• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

16AUG2021 SWO Board

Stefano2

SWO Applicant
@Stefano2, you need to listen to @exNavyOffRec.

If you don’t get picked up as an officer and go enlisted, you need to be okay to never become an officer. The AD guys and gals here who have been picked up are studs in their areas and have a great background.

For example, @Michael_J_Caboose got picked up for Intel Officer. One of 9 people picked up in the 1Mar21 IWC board out of 80 or so applicants (myself included). He’s a 13 year Marine veteran, still active duty, Master’s Degree in Middle Eastern Studies with a great GPA, speaks Arabic, and was a great candidate. That’s the type of AD sailor/Marine/airman/soldier that gets picked up for OCS from fleet. Someone who has really set themselves apart.

If being an officer is your goal, enlisting shouldn’t be your path. Especially with you being 22. I’m 33, Pro-Rec’d for SWO, have a 3.05 GPA with a BA/MBA/JD, and have ~5+ years of professional experience. You have plenty of time to improve your packet if you aren’t picked up this round.
Getting a better OAR score and some extra curricular activity’s seem like the only way to improve my packet? I also don’t plan on going from fleet to OCS, I figured I’d do one enlistment if I don’t get in first chance and then get out maybe pursue a career in law enforcement and apply again before I’m 30.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
I was one of the lucky ones. With over 10 years (I applied Marine Corps in 2014 and denied IST in 2018, I could have been rejected because I am unlikely to make it to O5. This was literally my last shot at an officer program and that door would have slammed on me. There are hurdles coming from the enlisted side because while you may have more credibility, one bad fitness report/eval, an injury, etc can make all of the difference. You have a clean slate as a civilian. Like @NavyOCSHopeful mentioned, only 1 other AD person was selected on my board and we were at the bottom of the select list.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Getting a better OAR score and some extra curricular activity’s seem like the only way to improve my packet?
Getting a better OAR score and some extra curricular activity’s seem like the only way to improve my packet? I also don’t plan on going from fleet to OCS, I figured I’d do one enlistment if I don’t get in first chance and then get out maybe pursue a career in law enforcement and apply again before I’m 30.
If you can shoot for a masters, that will help as well. Im working on my masters, and my undergrad cumulative GPA was around a 3.2 (I was a terrible student the first time around). I was able to prove that my GPA from being 18 was no longer holding me back and I addressed it in my Motivational statement. My record just backed up what I wrote.

I was one of the lucky ones. With over 10 years (I applied Marine Corps in 2014 and denied IST in 2018, I could have been rejected because I am unlikely to make it to O5. This was literally my last shot at an officer program and that door would have slammed on me. There are hurdles coming from the enlisted side because while you may have more credibility, one bad fitness report/eval, an injury, etc can make all of the difference. You have a clean slate as a civilian. Like @NavyOCSHopeful mentioned, only 1 other AD person was selected on my board and we were at the bottom of the select list.
Man I’m applying for SWO with 12 years TIS. The PA for the program just changed in March so I’m technically ineligible, but I’m hoping they’ll grant me an exception to policy with my LOR from our O-8 ?.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
At 22, you could do an enlistment and join an alphabet agency afterwards. ATF and FBI are agencies that actively recruit veterans. Make sure you keep in shape. I’m in great shape and the FBI’s PFT kicked my ass. Still did fairly well, but I was gassed real quick after a 300 meter sprint.

My suggestion would be to not enlist, get a year or two professional experience, get a Master’s, get a kickass GPA out of it, and re-apply for SWO. That is, if you don’t get in this round.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Man I’m applying for SWO with 12 years TIS. The PA for the program just changed in March so I’m technically ineligible, but I’m hoping they’ll grant me an exception to policy with my LOR from our O-8 ?.
That's the crappy thing. Those change so fast. I wanted CW and when I started the application process in 2017, I was eligible. In 2018, the PA changed and I could no longer apply for it. There was a part of me that wished the board would have looked at me and made an exception since I have over a decade of CTR, CTN, and CTI experience.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
You need to be honest with yourself.

What is your goal?

Be an officer? Or just serve in the military?

If your goal is just to serve, by all means, enlist. If your goal is to be an officer, do not enlist.

exNavyOffRec

You seem to have a better plan than most, I wish you the best on your SWO application but the most important thing is that it sounds as if you will be happy either way.

That's the crappy thing. Those change so fast. I wanted CW and when I started the application process in 2017, I was eligible. In 2018, the PA changed and I could no longer apply for it. There was a part of me that wished the board would have looked at me and made an exception since I have over a decade of CTR, CTN, and CTI experience.
Right! I started my package in late January. I’m also applying to Army OCS. I just know if I stay enlisted and don’t at least try for O, that I’m holding myself back.

CCCC1234

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. But I'm trying to dual process, really hoping I get accepted for SWO this board. My Officer Recruiter has mentioned that I don't need LORs. But it seems that people from this thread have them? What's going on? He just told me I need references

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Sorry if this is the wrong thread. But I'm trying to dual process, really hoping I get accepted for SWO this board. My Officer Recruiter has mentioned that I don't need LORs. But it seems that people from this thread have them? What's going on? He just told me I need references
You need LORs. Your OR is an idiot if he says otherwise. Try to get 3, with at least one being a former/current officer.

CCCC1234

You need LORs. Your OR is an idiot if he says otherwise. Try to get 3, with at least one being a former/current officer.

He told me we could get my packet in by the July 9th deadline. If I don't have LORs, would my packet still be able to submitted? And immediately rejected because it's technically incomplete? What would happen if submitted without those letters?