• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

16AUG2021 SWO Board

Stefano2

SWO Applicant
Hey! I’m planning on apply for this SWO board and figured I’d drop my stats in here.
GPA: 2.9 in Criminal Justice
OAR: 47
Male
No prior service but I’m dual-processing as an Aircrewman.
LOR from 1 SWO and two Navy Nurses all O-3 and below.
Can someone tell me where I can go to see past results of SWO boards? I don’t feel confident about my chances and would like to see how others did.

exNavyOffRec

Hey! I’m planning on apply for this SWO board and figured I’d drop my stats in here.
GPA: 2.9 in Criminal Justice
OAR: 47
Male
No prior service but I’m dual-processing as an Aircrewman.
LOR from 1 SWO and two Navy Nurses all O-3 and below.
Can someone tell me where I can go to see past results of SWO boards? I don’t feel confident about my chances and would like to see how others did.

Don't go enlisted if you want to be an officer.

Stefano2

SWO Applicant
Don't go enlisted if you want to be an officer.
I have no problem being an Aircrewman. Aircrew actually sounds like a much more fun job but I’d like to be a SWO either now or after one enlistment for career purposes. Plus I don’t think my SWO application is anywhere near competitive.

exNavyOffRec

I have no problem being an Aircrewman. Aircrew actually sounds like a much more fun job but I’d like to be a SWO either now or after one enlistment for career purposes. Plus I don’t think my SWO application is anywhere near competitive.
If you never get the chance to be an officer would you be OK with that?

If I don’t get in this time around or after one enlistment then I’ll probably move on?? What type of question is that?
The chance of getting picked up for an Officer program from one enlistment is pretty hard unless you’re shit hot. He’s trying to make sure you’re not settling if Officer is the goal. Like are you ok with spending years of your life in the organization and it possibly not happening.

exNavyOffRec

If I don’t get in this time around or after one enlistment then I’ll probably move on?? What type of question is that?

A very valid one if you look at what others have been told by their enlisted recruiters, too often they are told "if you go enlisted it will make you a stronger candidate" and that isn't true as the biggest weight is with GPA and degree.

There are a lot more hoops to jump through as enlisted.

Edit: your GPA isn't bad, it isn't great, but I have had people picked up that were in your GPA range.

Stefano2

SWO Applicant
A very valid one if you look at what others have been told by their enlisted recruiters, too often they are told "if you go enlisted it will make you a stronger candidate" and that isn't true as the biggest weight is with GPA and degree.

There are a lot more hoops to jump through as enlisted.
I understand the point you are both making but I already have a ship date for aircrew and I am actually very excited about that job. Because I already have a ship date I can’t wait around and apply to multiple boards.

exNavyOffRec

I understand the point you are both making but I already have a ship date for aircrew and I am actually very excited about that job. Because I already have a ship date I can’t wait around and apply to multiple boards.
If you are happy to be an Aircrewman then should you not get picked up SWO then go and enjoy your job as an Aircrewman, too many go enlisted as a stepping stone to officer when in 99% of the cases it isn't.

I had a guy with a 3.5 or so GPA in Mech Eng. that after we talked ended up going enlisted because he wanted to work on airplanes, not fly them, but turn wrenches on them, that is what made him happy so that is great for him.

You are one of the few that comes to this site saying dual processing that will really be happy in their enlisted job.

Stefano2

SWO Applicant
If you are happy to be an Aircrewman then should you not get picked up SWO then go and enjoy your job as an Aircrewman, too many go enlisted as a stepping stone to officer when in 99% of the cases it isn't.

I had a guy with a 3.5 or so GPA in Mech Eng. that after we talked ended up going enlisted because he wanted to work on airplanes, not fly them, but turn wrenches on them, that is what made him happy so that is great for him.

You are one of the few that comes to this site saying dual processing that will really be happy in their enlisted job.
But it’s not hurting me to give it a shot and apply to be a SWO? Other than doing some paperwork and if I get it that’s great but I have a poor gpa and an average OAR so I wanted a backup plan. I’d be happy in either job tbh. Not sure if you’re trying to say I should apply multiple times instead of enlisting or what?

exNavyOffRec

But it’s not hurting me to give it a shot and apply to be a SWO? Other than doing some paperwork and if I get it that’s great but I have a poor gpa and an average OAR so I wanted a backup plan. I’d be happy in either job tbh. Not sure if you’re trying to say I should apply multiple times instead of enlisting or what?
It isn't going to hurt you to try, but just realize once you go enlisted it is harder to get an application to the board..

Your GPA is a bit lower than average, and OAR really doesn't matter, so see what happens.

Stefano2

SWO Applicant
It isn't going to hurt you to try, but just realize once you go enlisted it is harder to get an application to the board..

Your GPA is a bit lower than average, and OAR really doesn't matter, so see what happens.
Id want to finish my enlistment and then apply, I don’t really plan on applying in the middle of my enlistment. I understand it’s hard to apply while active but it certainly can’t hurt if you have prior service right?

exNavyOffRec

Id want to finish my enlistment and then apply, I don’t really plan on applying in the middle of my enlistment. I understand it’s hard to apply while active but it certainly can’t hurt if you have prior service right?
If you do well it won't hurt, if you do bad it will hurt. It is one of those situations where it won't really help you but it can hurt you.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
@Stefano2, you need to listen to @exNavyOffRec.

If you don’t get picked up as an officer and go enlisted, you need to be okay to never become an officer. The AD guys and gals here who have been picked up are studs in their areas and have a great background.

For example, @Michael_J_Caboose got picked up for Intel Officer. One of 9 people picked up in the 1Mar21 IWC board out of 80 or so applicants (myself included). He’s a 13 year Marine veteran, still active duty, Master’s Degree in Middle Eastern Studies with a great GPA, speaks Arabic, and was a great candidate. That’s the type of AD sailor/Marine/airman/soldier that gets picked up for OCS from fleet. Someone who has really set themselves apart.

If being an officer is your goal, enlisting shouldn’t be your path. Especially with you being 22. I’m 33, Pro-Rec’d for SWO, have a 3.05 GPA with a BA/MBA/JD, and have ~5+ years of professional experience. You have plenty of time to improve your packet if you aren’t picked up this round.