• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stuck On What To Do On The Start Of My Aviation Career

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
BJJ people are warriors.
Oh Yeah Surprise GIF (GIF Image)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The Marine Corps has decided that martial arts is important enough to mandate all Marines demonstrate a minimum degree of proficiency in order to pass initial training as well as promote. BJJ people are warriors. That’s not kool aid.

It’s not just about getting sweaty and rolling around or feeling macho either. It’s a mental and physical chess match. BJJ is complex, develops physical literacy, mental toughness and discipline, requires vulnerability, humility, and spirit. When a 120 lbs nerd tosses you around like a rag doll and makes you feel helpless (and could actually kill you if he/she wanted to) it gives you something to think about.

Anyway, I got 300 PFTs from intermittent sprints and BJJ. Running more doesn’t always equal running faster or better. Just a recommendation. Good luck.

Holy crap dude, are you reading what you're saying?

Next you're going to tell people that you want to go HMLA because, "they're the grunts of the sky."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BJJ is complex, develops physical literacy, mental toughness and discipline, requires vulnerability, humility, and spirit. When a 120 lbs nerd tosses you around like a rag doll and makes you feel helpless (and could actually kill you if he/she wanted to) it gives you something to think about.

Yeah, it makes me think that might not be the best hobby to pursue as an applicant. If that 120 lb nerd doesn't quite know when to stop, he may just end any chance of going into the military as an aviator. It's all about risk management and removing obstacles. The OP has several obstacles, so why potentially put him in a situation to have another? That's what everyone is getting at.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
BJJ people are warriors.
That's the definition of Kool-Aid drinking. Do you wear red silkies and a yellow t-shirt when you do your BJJ? Yut, yut Devil Dog.....

Actually @HALpilot, didn’t you go through AOCS mid-80s? I remember when I got there, summer 85, they were talking about the person who had the O-Course record having been an aerobics instructor prior to joining. Got teased until he absolutely crushed the course.
I went through in 1983. I don't remember this but it seemed like every 4th or 5th class or so someone was setting a new O-course record.

PMPT

Don't listen to this guy about pilot career advice. He's still drowning in the green OCS/TBS Kool-Aid, and his goals are not aligned with yours in the slightest.

Listen to what the guys who have done what your goals are-military pilot and airlines. There is a place where you can do both at the same time, it's the ANG.
Plus once you get into the wing you realize you aren't at all in the Marine Corps that was drilled into your head in OCS and TBS.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Perhaps a change of website name is appropriate...airpeople?

Okay I’ll go home and drink my kool-aid now. :)
Don't doubt anyone else's warrior ability just because they don't do BJJ or whatever you consider to be warrior-like. Nerds throughout history made weapons so other nerds can be far deadlier than some guy who knows a martial art. I'm sure someone's tried to grapple with a hellfire from a drone but the thermobaric fireball ended that fight pretty quick.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That's fine to have the motivation to do BJJ or anything else like that. They got rid of boxing at OCS (was part of AOCS curriculum) but kept it at the Academy. I don't know if they still have the fighting holes at Marine Corps boot camp or not. None of it is all that different from parents who sign their kids up for karate lessons, except it's a little more serious.

Just don't be that guy who gets his ass kicked in a bar fight because your low SA got you into a situation where you should have known better and departed before it happened.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
@Jim123 makes good points.

Despite whatever MMA training you've received, never get in the ring on libbo in Pattaya with a 120 lb Thai kickboxer

The USMC MCMAP program didn’t translate well into the wing. Sure, it makes sense for the infantry. But for the wing, we were degrading readiness by losing crew chiefs to injury. They weren't getting the gentleman course pilots were getting.

Despite that, they made a film of my tan-belt prowess.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Don't doubt anyone else's warrior ability just because they don't do BJJ or whatever you consider to be warrior-like. Nerds throughout history made weapons so other nerds can be far deadlier than some guy who knows a martial art. I'm sure someone's tried to grapple with a hellfire from a drone but the thermobaric fireball ended that fight pretty quick.
You’re not wrong but the answer is somewhere in between. The Navy used to be an armed force. Now they’re scared shitless of servicemen wielding firearms. I think MCMAP is dumb as hell but I think the martial culture is meaningful. Will it win the next war? Probably not. But it couldn’t hurt.

I bet the Chinese are trusted to fly with a loaded pistol.

davidc1220

What's your training program? What are you specifically doing to get faster? Are you getting advice from, for example, a track coach or athletic trainer?
Right now I'm doing sprints but I do not have a set plan at the moment for the next 2 months or long term. Currently I can comfortably run about 2-3 miles but haven't done long distance in a bit. Other than that I'm focusing on Pullups and planks as well as weights and calisthenics

davidc1220

I've been working at this for many years, I've gotten my PFT run from 28 to 24 in about 2 months or 3 so its possible. I also heard that boxing or at least a boxers workout routine is good to condition for the rigors of OCS.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Right now I'm doing sprints but I do not have a set plan at the moment for the next 2 months or long term. Currently I can comfortably run about 2-3 miles but haven't done long distance in a bit. Other than that I'm focusing on Pullups and planks as well as weights and calisthenics
Guess what came up from “how to improve 3 mile run time” in google:

Comfortably running less than three miles is pointless. Run longer slower and run shorter faster.

davidc1220

Guess what came up from “how to improve 3 mile run time” in google:

Comfortably running less than three miles is pointless. Run longer slower and run shorter faster.
This is a good plan, definitely going to give this a go. Idk about 7 miles i'm not there yet but long distance run to start the week wouldn't be a bad idea

davidc1220

If you can’t run 5-8 miles at an 8 minute per mile pace you will have a tough time at ocs. That’s based on how it was in 05-06. I hope it’s not easier
That's actually still the same from when I went there and from current 2nd Lts who just graduated. Longest run over at OCS is 5 miles and the average pace of the runs were 3-5 miles at 830-9. Its the hills that gets everyone