• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stuck On What To Do On The Start Of My Aviation Career

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I've even considered flying rotors for the Army, as I would do the same in the Marines if it was offered. I dont want them to think I want an easy way in, which is why I'm not going for the enlisted trap
Army flying is very good flying, but don’t go into the army as an officer pilot...go as a warrant officer. It won’t do you much for airline work I don’t think but somewhere who have worked for the airlines would know much better.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Army flying is very good flying, but don’t go into the army as an officer pilot...go as a warrant officer. It won’t do you much for airline work I don’t think but somewhere who have worked for the airlines would know much better.
A friend of mine did the RW to ATP thing as a former HSC bubba and his classes were filled with former army guys. He left the airline hustle for a GS gig not too long ago after he got knocked down from Captain to FO and wasn't getting any hours following COVID impacts. Long story short I don't know how many of the RTP folks had jumped to the majors yet but if the OPs end goal is to fly for the airlines then they should avoid RW flying and find a place with lots of big wing time (USAF/ANG).

grodonfreeman

Bottom of the Totem Pole
If you go Marine air contract....
68% chance of flying rotary or tilt rotor (per 2016 stats).

If you want to be a military and airline pilot go to the ANG. Take the first pilot slot offered to you and don't look back.

Getting dropped from OCC or PLC may have been a blessing in disguise.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Can an applicant get an ANG flying gig without previous flight experience?

Sure they can. Though a lot of units like to see some civilian time.

Also, the ANG does a lot of hiring from within, so enlisting and hoping for a pilot slot isn't as much of a lost cause as it is on the AD side. there are folks did that enlisted while going to college and got picked up when they graduated to go to OCS and flight school.

Pags

N/A
pilot
A friend of mine did the RW to ATP thing as a former HSC bubba and his classes were filled with former army guys. He left the airline hustle for a GS gig not too long ago after he got knocked down from Captain to FO and wasn't getting any hours following COVID impacts. Long story short I don't know how many of the RTP folks had jumped to the majors yet but if the OPs end goal is to fly for the airlines then they should avoid RW flying and find a place with lots of big wing time (USAF/ANG).
One note: he was a captain at a regional and never made the jump to a major.

Mos

None
Thanks for all the replies and the humor ?? I will consider the ANG now that everyone says its an excellent idea. I feel like its my pride that gets to me about the idea of becoming a Marine. I was close then, I was dropped as a double category failure in academics and Leadership (by 1 point) on the 9th week, 12 days from graduation to be exact. I've been chasing that since I was a little kid, and those wings of gold are everything.

One thing I do fear is regret of not trying. I know a decision is going to have to be made, but I'm afraid of carrying a life where I never went after becoming Marine again even after coming so close yet so far. But again, my other fear is not making it to flight school before cutoff. AF cutoff is 33 so that's a good fallback.
I think it's possible that you'll have some regret if you don't go the military path. But it's something that you can move on from, and it will be easier to do if you forge a career successfully on the civilian side.
Whether you try the military again, ANG or United, expect to work hard. If it's Marines, get that PFT and ASTB squared away.

exNavyOffRec

To the OP you have been given a few ideas, if you want to try and be an officer then you need to get your ASTB up first, once that is done at least you have a chance, if you can't get a qualifying score then maybe it is a sign that the USMC isn't for you and that you should try another path.

davidc1220

Very true, I feel confident in the ASTB now, My PT is slowly improving but not where it has to be. Either way, I'm going to give it the best I can, because if I go down, at least I'd go down trying and no matter what it gets to the end goal of flying

grodonfreeman

Bottom of the Totem Pole
I was dropped as a double category failure in academics and Leadership (by 1 point) on the 9th week, 12 days from graduation to be exact.

OP: Please take care of any underlying leadership or social issues that surfaced at Brown Field. We all need to fix such matters --no matter where we go.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hello All,

So I've always wanted to fly. I've also always wanted to fly for the military and commercial airlines. My big deal is i'm stuck with so many opportunities.

First off, I would love to fly for the Marine Corps. I've wanted to be a Marine and a pilot for them since i was younger. I went to OCS back in 2017 but was dropped with the chance to reapply for a future date. Ever since then, I've been working to get back to OCS and although I've faced a lot of changes with different Officer Selection Officers, I'm currently working to land an Air contract with my current Officer Selection Team. The only thing is, my PFT is still not where it has to be, and for whatever reason they keep pushing for the enlisted to officer route, which won't work for me due to me being 25 and that path possibly being too risky to either pass the cutoff for flight school at 28, or never get a chance to go to OCS.

I have taken the ASTB and missed it by one point, So i will be retaking it soon

I am currently looking to expand my options with the Air Force and the Army, but I'm afraid that I may be giving up on something I have been working on for so long. Different Government agencies are also on my list as well, But I wouldn't be able to fly for the military in any sense which I would fear, would make me feel like I'm missing out on adventure. I may also look at Air national Guard as well. I've even considered the Reserves because I have a pretty good job, but some branches like the Marines do not allow Officer Candidates to be in the reserves when going for an Air Contract.

Lastly, I am also looking into a program United is creating to pay for inexperienced pilots to receive free PPL training in order to continue the pipeline to become a United First Officer. The program was created because United is looking to hire 10,000 pilots within the next decade.

As you can see I have a lot of options, almost too many. I just want to know, based on what you've read, What would you do? What would you avoid? Do you know of any other options? Anything Helps, Thanks again y'all

David

100% stay away from a OCC/PLC ground contract.
10000% stay away from the enlisted Marine Corps route.

Go for the guard/airline combo.

Off the top of my head AA, UAL, Alaska and JetBlue and their respective regionals have some sort of cadet and even 0 flight hours to airline pilot pathway program.

Can an applicant get an ANG flying gig without previous flight experience?

Yes…

0621 Hertz

Coast Guard is great, however you have to compete for an Air Slot during OCS, no guaranteed contracts like Navy and Marines. And the number of slots depend on how many Academy students and how many prior service they hired that year.

Being a Marine is cool and all until it's time to do Marine shit. But the only way to fly what you want, where you want, and not get fucked with is ANG. (Maybe Air Force Reserve too, perhaps look into that)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you are having a hard time meeting the Marine PR standards, why would you want to subject yourself to 10+ years of having a hard time meeting those standards? Especially since as an officer, you’ll be hammered if you don’t score max?