• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stuck On What To Do On The Start Of My Aviation Career

exNavyOffRec

• Your flight hour requirements are the same as active duty, so be prepared for significantly more commitment than 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. You will have to plan to fly two hours a week, which means at least four hours of duty, at least once a week (48 hours total, 9 hours NVGs, 3 hours instrument, 1 hour night unaided every 6 months. 18 hours of simulator a year)
In my day job I run into some who were pilots in different branches that went to the National Guard but only for a few years, the common answer they gave as to why they stopped was they didn't have the time. The breakdown of hours showing what it takes to fly in the NG explains why they said that.

RoarkJr.

Why would you do BJJ and risk a ligament tear, a broken bone or something similar when you have to get through the full flight medical before you get your wings?

There is no more risk in doing BJJ than there is in basketball or long distance running, etc. and there are more benefits, e.g. you’re in the military and can fight. I would say nowadays it’s “the” martial art, not an alternative one.

It’s a specific recommendation for a reason. I recommend listening to what Jocko Willink, Kelly Slater, Dwayne Johnson, Joe Rogan, many others all have to say about it. Perfect for someone in OPs position. I wouldn’t be here without it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There is no more risk in doing BJJ than there is in basketball or long distance running, etc. and there are more benefits, e.g. you’re in the military and can fight. I would say nowadays it’s “the” martial art, not an alternative one.

It’s a specific recommendation for a reason. I recommend listening to what Jocko Willink, Kelly Slater, Dwayne Johnson, Joe Rogan, many others all have to say about it. Perfect for someone in OPs position. I wouldn’t be here without it.

Yep. There's that green Kool-Aide again.

It's completely stupid to put yourself in a situation where you're depending upon someone else to not go full baboon on you to avoid getting hurt.

For some reason, Marines like to get sweaty and roll around on a mat with each other. They think it makes them more macho. I suppose they have to feel good about themselves somehow.

One person in my ANG wing does any type of martial arts. She's an MMA fighter, and she's our finance NCO.

taxi1

pilot
There is no more risk in doing BJJ than there is in basketball or long distance running, etc. and there are more benefits, e.g. you’re in the military and can fight.
Love MA, but I've got a bunch of long-lasting injuries from it now, which sucks. Careful with your joints.

But more importantly, the OP's laser focus needs to be on the fitness test coming up, particularly the running part as he notes. You run faster for longer by training to run faster for longer.

RoarkJr.

Yep. There's that green Kool-Aide again.

It's completely stupid to put yourself in a situation where you're depending upon someone else to not go full baboon on you to avoid getting hurt.

For some reason, Marines like to get sweaty and roll around on a mat with each other. They think it makes them more macho. I suppose they have to feel good about themselves somehow.

One person in my ANG wing does any type of martial arts. She's an MMA fighter, and she's our finance NCO.
The Marine Corps has decided that martial arts is important enough to mandate all Marines demonstrate a minimum degree of proficiency in order to pass initial training as well as promote. BJJ people are warriors. That’s not kool aid.

It’s not just about getting sweaty and rolling around or feeling macho either. It’s a mental and physical chess match. BJJ is complex, develops physical literacy, mental toughness and discipline, requires vulnerability, humility, and spirit. When a 120 lbs nerd tosses you around like a rag doll and makes you feel helpless (and could actually kill you if he/she wanted to) it gives you something to think about.

Anyway, I got 300 PFTs from intermittent sprints and BJJ. Running more doesn’t always equal running faster or better. Just a recommendation. Good luck.

Pags

N/A
pilot

It's great that BJJ worked for you and for those folks. But each person has to find their own way and their own spark. It's certainly an option but so are a million other things and I could find an equally impressive list of names that would credit their success to pursuits other than BJJ.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Marine Corps has decided that martial arts is important enough to mandate all Marines demonstrate a minimum degree of proficiency in order to pass initial training as well as promote. BJJ people are warriors. That’s not kool aid.

It’s not just about getting sweaty and rolling around or feeling macho either. It’s a mental and physical chess match. BJJ is complex, develops physical literacy, mental toughness and discipline, requires vulnerability, humility, and spirit. When a 120 lbs nerd tosses you around like a rag doll and makes you feel helpless (and could actually kill you if he/she wanted to) it gives you something to think about.

Anyway, I got 300 PFTs from intermittent sprints and BJJ. Running more doesn’t always equal running faster or better. Just a recommendation. Good luck.
Back in the 1980’s those of us with an 03xx MOS didn’t know what it was called, but we knew the sound it made when we punched the 120 lb nerd in the temple and he dropped regardless of his MA training.

taxi1

pilot
I was going to recommend jazzercise
Actually @HALpilot, didn’t you go through AOCS mid-80s? I remember when I got there, summer 85, they were talking about the person who had the O-Course record having been an aerobics instructor prior to joining. Got teased until he absolutely crushed the course.