• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stuck On What To Do On The Start Of My Aviation Career

davidc1220

Hello All,

So I've always wanted to fly. I've also always wanted to fly for the military and commercial airlines. My big deal is i'm stuck with so many opportunities.

First off, I would love to fly for the Marine Corps. I've wanted to be a Marine and a pilot for them since i was younger. I went to OCS back in 2017 but was dropped with the chance to reapply for a future date. Ever since then, I've been working to get back to OCS and although I've faced a lot of changes with different Officer Selection Officers, I'm currently working to land an Air contract with my current Officer Selection Team. The only thing is, my PFT is still not where it has to be, and for whatever reason they keep pushing for the enlisted to officer route, which won't work for me due to me being 25 and that path possibly being too risky to either pass the cutoff for flight school at 28, or never get a chance to go to OCS.

I have taken the ASTB and missed it by one point, So i will be retaking it soon

I am currently looking to expand my options with the Air Force and the Army, but I'm afraid that I may be giving up on something I have been working on for so long. Different Government agencies are also on my list as well, But I wouldn't be able to fly for the military in any sense which I would fear, would make me feel like I'm missing out on adventure. I may also look at Air national Guard as well. I've even considered the Reserves because I have a pretty good job, but some branches like the Marines do not allow Officer Candidates to be in the reserves when going for an Air Contract.

Lastly, I am also looking into a program United is creating to pay for inexperienced pilots to receive free PPL training in order to continue the pipeline to become a United First Officer. The program was created because United is looking to hire 10,000 pilots within the next decade.

As you can see I have a lot of options, almost too many. I just want to know, based on what you've read, What would you do? What would you avoid? Do you know of any other options? Anything Helps, Thanks again y'all

David

RoarkJr.

Why is your PFT low? What was the OCS drop from?

If you don't go back and try to pass OCS then you'll have to look back on that failure for the rest of your life. Sure, you might end up happy elsewhere, and maybe you wouldn't give it a second thought, but also, maybe you would, and it will always be the case that you wanted to go Marines, went to OCS, but didn't make the cut.

To be clear, there is nothing "wrong" in a moral sense with things not working out in one place and moving on to a different path. Not at all. We all make mistakes or fall short or whatever else at some point in our lives. However, if you really want to be a Marine, have specific things you can work on to improve AND have the opportunity to return...don't let that get away from you if you can help it. I think that sums up my point.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Swanee is right. Go to the ANG. Fly something big with lots of engines that's gonna be around for a while; try to read the tea leaves and see if the platform is gonna be around or if it's likely to end up on the chopping block for preds or reapers (nothing wrong with those, but you want to accumulate hours). Get a job with a regional that's got a flow to mainline. Get your seniority number before you're 35.

Never worry about your PFT again. Never worry about a grunt appreciation tour. Never worry about a general talking about having pilots by the short and curlies in a congressional hearing. Fly airplanes, bang flight attendants if that's your thing, drink, fart, live happily every after. You're welcome.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Everyone here is right in some way or another. There is flying and there is flying. To some people sitting in front of a big tube and watching clouds roll by while they manage the cockpit is great stuff (especially when you are making great money) while for others if you aren't going fast and low it doesn't count for much (but always know that fast and low typically equals less time in the air). For some, having those gold wings is worth what ever follows, for others military flying is just a "free" trip to flight school and wings are just things you put in a drawer until dress-up day. Decide which you are and run that direction.

The truth is you will probably find some dissatisfaction along either path and after about four or five years the type of uniform you wear becomes less and less meaningful. I like the advice to go to the ANG assuming you want to eventually be an airline pilot - as others have noted - best of both worlds.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Why Marines over Navy?

I’m certainly not pushing you to go Navy. ANG is certainly a good option if you also want to fly commercial. Navy is another option though and we care less about the PT stuff than the Marines. Therefore, you might have a easier time getting in.

Under no circumstances fall for the “enlisted to officer” route. That’s a trap. If you have a college degree already and you want to fly, don’t accept any offer that doesn’t involve flying....as a pilot, not a crewman.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Why is your PFT low? What was the OCS drop from?

If you don't go back and try to pass OCS then you'll have to look back on that failure for the rest of your life. Sure, you might end up happy elsewhere, and maybe you wouldn't give it a second thought, but also, maybe you would, and it will always be the case that you wanted to go Marines, went to OCS, but didn't make the cut.

To be clear, there is nothing "wrong" in a moral sense with things not working out in one place and moving on to a different path. Not at all. We all make mistakes or fall short or whatever else at some point in our lives. However, if you really want to be a Marine, have specific things you can work on to improve AND have the opportunity to return...don't let that get away from you if you can help it. I think that sums up my point.

Don't listen to this guy about pilot career advice. He's still drowning in the green OCS/TBS Kool-Aid, and his goals are not aligned with yours in the slightest.

Listen to what the guys who have done what your goals are-military pilot and airlines. There is a place where you can do both at the same time, it's the ANG.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Don't listen to this guy about pilot career advice. He's still drowning in the green OCS/TBS Kool-Aid, and his goals are not aligned with yours in the slightest.

Listen to what the guys who have done what your goals are-military pilot and airlines. There is a place where you can do both as the same time, it's the ANG.
But, but...the uniforms!

MGoBrew11

pilot
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a Marine and also wanting to fly. Just know that the culture of the Marine Corps is going to be very much Marine first, aviator second.

Navy is less “oorah” than Marine Corps but you can expect to still deal with service specific annoyances. I don’t regret a minute of my Navy service but I also didn’t join with the goal of going airlines.

If all you care about is flying and cash, listen to the ANG guys.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Don't forget the Coast Guard. Best of both worlds, less institutional bullshit, real impact missions, unique duty stations, same gold wings, better family life, less underway time, and same opportunities after service. C-27s or HC-130s if you get the chance.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Don't forget the Coast Guard. Best of both worlds, less institutional bullshit, real impact missions, unique duty stations, same gold wings, better family life, less underway time, and same opportunities after service. C-27s or HC-130s if you get the chance.

100%. And some of us are still trying for the Coast Guard dream, even if it means that two rank demotion...

davidc1220

Thanks for all the replies and the humor ?? I will consider the ANG now that everyone says its an excellent idea. I feel like its my pride that gets to me about the idea of becoming a Marine. I was close then, I was dropped as a double category failure in academics and Leadership (by 1 point) on the 9th week, 12 days from graduation to be exact. I've been chasing that since I was a little kid, and those wings of gold are everything.

One thing I do fear is regret of not trying. I know a decision is going to have to be made, but I'm afraid of carrying a life where I never went after becoming Marine again even after coming so close yet so far. But again, my other fear is not making it to flight school before cutoff. AF cutoff is 33 so that's a good fallback.

davidc1220

I've even considered flying rotors for the Army, as I would do the same in the Marines if it was offered. I dont want them to think I want an easy way in, which is why I'm not going for the enlisted trap

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Can an applicant get an ANG flying gig without previous flight experience?
It depends on what each unit's hiring board is asking at the time. Have a look through old ANG hiring announcements on baseops.net, bogidope, pilot network, or other groups like that. That'll probably give you a good feel for what to expect. These kinds of things ebb and flow over the years (as the economy and other factors change too), so don't just look back only a few months. What is competitive right now isn't always the same as what was true six months ago or five years ago.