• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stuck On What To Do On The Start Of My Aviation Career

RoarkJr.

If you are having a hard time meeting the Marine PR standards, why would you want to subject yourself to 10+ years of having a hard time meeting those standards? Especially since as an officer, you’ll be hammered if you don’t score max?
Who gets hammered for not getting maxed out PT scores?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Who gets hammered for not getting maxed out PT scores?
I hear Marine officer talk (or complain if they’re not jocks always scoring 290-300) all the time about how much PT scores affect their fitness reports/evaluations and even their orders.

It’s been said on this site too.

davidc1220

So far The biggest problem I'm having with my PFT is the run, I've never been a strong runner so I'm working on that for sure, trying to get faster to a 2000 3 mile from a 2438 3 mile. OSO said if I can get at least a 280 or somewhere around there on a PFT on July 8th, I can contract as early as July 15th

The leadership issues I faced during OCS have naturally been resolved from maturity and responsibility. I was very sheltered going to OCS and in the end very dependent on others. Living on my own and being an adult I've learned to combat all of that. I'm definitely not the same person I was 4 years ago

I've tried contacting an AF officer recruiter but no luck. I'll keep trying but haven't heard anything. Like I said I'm staying away from the enlisted route because of my age being to close to cut offs for flight school so hopefully the Marines or anyone doesn't give up on me as I haven't given up on them.

davidc1220

The only thing affecting me with the airline programs is the costs, but maybe there are scholarships out there for college graduates like me

davidc1220

Coast guard seems like a good road except I feel its even more competitive than the others, almost like the Air Force. The good thing is most people going into the Marines are looking to go ground rather than Air.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So far The biggest problem I'm having with my PFT is the run, I've never been a strong runner so I'm working on that for sure, trying to get faster to a 2000 3 mile from a 2438 3 mile. OSO said if I can get at least a 280 or somewhere around there on a PFT on July 8th, I can contract as early as July 15th

The leadership issues I faced during OCS have naturally been resolved from maturity and responsibility. I was very sheltered going to OCS and in the end very dependent on others. Living on my own and being an adult I've learned to combat all of that. I'm definitely not the same person I was 4 years ago

I've tried contacting an AF officer recruiter but no luck. I'll keep trying but haven't heard anything. Like I said I'm staying away from the enlisted route because of my age being to close to cut offs for flight school so hopefully the Marines or anyone doesn't give up on me as I haven't given up on them.
Look, I started out as a Marine and I really do love to hate the Corps and hate to love the Corps. Even though it was a billion years ago it still has meaning in my life and always will. But, you don’t seem to be there. I get that you want to fly...trust me...but really you need to reset and take another route. As others have said the Marines aren’t an aviation service...they are a service with airplanes. They would rather contract out their air operations then give up their “Corpsness.”

So, listen to the others here. Try the National Guard or reserves. Personally, I recommend the National Guard (better benefits in most states) but either will do. Don’t dismiss the Army NG or flying helicopters, they can still serve as a gateway to the regionals. Final analysis, the Corps is not for you.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Shedding 4+ minutes from a run time is going to take a lot of work.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
About the National Guard...

• No street to seat program, so if you want to fly, you'll have to enlist and put in a flight packet or commission and get accepted to flight school
  • You are a soldier first, a pilot second (or third if you are a commissioned officer)
  • Your flight hour requirements are the same as active duty, so be prepared for significantly more commitment than 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. You will have to plan to fly two hours a week, which means at least four hours of duty, at least once a week (48 hours total, 9 hours NVGs, 3 hours instrument, 1 hour night unaided every 6 months. 18 hours of simulator a year)
  • You WILL deploy to austere places on the planet. See Hardest Post
  • Many national guard units have additional specialized missions. For example, in Florida, be prepared to spend a week sleeping on the floor of an FBO or in a hangar once each year during hurricane season. This is NOT part of your annual 2-4 weeks of annual training.
  • If you really want to fly in the Army National Guard, be a warrant officer
FWIW, lack of leadership and maturity are not a show stopper in the Guard at this point.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
About the National Guard...

• No street to seat program, so if you want to fly, you'll have to enlist and put in a flight packet or commission and get accepted to flight school
  • You are a soldier first, a pilot second (or third if you are a commissioned officer)
  • Your flight hour requirements are the same as active duty, so be prepared for significantly more commitment than 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. You will have to plan to fly two hours a week, which means at least four hours of duty, at least once a week (48 hours total, 9 hours NVGs, 3 hours instrument, 1 hour night unaided every 6 months. 18 hours of simulator a year)
  • You WILL deploy to austere places on the planet. See Hardest Post
  • Many national guard units have additional specialized missions. For example, in Florida, be prepared to spend a week sleeping on the floor of an FBO or in a hangar once each year during hurricane season. This is NOT part of your annual 2-4 weeks of annual training.
  • If you really want to fly in the Army National Guard, be a warrant officer
FWIW, lack of leadership and maturity are not a show stopper in the Guard at this point.
Knowledges.....take this to heart @davidc1220.

As a retired Guardsman (not aviation) I will add that it has never just been just “1 weekend a month and two weeks in the summer!”

davidc1220

I will definitely consider it, its a good path and a path that seems rewarding in its own nature. The good thing is my options are open, but I have to get a move on because soon they will close one by one

RoarkJr.

Former 300’er here: Intermittent sprints, less long distance. Rest often. Start BJJ for confidence/cardio.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What's your training program? What are you specifically doing to get faster? Are you getting advice from, for example, a track coach or athletic trainer?
Yeah, if you're bound and determined to improve your run time you probably need professional help. In hindsight, I wish when I was running that I had got some formal training to improve form, process, etc. My wife had run track in HS and had been properly trained and had a lot fewer injuries, issues, etc.