• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stuck On What To Do On The Start Of My Aviation Career

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just playing devil's advocate here since there is a ton of negative connotations with specifically Marine but also Navy aviation. I am not a company man but any means, but I got a lot out of my time with the Marines besides flight hours. I would temper your previous experience with the USMC based off of your time in training commands and the VMU. TR time is now being accepted by airlines as powered lift (Unless something has changed again), and recent force structure changes will increase the number of VMGR squadrons in the next decade. There will be a reduction in HMH and HMLA squadrons that will increase more TR and FW opportunities in the mid to long term. This does not include all of the B-Billet flying opportunities VMR, MATSG, HMX, TPS, VMX, Station and other flying billets that have large FW time building opportunities in an 8 year contract.

I have not met a pilot who preformed well in a fleet squadron and was not able to stay in the cockpit for his B-Billet. Not saying it doesn't happen, but a pilot shortage means most pilots have to stay on DIFOP orders most of the time. I agree that if the only thing you want do is fly for the airlines then go the ANG, but if you're looking for a scenic route with other pro/cons then Marine aviation isn't a bad gig nor is the Navy. It's just not as exciting as +10 years ago when we were in sustained combat operations.

My experiences, for better or worse, have led to me where I am, and I'm grateful for them.

The Marine Corps is a good place to be from. The Marines who I developed relationships with (largely on the manned side, but the unmanned as well) and some hard work got me to where I am now- and it's a great place, and it really feels like home. I don't have to prove any macho bullshit. No one has to pretend that we carry our weight here, our TMS had a real world daily mission. And then I go home and have dinner (or breakfast, because this is 24/365 shift work) with the wife.

But I didn't stop talking and drinking beers with my manned buddies. I was still a best man in weddings, still going to conferences with, still as much a part of Marine Aviation as anyone else. As much as the USMC tried to ostricize me from "real" aviation (because I wasn't great at landing a Hornet on a boat, and no one told me I was a deck spotter until my FFPB...) those relationships never diminished.

And then I'm also surrounded by airline dudes, and dudes who flew with every service. They all say similar things. 1) they love where they came from, but it's not the smartest choice for new guys, 2) get into the airlines as early as possible, 3) the Guard is the best kept secret in the military.

davidc1220

I think my big thing is service to country and then flying. I would love to fly for the airlines one day, but I want to make a career out of the service. God willing they let me stay in for 20 years.
My plan is to go to the Marines (or any other branch if they don't work out) fly for them for however long. Retire or go reserves after 20 years and be a full fledged airline pilot or fly for reserves and airline at the same time

I knew a guy who did that in the Marines, he was flying for the Marines for 20 years Active and then then went reserves while flying for American for another 24 years, retiring from the Marines as a brigadier General after 44 years of service.

bbailey10

You need to concentrate on surviving the winters at Buzzards Bay! After that you can swim over to Camp Edwards and fly helicopters for the 126th...the MAANG turned in her F-15's for UAVs.

Just kidding, good luck.
They were a tad cold, but I survived them. Ha I wish. Graduating in a month from now so we will see what the future holds. Looking at an ANG opening in RI and at the USN for a pilot slot. Saw this thread and it sort of pertain to me as well.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
They were a tad cold, but I survived them. Ha I wish. Graduating in a month from now so we will see what the future holds. Looking at an ANG opening in RI and at the USN for a pilot slot. Saw this thread and it sort of pertain to me as well.
Good luck young man, I mean it.

If you are a New England lad you can look up the NH ANG unit flying tankers...they are always busy. Last I heard the 126th was looking for UH-60 drivers. What are they flying in RI?

bbailey10

Good luck young man, I mean it.

If you are a New England lad you can look up the NH ANG unit flying tankers...they are always busy. Last I heard the 126th was looking for UH-60 drivers. What are they flying in RI?
I will definitely have to check that out! Thanks for the lead. They are flying C-130Js out of North Kingston, RI. It is about an hour away from me so it isn't too bad.