• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
It might have done a bit better, had he found an engine that was capable of moving that heavy beast. And people think my car is heavy. Though with their construction, DeLoreans will be around forever. Just not running.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
Not everything becomes classic. Look at 80s cars. *shudder*. Now 80s music... HELL YEAH!

Being a mustang guy, I know some people who swear by the Fox body's. Especially the 87 up stangs. Those things started the revolution.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Ok dudes, you want a real 80's classic? Probably the only classic to come out of Detroit that decade, like lowflier mentioned, the one and only, the Corvette killer 1987 Buick Grand National GNX.
For those boys and girls who don't know try doing a search for one and before you get tired of searching try finding one for less than $30K.

Forget about any other post 70's classic...this is the one I want on my garage!
JPG413.JPG

Of course I would park it right besides a 1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 50th Anniverary Edition, it's Japanese 80's classic counterpart.
steves.84ae.fr.jpg

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Those are 2 excellent choices. Its not uncommon to see GNX's with over 1000HP. I wish Buick would make a modern version of that car. As for the Fox Bodys....absolute crap. Handling sucked big time, the only thing going for them was the 5.0 motor...and eventually Ford took that away. Unfortunately Ford took what used to be a great sports/muscle car and made into a watered down, cookie cutter, sporty car. Perhaps the new GT350 will come close to the classic.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Mefesto said:
And as far as that Elise speaking for itself... I'm having a hard time hearing it over my 6.0L V-8!!! I also seem to remember seeing that same picture in one of my car mags... Yooooour Elise? It's also go no plates?

Never said that pic was of mine!!! All I said was that the guy looking at it seemed to like it, especially the person taking the picture from the front. Maybe you should read what is actually said and not what you want to be said. Mine is actually Green although the Orange is an awesome color. Being that the car is on back order you don't get that much of a choice as to what color you get if you just want to get it fast. I got mine 2 months earlier than promised. I wouldn't even have the car yet had I not! I don't have any pics of mine on my work computer. Now, I need to get back to my lunch break and then go to a meeting.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Actually that review makes it sound like the car is designed with performance in mind. Closely spaced pedals makes it easier to heel-toe on shifts and cornering. The car obviously wasnt made for very large people, but for the average sized person, I bet its a nice fit. I actually like cars that are set up with everything close and that you feel snug in. It takes less time to feel in tune with the car.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
A more snug car also saves the driver from being thrown across the car on tight turns. Not so much of a concern for all of you straightaway-obsessed guys, I'm sure, but it's nice to be able to take hairpins and stay in your seat.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Yes, everyone hates rice. Especially a FWD Honda with a wing thats supposed to increase downforce on the rear wheels, etc.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cate said:
A more snug car also saves the driver from being thrown across the car on tight turns. Not so much of a concern for all of you straightaway-obsessed guys, I'm sure, but it's nice to be able to take hairpins and stay in your seat.

sorry chick, but that's the seats and harnesses job.... has nothing to do with the cars interior size. apparently, you don't watch any trans am racing.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
squeeze said:
sorry chick, but that's the seats and harnesses job.... has nothing to do with the cars interior size. apparently, you don't watch any trans am racing.
Apparently you don't do a lot of autocrossing. Unless you want to shell out for a racing seat and a five-point harness, you're going to want a fairly snug interior that holds onto you and keeps all of your controls close at hand. The last thing you want is to be reaching halfway across the front seat for the gearshift as you're going into a corner, or for your foot to slide under the gas pedal coming out of it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
UInavy said:
Bunk- Are you a fan of the 03-04 Mach 1's by any chance?

I was actually trying to buy a new Mach when I ran across my 03 Cobra. At the time I had a h/c/i supercharged 1995 Mustang GT and wanted a daily driver. Ended up selling the supercharged 95 and got the more expensive Cobra. So yes, I'm a fan.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cate said:
Apparently you don't do a lot of autocrossing. Unless you want to shell out for a racing seat and a five-point harness, you're going to want a fairly snug interior that holds onto you and keeps all of your controls close at hand. The last thing you want is to be reaching halfway across the front seat for the gearshift as you're going into a corner, or for your foot to slide under the gas pedal coming out of it.

actually, i've autocrossed quite a bit. and open-tracked. and drag raced. and raced motorcycles. I'm fairly confident I'm a little more up to speed on racing dynamics than you. hell, my camaro had a 6pt cage and harnesses. if you can't manage to keep your arms and legs from flailing in the cabin, you might want to get checked out for epilepsy. go look inside a transam car... it's not molded around the persons body... they expect some semblance of facilities control when it comes to racing. I dont know about you, but just about every car I've driven has the gearshift within easy reach (excluding f/s trucks or three-on-the-tree) you're really talking out your ass... but please, continue, it's pretty hilarious.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Wow, that was pretty harsh, considering you're both right and not so right too. European and Japanese sportscars are designed very different from american cars (exluding the Corvette) comfort and luxury are not in the menu, and it's true, driver's position in relation to the gearshift and steering wheel IS diferent than your Camaro, the seat position is not as high to lower the center of gravity so the gearshift sits a lot higher, closer to armrest position. When you see some american racecars the steering wheel and gearshift are repositioned, closer to the driver, that's why the shorter short throw shifter is not as popular US cars, they sell short throw that stands about the same height.
The Lotus is designed that way, just as a performance car, you can see this in cars like the 300ZX, Ferrari, RX-7, M Coupe, they're almost too tight...cars that you have to get used to driving every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.