• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
SteveG75 said:
Nice car. I think you have the Mustang on power to weight. On a dollar value, the Mustang may have the edge.
Thank you. But my car only cost $40,000.00. Granted twice as much as the mustang but not nearly the cost as other high performance sports cars. Believe me I would love to buy a Saleen S7 but I have to earn $500,000.00 first, hahaha!

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
bunk22 said:
I absolutely agree......if you like chick cars ;)

I am a chick :icon_long

Of course if you walked up to an F1 driver and said that they'd probably punch you. :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
HOORAH said:
I am a chick :icon_long

Well, that explains your taste in cars then :D

HOORAH said:
Of course if you walked up to an F1 driver and said that they'd probably punch you. :D

I doubt that but you never know.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Mefesto said:
You just listed 3 american cars that will beat it, and I'd be willing to bet an SRT-4, Cobra, CTS-V, and a few other american cars would spank it around a track... never mind straight line.

That's not a fair statement, the RX-8 is an entry level car, just like a Neon, GT and CTS were when they came out, the 3 you mentioned are top of the line expensive cars, therefore it's a different catergory. It's like putting a WRX against the SVT Cobra instead of an STi. And still the numbers are really close those three are pretty close on the track with the RX-8, and if they are faster it's not by much.

Hell, I'll kick all their asses with my elder '87 RX-7 Turbo II, I know what your going to say.....OK, put $4.5k on any '87 american car and bring him on including Vettes...uhhh, except the Grand National, specially a GNX...I'll concede there with no arguments.....

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
LOL hey wait a minute...my Mom calls me poncho!! Even though I'm a die hard RX guy my devotion stops at the RX-7TT.....I don't like the RX-8! It's just that it gets impressive numbers at the track for the weak ass engine it has.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, a friend of mine and I were talking about cars, past and present. Everyone gawks at cars from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and some 70s. Will people ever gawk at cars from the 90s and 00s? We seriously doubt it. They don't have the same look as those classic cars. Then again, they're "modern" for us... so maybe someone will find them classic?

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Discussion I was having with a design guy from GM: it takes about 20 years for something to become a classic. '70s cars become classics, '80s fashion becomes retro, '70s furniture becomes retromodern. Anything you buy right now is likely to look dated within five years (cars tend to last a little longer), but in another fifteen, you could be making bank, assuming that the car holds up that long. And I think that'd be the biggest thing standing between today's cars and tomorrow's classics: a great many cars today are such absolute crap in terms of construction that they might not survive to become classics, while yesterday's well-preserved '66 GTO will be a superclassic.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cate said:
......... a great many cars today are such absolute crap in terms of construction that they might not survive to become classics, while yesterday's well-preserved '66 GTO will be a superclassic.

Cate .... now you're on the "muscle car" thread ???? Welcome aboard, but be careful you don't lose your "evil liberal" press credentials as a result ... :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cate said:
Discussion I was having with a design guy from GM: it takes about 20 years for something to become a classic. '70s cars become classics, '80s fashion becomes retro, '70s furniture becomes retromodern. Anything you buy right now is likely to look dated within five years (cars tend to last a little longer), but in another fifteen, you could be making bank, assuming that the car holds up that long. And I think that'd be the biggest thing standing between today's cars and tomorrow's classics: a great many cars today are such absolute crap in terms of construction that they might not survive to become classics, while yesterday's well-preserved '66 GTO will be a superclassic.

Not everything becomes classic. Look at 80s cars. *shudder*. Now 80s music... HELL YEAH!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I can tell you when I'm 55, I'll look at a "Classic" 2001 Camaro SS and think back to when I owned one... then probably pay 10 times the original sticker for it.

You won't look back and be misty eyed about owning it in the past. You'll be misty eyed because you'll no longer be able to legally drive it on the road because the Greenies will legislate them out ;)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I dont think any 80's cars will become classics with the exception of Ferrari, Porsche and maybe a select few models that had great performance for their class. ie 300zx, GNX and the mitsubishi vr4's of the era.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the DeLorean is a classic like back to the future and stuff. Our Group CO has one

Cate

Pretty much invincible
In John DeLorean's defense, the car was fairly sporty and innovative for its time. It just wasn't as flashy and fancy as its flashy-fancy competitors (think Porsche, Mazda) for the price. The economic situation at the time didn't help, either. Nor did that whole cocaine smuggling thing.

It is funny to think, though, about how John DeLorean pretty much gave birth to the GTO and the muscle car era in one fell swoop, and then decided to jaunt off on his own and create... a gullwing time machine that ran on garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.