• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Mefesto said:
When's the last time your rolled up to a stop light, rolled down your window, and yelled "Yeah? Well I can kick your ass in a turn!." :icon_tong Gimmie a break.

We'll meet up sometime and you can bring your car and I'll bring mine and we'll go to either Tantalus or Japan and we'll talk about sraight line speed and how handling is just a parlor trick. My little 180 will stomp out your big bad domestic on each and every turn and not even care. All depends on what the car is made for, don't see why people are trying to compare apples and oranges.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
squeeze said:
I'm fairly confident I'm a little more up to speed on racing dynamics than you.
That's quite the claim, considering how little you know about me.

Ryoukai

Mefesto said:
As far as anything decent coming out of Japan now.. the only thing that comes to mind is the STi and Evo... mean while the US is putting out the SRT-8, SRT-4, GTO, GT, (I hear the Cobalt SS is supposed to be fast), Vette, SRT-10, Lightning, Viper, Cobra, the new GT500, GT40 (if you can afford it), Z06, CTS-V, etc....

Really, if you pay attention to Japanese cars you'd see that your comparison is ridiculously unfair. The Japanese super cars are all being clipped thanks to the recent environmental shenanigans that the US doesn't really buy into. You forgot to add the Supra, Spirit-R, NSX, Skyline series, Silvia and the Fairlady. Now, the Viper, Cobra, GT40 (which, to nitpick, is actually just the GT as it is no longer 40") and compare cars in reasonably equal price ranges and we're left with what looks like this:
Japan: STI, Evo, MarkIV, FD, NSK, R34, S15 and the Z33.
America: SRT-8, SRT-4, GTO, Cobalt, Vette and Lightning.

Looks like Japan has more variety and, in my opinion, better looks (Corvette aside). I'd like to see an American car get banned from a foreign race series for being too good. I'd also like to see an American car with 50/50 weight balance that costs less than 50k. Where is the MR car in the American lineup?

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Mefesto said:
have all spent 1st-3rd watching my tail lights getting smaller in the distance. (One, an AWD turbo, lost the race before we were out of 2nd gear

I just absolutely love destroying V8's with owners like you...priceless!

I know one thing.....no M's, RX-7's or Supras on your 5 kill list, not with a stock GTO, Camaro or GT...you gotta raise the stakes with a Cobra or an SS 454 (and if u have one of those it's probably all waxed up locked in a garage)
Speaking of, wander how much those go for now...too much probably.

Ryoukai

Again, you missed the point. The last few people who have tried to talk a big game have all put their noses through guard rails on Tantalus while trying desperately to catch up to my Japanese "economy-mobile". You keep talking about your straight line speed but haven't said anything about how your car would keep up with mine in any kind of turn...strange. I like to ignore things I don't like too, it makes me think that maybe they'll go away and people will forget about them while I talk about something that the people I'm arguing with have already given me...oh wait, that's not me, that's you. :) :p ;) :tongue2_1

The Skyline was banned from Australia's circuit races as it was dominating a bit too hard year after year. :tophat_12

Safety standards are neither here nor there in the discussion, not sure why you mentioned that. You're arguing something that nobody challenged. :confused:

I already mentioned why it is unfair to discuss only cars which can be purchased now as America doesn't feel the need to comply with various pollution standards which is the entire reason that the I-6 is gone. :icon_rage

No, there aren't too many Nissan dealerships putting Skylines on the market, but then, is the Skyline the only car that I mentioned? Everything else on the list is available in the US.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
the ricer argument never seems to change. they always say "well, I can take your car in a turn." Prove it. This was the group who never showed at the autocrosses or the open track days, but were strangely present at just about every friday night at the strip.

The guys who did bring imports to autocrosses were generally NOT the college age douchebags with excess plastic, big wings, and watermelon launcher exhausts who talked too much sh-t, but were more middle age guys who modified things that, you know, mattered. And they could usually hold their own rather well w/o spouting off like some idiot about how their car could 'out turn' yours.

edit:
I especially like the touch of racism in Ryokui's post... "honky"... lovely

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Mefesto said:
And cyclic I'm refering to my kills with my SS...Fastest run with it was an 11.89
So far the Goats only kills are a couple of local ricers in nothing mentionable, I've only had the car 2 weeks. But I can tell you that the it won't take nearly as much work to get this thing in the 12's as it did the SS (um 400 hp stock and a 6.0L V8?). And no they never spent any time waxed and in a garage... we're talking daily driver.

Damn...hey I've been in this motorhead world for a long time and I know one thing, big mouths don't get anywhere and I'm not one of them (I just like to taunt a little :D )...yours WAS an SS, my best ET on the RX-7 on street tires is 12.46...
I conceed...

Ryoukai

Mefesto said:
And Ryouwhatever.. your arguments are nil at this point as soon as you start talking "econo box" becasue all the cars you listed are 30K and up... hell if you can find an R34 in this country for less than 70 grand lemme know!

The 180sx is hardly 30k and up. In fact, the total bill for my car (including shipping) was right around 18k. That figure also includes the various shiny bits that I've got in it as well as changing it from RHD.

Squeeze, do you know anything about me or my choice of automobile? How is making the statement that my car is a dedicated togue runner as opposed to some sort of drag monster a ricer argument? I built my car for what I like to do, which is why I think it's ridiculous for Mefesto to continue trying to argue with nobody about how his car will beat mine in a straight line. Apples and oranges. Just like some of you razzed the pants off that kid who made the, "super hornet or tomcat" thread, it's the same idea here. Each one is built for something different, why try to get into a pissing contest when there's really nothing to compare?

Edit: I like how "honky" isn't acceptable but "Jap" doesn't get any attention. :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Mefesto said:
Fastest run with it was an 11.89 down the 1/4 in Gainesville and that was the ONLY 1/4 run I got at the track that day, because once you break 11.99 you're required under NHRA rules to have a roll cage as soon as you're running sub

Impressive times. What were your mods on the car? Gotta love the LS1 and LS2 powerplants.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The turbo setup would make the GTO worthy. Then it would essentially be a modern GNX. Nice times with the SS. I still think Ive got ya though...both straight and handling. ;)

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Mefesto said:
And if I can find the cash I'm going straight to a turbo setup for the GTO...

GM High Performance magazine is running a series on the new GTO. May issue, they were adding a Vortech supercharger. Of course, no results till next month.

I am partial to the Magnachargers myself. Saw an article were they added one to a 5.3 in a pickup (same engine as my Avalanche) and went from 240 RWHP to 360 RWHP with just the supercharger and some headers (344 RWHP without the headers).

Or, I can win the lottery and swap one of these into my '75.
PV__024267__.jpg

Yes, that is an LS-7. 427 ci, titanium rods, dry sump oil system, 500 HP. Crate motor part # 17802397 due in the fall of 2005.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
A lot of it is tradition and style.

My Corvette is 30 years old and still gets stares and wows the crowd. Will a 1995 Mitsubishi be able to do that in 2025?

ncm_wallpaper-122-800.jpg

Or Mitsubishi's, or Mazda's, or Honda's.

No, they sure don't write songs about my car, a Volvo, but I sure like it (especially the 300hp under the hood ;) ). Better than any American car I have ever driven, more refined. My wife is the gearhead in the family, her dream car is a '69 Camaro RS SS. She actually used to drag race :icon_smil .

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Flash said:
No, they sure don't write songs about my car, a Volvo, but I sure like it (especially the 300hp under the hood ;) ). Better than any American car I have ever driven, more refined. My wife is the gearhead in the family, her dream car is a '69 Camaro RS SS. She actually used to drag race :icon_smil .

Heck Flash, my truck has 300hp (OK, 295 ;) ). My Corvette may not be refined but it isn't meant to be. I enjoy having a car that is simple and direct (and having sidepipes that make ricers hide).

At least your wife has taste. A '69 RS SS would be fun. Especially with a new LS-7 or Ramjet 502 backed with a T56. And a convertible of course.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
lowflier03 said:
I still think Ive got ya though...both straight and handling. ;)

Whoa!!, You mean you got him in the GTO..right?? 'cause if you got him in the SS with an 11.8....dude, I will camp out outside HS-10 to see what you've done to your car!!!
I don't think there is an 11sec car in NASNI..although not long ago I saw a Cobra that holy carp...super mean sound and the s/c whine was a lot louder than usual...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Well i'll give you a hint at 2 of my mods. Propane injection and 20+ psi of boost on a daily basis. Im currently building up a second motor for more power and to make it more bulletproof. Gotta love a daily driver that can do that and still get 26MPG highway and 20+mpg city.

Status
Not open for further replies.