• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board Nov 20

PringleMan

Any breakdown on AD vs civilian? To me that seems to be the real kicker.

Sure!

For AD:
Intel - 32 Applicants, 6 Selectees (18.7%)
IP - 23 Applicants, 8 Selectees (34.7%)
CW - 10 Applicants, 4 Selectees (40%)
OCEANO - 1 Applicant, 1 Selectees (100%)*
SWO-OCEANO - 1 Applicant, 0 Selectees (0%)*

*Because there are so few applicants in general to these two, I would not pay any attention to the AD metrics on these.

Total Unique AD Bodies - 50
Total AD Selectees - 19
38% Selection rate of AD personnel

For CIV:
Intel - 142 Applicants, 20 Selectees (14.1%)
IP - 36 Applicants, 11 Selectees (30.5%)
CW - 45 Applicants, 17 Selectees (37.7%)
OCEANO - 6 Applicants, 2 Selectees (33%)*
SWO-OCEANO - 1 Applicant, 1 Selectee (+1 person shifted in) (200%)*

*Because there are so few applicants in general to these two, I would not pay any attention to the metrics on these.

Total Unique CIV Bodies - 164
Total CIV Selectees - 52
31.7% Selection rate of CIV Personnel

Last edited:

notacoverband

Sure!

For AD,

*Because there are so few applicants in general to these two, I would not pay any attention to the AD metrics on these.

Total AD Selectees - 19
Wow so I'm wrong then. Looks like our numbers are slightly better...

jetphiltx

Since post-Bac isn't the same as a Masters & has nothing to do with pre-grad, is it ok to ask my uni to leave post-Bac transcripts out? I do believe that's part of what did me in b/c I had a 3.72 pre-grad GPA & the post-Bac teaching cert program brought it down b/c of one class I didn't do so well in. When I asked my OR about leaving it out, he said we couldn't, but that's because I assume he already had all of them in hand, sealed, & couldn't be tampered with. I guess what I needed to do when requesting my transcripts from my college was to kindly tell them to leave out the post-Bac work. Maybe that could be the push I need next time if that's even possible?

PringleMan

Since post-Bac isn't the same as a Masters & has nothing to do with pre-grad, is it ok to ask my uni to leave post-Bac transcripts out? I do believe that's part of what did me in b/c I had a 3.72 pre-grad GPA & the post-Bac teaching cert program brought it down b/c of one class I didn't do so well in. When I asked my OR about leaving it out, he said we couldn't, but that's because I assume he already had all of them in hand, sealed, & couldn't be tampered with. I guess what I needed to do when requesting my transcripts from my college was to kindly tell them to leave out the post-Bac work. Maybe that could be the push I need next time if that's even possible?
I dont think the university would leave them out. Transcripts are usually an all-inclusive thing, I have never heard of a school only sending parts of your transcripts.

Let us know if they will even do that though haha.

jetphiltx

I dont think the university would leave them out. Transcripts are usually an all-inclusive thing, I have never heard of a school only sending parts of your transcripts.

Let us know if they will even do that though haha.

Perhaps I need to ask this another way. My post-bac was totally separate from my B.S. & those classes can never be toward any degree as far as I understand. Basically, they prepared me for the K-8 math test that I took & passed np. There was no formal graduation I could attend for completing the courses, nothing. To me it shows that all those classes were meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Maybe this question is better served for my uni to answer b/c they would know what I can or can't do regarding transcript requests. I regret now more than ever thinking I'd ever make it as a teacher. Didn't realize it would hinder my future this much, so trying to get creative for the next board!

NevarYalnal

Perhaps I need to ask this another way. My post-bac was totally separate from my B.S. & those classes can never be toward any degree as far as I understand. Basically, they prepared me for the K-8 math test that I took & passed np. There was no formal graduation I could attend for completing the courses, nothing. To me it shows that all those classes were meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Maybe this question is better served for my uni to answer b/c they would know what I can or can't do regarding transcript requests. I regret now more than ever thinking I'd ever make it as a teacher. Didn't realize it would hinder my future this much, so trying to get creative for the next board!
i mean are you sure GPA was the only thing holding you back? is there anything else you can add to your package to make you more competitive next go around? leadership roles either at work or volunteering, better LORs, OAR retake?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
That's probably because he knows about it and requesting to leave parts of college transcripts out of application is an integrity issue now. I highly doubt that one class brought you down that severely, enough to worry about the difference. The difference between a 3.72 and 3.69 (or whatever it was, I'm guessing) is minimal and probably not the reason for a non-selection.

When they say they want all of your college courses to calculate a cumulative GPA they do mean all of it, so to request some be left out for the purpose of bumping a GPA sounds sketchy, regardless of the courses purpose of going toward a degree or not. I wouldn't categorize what you're trying to do as "creative". You'd be better off putting effort to what you can control like an OAR retake.

exNavyOffRec

I was also just called by my OR. I was selected for IP. OCS date is May 30.
Thanks to everyone in this thread for sticking it out together. To those that didn't get selected, don't give up! In my opinion, the more you apply, the more you show them that you want it!
They don't care how often you apply it is best qualified, statistics that were ran several years ago that encompassed over 10 years worth of boards show in general your best shot at getting accepted is the first time you apply to a designator, and that the more you apply the less of a chance you have of being selected. This doesn't include those that apply for a different designator or those that get another degree, or retake to get better PFAR or FOFAR.

exNavyOffRec

That's probably because he knows about it and requesting to leave parts of college transcripts out of application is an integrity issue now.

It can be bad news for the person getting commissioned as well, around 8 ish years ago a person was commissioned and did not include transcripts of all colleges attended, if had that would have caused a significant difference in how the application was viewed, somehow after commissioning the real story came out, I am guessing it was in security clearance process, this resulted in a further investigation and eventual court martial for fraudulent enlistment/entry.

Now if it is one class you took at some random CC I doubt the issue would raise to the level of what happened to the person mentioned above, but why take a chance.

exNavyOffRec

Wow so I'm wrong then. Looks like our numbers are slightly better...

It has gone back and forth, for many years AD were preferred and had great selection percentage, then if flipped as they realized so many were leaving at 10 years commissioned service, now they have place TIS limits and things have evened out.

exNavyOffRec

Sure!

For AD:

Total AD Selectees - 19

For CIV:
Intel - 142 Applicants, 20 Selectees (14.1%)
IP - 36 Applicants, 11 Selectees (30.5%)
CW - 45 Applicants, 17 Selectees (37.7%)
OCEANO - 6 Applicants, 2 Selectees (33%)*
SWO-OCEANO - 1 Applicant, 1 Selectee (+1 person shifted in) (200%)*

*Because there are so few applicants in general to these two, I would not pay any attention to the metrics on these.

Total Unique CIV Bodies - 164
Total CIV Selectees - 52
31.7% Selection rate of CIV Personnel
Some historical things you tend to see with IWC, Intel is often more non-tech, others tend to be more tech, AD for IP and CW in an enlisted IWC field that have a non tech degree seem to have better shot than a Civ going for IP and CW with a non tech degree.

You will also tend to see lower numbers applying for IP/CW/Oceano due to the fact they have a high selection rate of tech so many non tech guys don't apply.

PringleMan

Some historical things you tend to see with IWC, Intel is often more non-tech, others tend to be more tech, AD for IP and CW in an enlisted IWC field that have a non tech degree seem to have better shot than a Civ going for IP and CW with a non tech degree.

You will also tend to see lower numbers applying for IP/CW/Oceano due to the fact they have a high selection rate of tech so many non tech guys don't apply.
It was definitely enlightening to me, I think next time I apply I am going to go 1830 and 1820. I also work at DIA so I am going to pump our SSO about the waiver I would need for 1810 and see if I can re-apply for that designator. I just did not have enough turn around time this last time I applied to the board to pursue that avenue.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Does that include interservice transfers or only AD Navy?