• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hello to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricechex

Patmack,
I also congratulate (sp?) you on your selection. I am sure you worked extremely hard to get what you wanted. Hope to fly with you someday.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Pat,
Now you can go back to regiment and let them know who the man is! Especially the Roq! Congrats!

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Patmack18 said:
Dave...

I got it baby! Jets Meridian! I'm freakin' stoked but I don't detach until Aug thats the crappy part.

Pat
Pat,

Congrats. Your hard work has paid off and now welcome to the world of JETS...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
RumorBuster said:
....Just Go Jets....
Unless you want to come over to the dark side and fly the "Mighty ORION" that is... :icon_smil

Thanks for taking the time to clear up a lot of questions for those aspiring for jets.

John

lotsoquestions

I have a quick question. On a Sea tour, how much actual time do you spend on the boat. I know you have a 6-month cruise, but other than that, how much time are you away from home? And if you're P-3 or some other land-based platform, do you have Sea Tours at all? Thanks

airwinger

pilot
Rumorbuster,
Sir just a couple of quick questions to keep the flow going:
1. With the lack of June and July boats at Meridian, does that mean that winging dates will get bumped back two months for everyone or just those close to CQ?
2. I've heard that Kingsville guys fly better form than Meridianites. Is this true? if so what do you think the cause is?
3.What kind of timing is acceptable in a fleet squadron as far as TOT is concerned?
Thanks for your help sir.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
SpeedyJ said:
RumorBuster,
What is life as a jet aviator like for a married man. My wife and I have been married nearly six years and are starting a family. I hear rumors that as a jet student and aviator time with the family will be close to nil. My family is very important to me, but so is flying a great airframe. Is there any truth to the rumors? I am willing to put in the time and effort to fly jets but I don't want to sacrifice my marriage. Any advice would be helpful.

Flight school isn't a big deal, be it jets, props, or helo's. Even the FRS isn't bad. Its when you reach the fleet when things are going to get busy, especially for a tactical guy. Work-ups, dets, cruise are all taxing on the family. It can be done, there are plenty of aviators with family's but you will miss out on quite a bit. Hell, I'm a COD pilot and have it the easiest of all carrier aviators and have missed out on quite a bit of my daughters life. Such is naval aviation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
lotsoquestions said:
I have a quick question. On a Sea tour, how much actual time do you spend on the boat. I know you have a 6-month cruise, but other than that, how much time are you away from home? And if you're P-3 or some other land-based platform, do you have Sea Tours at all? Thanks

To answer the P-3 question, I am not sure Rumorbuster wants to touch that one, you do spend time at sea. For your third tour, your second 'sea' tour, you will do what is called a diassociated sea tour. This is usually not a flying tour for P-3 types. Among the jobs you can get are the Assistant Navigator of a carrier, a catapult officer or "shooter", a Tactiacl Action Officer controlling the defense of the ship or on a seagoing staff. Basically, you kind of play SWO for 2 years. These billets used to be filled up to 60% by VP guys with E-2 and helo taking up most of the rest. Jet guys have started to fill up a lot of those billets in the last few years. A few VP guys do luck out and flying orders for their disassociated sea tour but you will find out about that when and if you go P-3's.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just to supplement what Flash said (and I don't mean to threadjack away from the jets discussion), P3s are going from an 18 month cycle (6 months deployed, 12 months home) to a 24 month cycle (6 months deployed, 18 month home cycle), so you might only see 1 deployment if your timing is off, which can hurt you in your progression and flight hours. If you are the first plane out, and last back, you can be deployed up to 7 months, but it is rare to see anything other than that. If you have any other P3 questions, drop them over in Advanced Prop, and we will answer them there. <end threadjack>

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bunky!! It isn't so, the grass isn't greener!!

bunk22 said:
especially for a tactical guy. Work-ups, dets, cruise are all taxing on the family. It can be done, there are plenty of aviators with family's but you will miss out on quite a bit.
Especially for a tactical guy? Homecycle for non-tactical (helos/P3s) can be just as brutal with DETs, IDRC, briefs, tactics, recce and training requirements. Personally I HATE homecycle and all the BS that comes with it, the squadron should be the same relaxed and motivated atmostphere as it is on deployment, but alas the dreaded Training and OPS gets together to ruin everything....

With regards to deployment, I will keep my trap shut, I know I have it good, but then again, you COD guys even put US to shame....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
webmaster said:
Especially for a tactical guy? Homecycle for non-tactical (helos/P3s) can be just as brutal with DETs, IDRC, briefs, tactics, recce and training requirements. Personally I HATE homecycle and all the BS that comes with it, the squadron should be the same relaxed and motivated atmostphere as it is on deployment, but alas the dreaded Training and OPS gets together to ruin everything....

With regards to deployment, I will keep my trap shut, I know I have it good, but then again, you COD guys even put US to shame....

Sorry man but I don't know much about non-carrier aviation. When I spoke, the carrier community is whom I was refering to. Although COD pilots have it good, I spent over 9 of the 12 months of deployment on the ship. I know ship life well. Of course it's still not so bad for us GOD....I mean COD guys.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bunk, I hear ya, just wanted to give you some **** is all... and my sea counter doesn't need anymore time on it... "Sliders, again? sigh Chop, what the hell do you mean we are out of toilet paper?!?"

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
webmaster said:
bunk, I hear ya, just wanted to give you some **** is all... and my sea counter doesn't need anymore time on it... "Sliders, again? sigh Chop, what the hell do you mean we are out of toilet paper?!?"

We definitely wouldn't be Naval aviators if we didn't bust each others balls

Rumorbuster, this may have been touched on a little bit earlier but, when exactly do they start giving out jet slots for FY05? I would assume that it would be the first week in October, but I have heard (we all know what this usually means) that they can start giving them out earlier sometimes. Just wondering if the poor guys and gals like me who are gonna select in September have any hope of selecting strike, especially the way things seem to be heading now with next to zero slots available here and its only May. I know we shouldn't be worrying about this stuff now but its tough to keep up the motivation when we're pretty much told that were screwed right of the bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.