• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hello to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Hmm,

How do I reply as to not inhibit all types of questions. I am higher than an IP. Bottom line is that I want to make myself available to dispell all myths, rumors, and bad gouge for all interested in flying Navy/Marine Jets. Best answer is I'm an older aviator (with a lot of accurate info) who enjoys teaching young SNA's.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So why are all the Kingsville guys better than the Meridian guys? Do Waypoints really screw the students up that badly when they can't use them?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fair enough... I mean at the boat. It seems that with a moving target, the reliance on waypoints really screwed up the approach turn causing high starts and ending with wave offs. K-rock guys were looking more at the checkpoints/altitudes outside of the aircraft.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Now I have something to work with. Reviewing Mar results Kvile had a slightly higher boarding rate. But looking back the past year it has been a tradeoff. Pretty even in the long haul. Don't want to bore you with stats. Waypoints may be a factor, but it hard for me to say.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RumorBuster said:
Hmm,

How do I reply as to not inhibit all types of questions. I am higher than an IP. Bottom line is that I want to make myself available to dispell all myths, rumors, and bad gouge for all interested in flying Navy/Marine Jets. Best answer is I'm an older aviator (with a lot of accurate info) who enjoys teaching young SNA's.

OK, all types of questions... here's what I've got. I'll be done with college by July and report to OCS in October. I'm BDCP SNA. I don't know which platform I would pick if I had to fill out my selection card right now. However, I *do* know that I would like to be able to choose whatever platform I think I would best fit. So basically I want to be able to select jets if that's what I decide I want. Who wouldn't want options, right?

So... what can/should I do between now and OCS to make myself better? I have a PPL. Should I fly all I can? Specific things to work on? Should I go for an instrument ticket? Get aerobatic time? T-34 time? Just hang out and enjoy my last few months of freedom?

What about after OCS? When the DI's are done with me and I have earned my commission (tangent: I know I'll have to actually EARN it, I expect OCS to be the hardest thing I've ever done) what should I do to make myself the best SNA I can be?

Also, I know there are pros and cons to every airframe. Aside from getting IP input, how does a guy decide what to shoot for? The airline types would likely already know that they want to go P-3's or something similar. Then there's the guys who want helos so they can hover. Of course, there are also the many who have known they would fly for the Blue Angels since the day they turned 5 years old... Then there's guys like me . I look forward to flying whatever the Navy gives me, but I would like as much input on that decision as possible. What are some things to think about when considering jets? Is even possible to really know before I get into primary and see what military flying is really like?

You sound like a great person to have on the forum. Thanks for making yourself available.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Hello sir. I figure even though this question has been asked on the forum many times, maybe you have the truth. I was pro rec'd for an SNA billet (as many have been on this site) and am interested in what exactly goes on during the final selection process. Not sure if you can offer your knowledge or not but I figured it would not hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
E6286 said:
Hello sir. I figure even though this question has been asked on the forum many times, maybe you have the truth. I was pro rec'd for an SNA billet (as many have been on this site) and am interested in what exactly goes on during the final selection process. Not sure if you can offer your knowledge or not but I figured it would not hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.
Let me answer this one first.
There are slight diff between USMC and Navy but there is mainly 7 factors that come into play:
1. Grades (#1 get his choice, the best of all worlds)
2. Needs of the service. I.E. What is avail. for Marines its Prowlers and Hornets until May. Then there will be Harrier slots to fill. For Navy Tomcats are gone. Vikings are few and far between. That leaves Supers (darn) Baby Hornets (crap) Prowlers (don't leave home without them).
3. Boat performance, Prowlers are tough to bring aboard.
4. ACM performance, a low performer might not go fighters.
5. Quality spread, You can't put all high rollers in one community.
6. Preference, What you want (the best way to ensure you get what you want is to be #1 in selections)
There is a seventh factor for Marines and that is the Harrier composite score cut-off of 178. Nobody below that can be a Harrier pilot.
Finally the seveth factor for the Navy is, and this is hard to put your finger on in some cases "what your Squadron CO recommends" for the Navy. I hope I have answered your question well.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
ben said:
OK, all types of questions... here's what I've got. I'll be done with college by July and report to OCS in October. I'm BDCP SNA. I don't know which platform I would pick if I had to fill out my selection card right now. However, I *do* know that I would like to be able to choose whatever platform I think I would best fit. So basically I want to be able to select jets if that's what I decide I want. Who wouldn't want options, right?

So... what can/should I do between now and OCS to make myself better? I have a PPL. Should I fly all I can? Specific things to work on? Should I go for an instrument ticket? Get aerobatic time? T-34 time? Just hang out and enjoy my last few months of freedom?

What about after OCS? When the DI's are done with me and I have earned my commission (tangent: I know I'll have to actually EARN it, I expect OCS to be the hardest thing I've ever done) what should I do to make myself the best SNA I can be?

Also, I know there are pros and cons to every airframe. Aside from getting IP input, how does a guy decide what to shoot for? The airline types would likely already know that they want to go P-3's or something similar. Then there's the guys who want helos so they can hover. Of course, there are also the many who have known they would fly for the Blue Angels since the day they turned 5 years old... Then there's guys like me . I look forward to flying whatever the Navy gives me, but I would like as much input on that decision as possible. What are some things to think about when considering jets? Is even possible to really know before I get into primary and see what military flying is really like?

You sound like a great person to have on the forum. Thanks for making yourself available.
Ok, A lot of good questions here. First, PPL is good and I recommend you stay current. It will really help in primary Fams. Don't spend more money than that and enjoy your last few months of civilian life. You will soon join a whole new world of defending freedom. After that take one step at a time and do the best at each task at hand. That will ensure your access to the next step. And finally, go into training with your eyes wide open. Talk to all aviators with which you come in contact with. They all have great reasons to fly their acft. (here comes my JET plug) There is only a jet cut-off. All aircraft are important as we fight as a team and god help anybody who goes alone. As you progress in training you will learn more and more. When the time comes you will make the desicion which is right for you (your preferences will change as you go through training). Good luck and I hope to see "Wings of Gold" on you someday.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I apologize, sir. I wasn't referring to aircraft once you get in. I was wondering if maybe you knew what goes on during the final selection process of getting into Naval OCS. I have been professionally recommended as an SNA and was wondering what goes on at this point. My fault.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RumorBuster- what platform(s) have you flown? You obviously know quite a bit. Also, how did you find out about the forum?

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
If there are 4 of us who are putting Prowlers down for our first choice (1.5 hour from Seattle and Vancouver... mountains and water that isn't brown) in May, is there anything that can be done to spread them out a bit so there can be more than one happy person? IE putting the word up the chain that rather than making an april wingee unhappy by sticking him in a slot he doesn't want, there's 4 people that would love his slot in May?

Also, our LSO's say that Kingsville guys get a lot more helpful chatter on the ball from the their LSOs. I guess I'll find out next week.

Gracias

Status
Not open for further replies.