• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hello to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Vic said:
RumorBuster,
What do you have to say about SNA coming from the T-6. Are they better, worse or does it matter? I select in two weeks and I feel I have a disadvantage because of the way they grade here at Moody. All I can say is that I can't wait to go back to the Navy, no matter what I fly.
I haven't seen that many T-6 SNA's to give you a good answer. I will have to keep my ear to the ground. Welcome back to the Navy/Marines and Good Luck on selection...

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Patmack18 said:
Vic,
You're selecting on the 22nd? So am I. How are your grades doing? I've accelerated through just about all of RI's and done pretty good (don't have anyone to compare to) as far as the rest of the program.

Rumor,
To second what EOD said, I'm one of "those" that he's been talking to. I've busted my arse to try and be #1, and it's down to the needs of the Navy now, but we seriously have had several guys with 60's NSS's go Helo's and that WASN'T their first or second choice. Any light to be shed on whats going on with the jet pipeline? My squadron has seen TWO jet slots since November of '03. I've heard 353473452354 different rumors, wondering what the facts are. Thanks a BUNCH! You've contributed a LOT to this forum for the guys in the pipelines.

Pat
Patmack,

See my answer to EOD. You are correct on the trickle of Navy going jets. Has alot to do with the closing of Tomcats and slow-down of Vikings, that there is a temporary overage of Navy SNA's. As you go through your Navy career you will see time and again that timeing is critical when it comes to oppurtunity(sp). Good Luck and hope to see you both in Meridian.

zilber

pilot
RumorBuster, I have heard from some LT's that the best time to select is in the beginning of a fiscal year, because money becomes available, and slots are evenly spread out. Is that true? Thank you.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Pat,
I'm doing pretty well. Right now I hate the AF so much that I don't really care what I get, as long as I get Navy (E-6's will likely not be on my selection card). Good luck on selection Pat you've busted your arse more than anyone I know, congrats!

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
zilber said:
RumorBuster, I have heard from some LT's that the best time to select is in the beginning of a fiscal year, because money becomes available, and slots are evenly spread out. Is that true? Thank you.
Zilbert,

"Class Flow and NAPP" should not let that happen, but so many things are affected by end of fiscal year. Under-production by the training squadrons is determined at end of fiscal year. Any leftover, high priorty slots are filled. So it is a factor in some aspects. Also you get a fresh batch of slots and higher headquarters is not that concerned with assignment inbalances in the begining, as they are at the end. Good Luck with selection.

Rainman

pilot
2. Needs of the service. I.E. What is avail. for Marines its Prowlers and Hornets until May. Then there will be [Harrier slots to fill. For Navy Tomcats are gone. Vikings are few and far between. That leaves Supers (darn) Baby Hornets (crap) Prowlers (don't leave home without them).

RumorBuster, welcome to the forum. It sounds like all Marine jet selectees prior to May will go hornets (or Prowlers if they fit and can trap ;) ). . .hmmmmmm. But the #1 Marine will get his RAG & LOCATION choice [if available]? How does one compare an Advanced Marine with a TS Marine . . So many rumors. . . .. :icon_smil

dingo155

VFA-87 Paddles
RumorBuster... another question regarding the slowing down of the pipelines...

Will the drop in Jet selections result in a slowing down of training in Meridian?? I have heard rumors that there will be a delay in wingings for strike students, and that there is a possibility of studs sitting around unwinged after completion of CQ and ACM. Please tell me that there is no foundation for these rumors.

Also, when will the Hoover go the way of the Tomcat for selection options??

Thanks for all the great insight, and no BS answers

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Rainman said:
2. Needs of the service. I.E. What is avail. for Marines its Prowlers and Hornets until May. Then there will be [Harrier slots to fill. For Navy Tomcats are gone. Vikings are few and far between. That leaves Supers (darn) Baby Hornets (crap) Prowlers (don't leave home without them).

RumorBuster, welcome to the forum. It sounds like all Marine jet selectees prior to May will go hornets (or Prowlers if they fit and can trap ;) ). . .hmmmmmm. But the #1 Marine will get his RAG & LOCATION choice [if available]? How does one compare an Advanced Marine with a TS Marine . . So many rumors. . . .. :icon_smil
Rainman,

It is not restricted to Marines, across the board TS is a little weaker starter due to the loss of the T-2 experience in a lower performance acft. More flight time is always better. At the end of this year we will close out Inter-Advance and all TS will be the reality. Squadron averages are lower for TS than advance (in Meridain, K-ville is all TS), but as the strike instructors recalibrate to the TS syllabus and the Phaseing out of the T-34 to the Texan (which means smaller leap to the T-45 for the SNA's). I anticipate an increase in NSS/composite scores.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
dingo155 said:
RumorBuster... another question regarding the slowing down of the pipelines...

Will the drop in Jet selections result in a slowing down of training in Meridian?? I have heard rumors that there will be a delay in wingings for strike students, and that there is a possibility of studs sitting around unwinged after completion of CQ and ACM. Please tell me that there is no foundation for these rumors.

Also, when will the Hoover go the way of the Tomcat for selection options??

Thanks for all the great insight, and no BS answers
Dingo,
Right now there is no plan to slow down training. Classes might get a little smaller but time to train must be adhered to, for time is money. Winging dates have been established all the way until Oct. Navy selections have been slowed a little but once you get a jet slot and start training we have approx 56 weeks to put wings on your chest..

Not sure on the Hoover question but I will keep my ear to the ground...best I can do for now.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Ok,
One of the big questions for us up and comers is whether or not to get a PPL. I personally got my PPL and am working towards my IFR, not becuase I hope it will help me out, but because I love flying. So I guess my question is, how do you think have licenses effects performance in Primary?

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
NeoCortex said:
Ok,
One of the big questions for us up and comers is whether or not to get a PPL. I personally got my PPL and am working towards my IFR, not becuase I hope it will help me out, but because I love flying. So I guess my question is, how do you think have licenses effects performance in Primary?
Neo,

I don't have any hard stats to back up my answer, however it is my belief that a PPL is very useful in Primary FAM stage. After that everything equals out. I had my PPL before I attemped Naval flight Training to see:
1. What is it like to fly?
2. Did I get airsick?
3. Did I like it and was it fun?

As far as the IFR ...Go For It .. It will be a good intro to instrument flying and it can't hurt in Instrument training. Besides "You Love to Fly". What a great job, "Defending your country and doing something you love for the rest of your life".

GVSURob

RumorBuster:

Do Marine aviators (other than those who fly harriers) train for taking off of/landing on carriers? If so, how often does a typical mission involve landing/taking off of carriers?

Robert Mathey
Grand Rapids, MI

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
GVSURob said:
RumorBuster:

Do Marine aviators (other than those who fly harriers) train for taking off of/landing on carriers? If so, how often does a typical mission involve landing/taking off of carriers?

Robert Mathey
Grand Rapids, MI
GVSU,

All Marine Jet Aviators have qualified aboard ship in the training command. If assigned to a boat squadron in the fleet, they will operate from carriers. Some squadrons do it more than others. However, all Strike Marine Aviators are carrier capable. Even the Harrier guys must master shipboard operations. They just do it a little different....

As far as how often will they land and take off from carriers? If assigned to a boat squadron and that squadron is in a work-up or deployment phase they will operate almost daily. Just Go Jets...

Status
Not open for further replies.