• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

dav246

Is there a spatial portion simulator anywhere?
You mean the UAV? If so, there is a simulator on the ASTB prep app. 20 bucks, but well worth it. It has the sim and also other test prep things that should serve you well. The whole app gets a very strong reccomendation from me.

logamflyguy

What did you guys set your joystick settings to on the x52 controls. I am using 6000 and 32000 on the throttle and that feels right but the joystick feels more sensitive than the test.

iwrru

Thank you both to the original programmer of this simulator and to the dude who wrote the improved version.

Can I suggest to @Petersonjr : Once the player clicks START, could you consider adding something like a "3-2-1-GO" before the distance counters in the top-left actually start counting distances? This will normalize your target acquisition: sometimes you have to acquire the target literally from the edge of the screen, other times the game will start with the target right under your crosshairs dead center. This difference alone can cut your score in half even though you tracked the target equally well both times. (If the PBM doesn't even do this, it would still be extremely useful for us to track our own score improvements.)

Thank you in advance!

dav246

Thank you both to the original programmer of this simulator and to the dude who wrote the improved version.

Can I suggest to @Petersonjr : Once the player clicks START, could you consider adding something like a "3-2-1-GO" before the distance counters in the top-left actually start counting distances? This will normalize your target acquisition: sometimes you have to acquire the target literally from the edge of the screen, other times the game will start with the target right under your crosshairs dead center. This difference alone can cut your score in half even though you tracked the target equally well both times. (If the PBM doesn't even do this, it would still be extremely useful for us to track our own score improvements.)

Thank you in advance!
I have taken the ASTB twice thus far, and I don't think that should be an issue. I think the targets start right in your crosshairs.

Thank you in advance!
Hmm that might be a good suggestion. However, in the actual ASTB test it just jumps you right into it; I believe dav246 is correct that the targets start in the crosshairs on the test. If we added something like, that it would be a toggle option in the settings because I think a lot of people (me included) would find it more valuable to train as much like the actual test as possible.

By the way, I've heard that the ASTB test has just recently been updated. I have no idea if that includes changes to the PBM section or not. Maybe somebody who has taken the test within the last couple weeks can chime in and advise.

dav246

Hmm that might be a good suggestion. However, in the actual ASTB test it just jumps you right into it; I believe dav246 is correct that the targets start in the crosshairs on the test. If we added something like, that it would be a toggle option in the settings because I think a lot of people (me included) would find it more valuable to train as much like the actual test as possible.

By the way, I've heard that the ASTB test has just recently been updated. I have no idea if that includes changes to the PBM section or not. Maybe somebody who has taken the test within the last couple weeks can chime in and advise.
The only change is the addition of a new subtest. Which TwoScoops has already added to his prep app.

iwrru

Thanks for explaining it ?

I have another suggestion/observation - I may be mistaken but I believe I have observed a few times now that unneeded button-presses do *not* count against you: like for example, it was in "right" mode so I am only supposed to click the button for the right ear if I hear an odd number. However during "right" mode, I heard even numbers and pressed the button for the left year, on two different consecutive occasions. Yet I got a perfect score. (I knew I pressed the left-side button when I wasn't supposed to be answering for the left side because, after those two presses, the voice came on and said "left," meaning until that point it was in "right" mode.) Yet I got 12/12.

I should have gotten 10 out of 12 because I pressed it twice when I shouldn't have. It's true, I didn't MISS a button-press that I SHOULD have pressed. But I still did something that should count against me. Didn't I?

Is that how the real PBM portion of the ASTB works?