• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

SteelSea

Just took my 2nd attempt today. Three things that helped me tremendously:

- The simulator (remade) using a X52 set up (hard settings no audio or emergency training)
- ASTB Prep app (iPhone)
- ASTB Prep book (https://www.amazon.com/ASTB-Test-Pr...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1)

They all cost money but it's about a $280 total investment. If you really want to fly in the Navy it is about a 8-10 year commitment so $280 in the long run is not that bad if you want it bad enough. My first attempt I went into the test blind not knowing what to expect and it was also before I saw this forum. The differences in my scores show how much of an impact these three things were for me.

First Attempt: 59 7/6/6
Second Attempt: 66 8/8/8

I wish everyone else who takes the ASTB good luck and one last thing I want to leave y'all with:
If you want it bad enough it's up to you to put in the work

MotorCookie

Just took my 2nd attempt today. Three things that helped me tremendously:

- The simulator (remade) using a X52 set up (hard settings no audio or emergency training)
- ASTB Prep app (iPhone)
- ASTB Prep book (https://www.amazon.com/ASTB-Test-Prep-Practice-ASTB/dp/1637756089/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3MXCCWPF7MVZB&keywords=astb+study+guide&qid=1687815868&sprefix=astb+study+guide,aps,124&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1)

They all cost money but it's about a $280 total investment. If you really want to fly in the Navy it is about a 8-10 year commitment so $280 in the long run is not that bad if you want it bad enough. My first attempt I went into the test blind not knowing what to expect and it was also before I saw this forum. The differences in my scores show how much of an impact these three things were for me.

First Attempt: 59 7/6/6
Second Attempt: 66 8/8/8

I wish everyone else who takes the ASTB good luck and one last thing I want to leave y'all with:
If you want it bad enough it's up to you to put in the work
Awesome score! Do you know what your average score was when using the ASTB simulator with the x52? And how well do you think you did on the UAV portion?

Krob67

For anyone else having a hard time, this YouTube video explains how to make a joystick work as your mouse and has the AntiMicro link in the description. Attached is a saved configuration file for AntiMicro that seems to be as close as my memory of the ASTB can get me. This was setup with an X52 HOTAS.

Thank you for posting this video! I have not been able to get the configuration file posted here to work, has anyone else had this problem?

SteelSea

Awesome score! Do you know what your average score was when using the ASTB simulator with the x52? And how well do you think you did on the UAV portion?
On hard difficulty with no audio or emergency training I got down to 140 average on both throttle and joystick. The audio training and emergency training is not exactly like the test. I didn’t train with it cause I didn’t want it to create wrong habits. I promise you if you get the hand eye coordination down of just the throttle and the joystick you’ll do fine. For the UAV portion I got 2 wrong and my average was around 1.5 seconds.

flyORdie

What does everyone focus on when doing the simulator? I usually look in between the two targets and try to use my peripheral vision to track each one.

SteelSea

What does everyone focus on when doing the simulator? I usually look in between the two targets and try to use my peripheral vision to track each one.
So I watched the stick target and focused on it mainly. I would use my peripherals to watch the throttle but every second or two I’d glance over real quick at the throttle. The same thing with the emergency portion when you half to turn the dials. Glance down after turning them an appropriate direction and see if they’re in the right spots. If so hit that clutch and keep going

MotorCookie

@Petersonjr

So just got back from taking the ASTB and for the I and E knobs, full power means rotating counter clockwise. But everything else is accurate on your brother’s sim.

pcola478

Hey man, I just recently downloaded the joystick mapper for my Mac as well. I am having a lot of problems with the deadzones for the X52. What did you do to fix the problem? Thanks in advance
Hey there, I'm trying to configure the same setup. Have the binds all plugged into Joystick mapper but when I open Jantzen's sim it only responds to my keyboard inputs, not the joystick. Any advice for me? I did select "minecraft windowed fix" and that didn't change anything. Thanks in advance!

Knaue02

I have a Mac and the x52 does not like to cooperate. I downloaded an app called enjoyable for a few dollars and thats been the best bet to this point. However, it wont let me go below a certain point on the sim and the joystick seems to get lost and quit working but any practice is better than no practice.

pcola478

I have a Mac and the x52 does not like to cooperate. I downloaded an app called enjoyable for a few dollars and thats been the best bet to this point. However, it wont let me go below a certain point on the sim and the joystick seems to get lost and quit working but any practice is better than no practice.
Dang. I ended up buying a cheap Lenovo laptop specifically for this setup. It works. I took the ASTB today and the joystick/throttle were basically the exact same thing that we purchased, though!

jetski77

Those who took the test, does anybody remember by any chance for the audio portion which ear was the odd and even numbers ? Was it left ear odd/ right ear even numbers ? I took my first attempt about a month ago and forgot what it was. Does the the simulator remade have it right ?

flyORdie

Those who took the test, does anybody remember by any chance for the audio portion which ear was the odd and even numbers ? Was it left ear odd/ right ear even numbers ? I took my first attempt about a month ago and forgot what it was. Does the the simulator remade have it right ?
You are listening for both even and odd numbers in each ear. So for example, if target ear is left and you hear 8 hit the trigger and then next you hear 7 hit the clutch. I wouldn’t practice the dichotic listening on the simulator too much because it can build bad habits. When I took the test I had to repeatedly tell myself that right is even and left is odd because I practiced with the opposite controls. Maybe just play the sim with the dichotic listening on and call out the number you hear in your target ear, but don’t actually press the buttons.