• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

dav246

Hmm that might be a good suggestion. However, in the actual ASTB test it just jumps you right into it; I believe dav246 is correct that the targets start in the crosshairs on the test. If we added something like, that it would be a toggle option in the settings because I think a lot of people (me included) would find it more valuable to train as much like the actual test as possible.

By the way, I've heard that the ASTB test has just recently been updated. I have no idea if that includes changes to the PBM section or not. Maybe somebody who has taken the test within the last couple weeks can chime in and advise.
If you refresh Jantzens between every run, it will start with your crosshairs on the target. I've just been refreshing and resetting the options between every run.

toshwill

Hi everyone I edited the code of the updated jantzen sim by @Petersonjr so that the twisting of the knobs in the emergency section is in the same direction as in the test.

https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

So it should be that clockwise = LOWER and counter-clockwise = HIGHER

I'm not good at programming so let me know if it works for you or not.
Hey,
When I try to open the link(this one and the first updated version by Petersonjr) the page is blank. Is this a problem with my computer/browser or is it a dead link? The OG version by jantzen is the only one that works for me, but I can't use it with the X52..

MotorCookie

Hey,
When I try to open the link(this one and the first updated version by Petersonjr) the page is blank. Is this a problem with my computer/browser or is it a dead link? The OG version by jantzen is the only one that works for me, but I can't use it with the X52..
That's weird, it seems to be working for me. What kind of browser are you using? Is it completely blank or does it say "Loading" in the top left corner?

The original Jantzen sim should work with the X52 as long as you have something like AntiMicroX installed on your computer

McNally

Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!
Awesome simulator! Is there any way to try this with my own joystick and throttle?

iwrru

Thanks for explaining it ?

I have another suggestion/observation - I may be mistaken but I believe I have observed a few times now that unneeded button-presses do *not* count against you: like for example, it was in "right" mode so I am only supposed to click the button for the right ear if I hear an odd number. However during "right" mode, I heard even numbers and pressed the button for the left year, on two different consecutive occasions. Yet I got a perfect score. (I knew I pressed the left-side button when I wasn't supposed to be answering for the left side because, after those two presses, the voice came on and said "left," meaning until that point it was in "right" mode.) Yet I got 12/12.

I should have gotten 10 out of 12 because I pressed it twice when I shouldn't have. It's true, I didn't MISS a button-press that I SHOULD have pressed. But I still did something that should count against me. Didn't I?

Is that how the real PBM portion of the ASTB works?
Sorry to bump my own relatively recent post but does anyone have the answer to this?

does the real PBM count unneeded button-presses on the aural portion against you? or does it only care that you click the correct button when needed? Seems like you could just mash both buttons whenever you hear any sound and get "a perfect score" every time.

MotorCookie

Sorry to bump my own relatively recent post but does anyone have the answer to this?

does the real PBM count unneeded button-presses on the aural portion against you? or does it only care that you click the correct button when needed? Seems like you could just mash both buttons whenever you hear any sound and get "a perfect score" every time.
On the real test, it will count against you and will be marked wrong.

iwrru

Thank you! Just got Joy2Key installed and I got it setup to be identical to the simulator I took on my first ASTB.
Awesome! what settings do you use? both on the game (target speed, throttle speed) and the sensitivities of the inputs you used for Joy2Key?

McNally

Awesome! what settings do you use? both on the game (target speed, throttle speed) and the sensitivities of the inputs you used for Joy2Key?
In game I have the target and throttle speed set to the highest difficulty. For the Joy2Key joystick settings, I have the sensitivities set to 50. I'm also using the Logitech G X52, which is the same one I used during the test.

dav246

What is a good score for the stick portion of the sim on the highest difficulty?
Just stick without vertical tracking? You should be able to get around the 100 mark easy.

If you are doing both, I was scoring sub 120 reliably, sometimes breaking 110 and once in a blue moon sub 100 on both.

Reactions: DBM

DBM

Just stick without vertical tracking? You should be able to get around the 100 mark easy.

If you are doing both, I was scoring sub 120 reliably, sometimes breaking 110 and once in a blue moon sub 100 on both.
Thank you. I'm currently trying to see how much I need to improve. I'm currently under 120-115 for the stick only, so hopefully I can get it lower

iwrru

Thank you. I'm currently trying to see how much I need to improve. I'm currently under 120-115 for the stick only, so hopefully I can get it lower
What monitor resolution/size do you use? Are you at 100% zoom on your browser?