• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

Jantzen_Wells

Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I probably don't need to be fucking with this right now but I'm desperately trying to put off this grad paper and I wanna see what this ASTB throttle and stick business is all about :)

AllYourBass

pilot

I'm drunk as fuck but this is what I managed

I'm gonna try a few more times so I don't have to acknowledge my pressing deadline

AllYourBass

pilot

More Bulleit Rye required

Question: Does the ASTB version use blue crosshairs on black background? That's pretty savage. If they were hot pink I could probably score <20s. Curious what the actual test is like now (I took the ASTB in 2013 and this test wasn't a thing).

NevarYalnal

is the x-axis inverted on the tests? in flight sim games i've played it's only the y-axis that has been inverted for me . this is great though!

Jantzen_Wells

More Bulleit Rye required

Question: Does the ASTB version use blue crosshairs on black background? That's pretty savage. If they were hot pink I could probably score <20s. Curious what the actual test is like now (I took the ASTB in 2013 and this test wasn't a thing).

They do not, that was specifically a style choice.

fullsend

I'm taking the test next week and just made an account specifically so I can thank you for this. I've been playing Elite Dangerous to get my stick + throttle skills up to par but was worried about the listening part.

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to make it so it would say both ears at the same time?

Thanks again!

Jantzen_Wells

I'm taking the test next week and just made an account specifically so I can thank you for this. I've been playing Elite Dangerous to get my stick + throttle skills up to par but was worried about the listening part.

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to make it so it would say both ears at the same time?

Thanks again!

You're welcome! I don't think it would be too difficult, but at this point a random number in a random ear will play every 5 ish seconds, so I would just need it to select two numbers to say, then play them on top of each other. I'll keep that suggestion in mind.

fullsend

I figured it'd be something along those lines.

I only mention it because some of the guides I've seen have mentioned it doing that. Someone who's taken it would probably have been input though.

Jantzen_Wells

I figured it'd be something along those lines.

I only mention it because some of the guides I've seen have mentioned it doing that. Someone who's taken it would probably have been input though.

Yeah they're not far off. I took it over a year ago so I may not remember perfect but as long as you can get used to acting on one ear or both, you'll be fine. I think the practice you'll get in my program is limited, but will absolutely help you get used to it.

Hokie2021

Dude this thing is freakin' AWESOME!! How long was this portion of the test? I am trying to practice with as realistic conditions as possible. Anyways, hell of a job!