• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

Got word from my recruiter that he submitted my package yesterday. He didn't say anything about any board delays or closures, and he's been really on top of everything so hopefully that's a good sign.
Are you tryna go NFO or SNA? Also what location is your recruiter’s office?

Oski510

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site.

I’m shooting for SNA/NFO. My ASTB-E test date is Nov. 19. I just got off the phone with my OR a couple hours ago and we decided on that date which gives me a couple more weeks to study. Anyway he said I should be good (if my test goes well) for the January board. Apparently the deadline to submit your package for this board is December 11? He also told me if my test doesn’t go well I’ll have to wait til the April board. I believe he also said there was another in June? Since I’m going with SNA/NFO those dates might differ to SNA-only applicants? I’ll call him again tomorrow to clarify those dates but he did not mention anything was closed.

I was actually about to make the mistake of going into the Navy enlisted just because I messed up and approached an enlisted recruiter for officer information and he completely lied to me and told me I didn’t qualify because my gpa was too low (3.0). I believed him and wasted a good 3 months going through that process. It wasn’t a complete waste since I did go to MEPS and got medically cleared. Anyway, I scored an 89 on the ASVAB and did pretty well with math. I’m wondering if anyone knows how different the math is on the AOR?

NevarYalnal

I’m wondering if anyone knows how different the math is on the AOR?

there's like a 400 page thread on this site containing all the info for what to expect on the ASTB, including study guides you can download; give it a once over. https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-390

as far as board dates this is the tentative schedule that was released a week or so ago, was posted on the newtothenavy reddit:

villo0692

I took the ASTB today, got me a 62 8/7/7.....I studied quite a bit for it, and even though I am an electrical engineer, I found the math quite challenging, mostly because of the time constraint, I bought two of the ASTB guides, but to be quite honest, the level of complexity was just higher than expected....not hard, but tricky with the time constraint, I did not finish this section, especially since problems kept getting harder, which given the adaptative nature of the test is supposed to be a good thing. if you are doing math problems in a guide, make sure to do them right yes, but do them as quickly as you can since you will get harder stuff in the actual test. Mechanical Comprehension, I got your typical pulley questions, some engine component ones I was not expecting, and a good 3 or 4 Spring forces ones that I was not expecting either. Compass trick worked great for the UAV portion. for the joystick part, focus on one thing at the time, so when they are throwing you all the same time, LISTEN FIRST, follow the 2D target second, and unless you have past experience with this, I would just forget about the vertical target altogether, if it is your first time as it was for me, expect to get a lot better as you go, so don't panic if you suck in the practice trial with the joystick. for the ANIT section, study all the different kinds of planes, what they do, their nicknames, when were they used and what not.. Also, study ALL the different names that the parts of ships can have. Know that the Math portion weighs a lot for your AQR and FOFAR score for all the NFO applicants here, and that ANIT and PBM weigh a lot for SNA applicants....hopefully any ASTB takers find this helpful, feel free to ask questions if you want,

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I took the ASTB today, got me a 62 8/7/7.....I studied quite a bit for it, and even though I am an electrical engineer, I found the math quite challenging, mostly because of the time constraint, I bought two of the ASTB guides, but to be quite honest, the level of complexity was just higher than expected....not hard, but tricky with the time constraint, I did not finish this section, especially since problems kept getting harder, which given the adaptative nature of the test is supposed to be a good thing. if you are doing math problems in a guide, make sure to do them right yes, but do them as quickly as you can since you will get harder stuff in the actual test. Mechanical Comprehension, I got your typical pulley questions, some engine component ones I was not expecting, and a good 3 or 4 Spring forces ones that I was not expecting either. Compass trick worked great for the UAV portion. for the joystick part, focus on one thing at the time, so when they are throwing you all the same time, LISTEN FIRST, follow the 2D target second, and unless you have past experience with this, I would just forget about the vertical target altogether, if it is your first time as it was for me, expect to get a lot better as you go, so don't panic if you suck in the practice trial with the joystick. for the ANIT section, study all the different kinds of planes, what they do, their nicknames, when were they used and what not.. Also, study ALL the different names that the parts of ships can have. Know that the Math portion weighs a lot for your AQR and FOFAR score for all the NFO applicants here, and that ANIT and PBM weigh a lot for SNA applicants....hopefully any ASTB takers find this helpful, feel free to ask questions if you want,

Thanks for the guide! Where did you take your test at?

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I took it in MEPS Boston, all recruiters there were pretty confident about me getting accepted in either SNA or NFO, they're trying to get me in before Dec 11, no mention of boards closing, or any of that

Good to hear! I am ready for this board. The reason I asked is a buddy of mine was told ASTB testing was down. That he needed to wait and I have seen on here multiple people posting results.

villo0692

Good to hear! I am ready for this board. The reason I asked is a buddy of mine was told ASTB testing was down. That he needed to wait and I have seen on here multiple people posting results.
They did say that since the main system's in Pensacola, FL, that the possibility of it dropping was slight, yet, present....you should be okay

villo0692

as far as LoRs, for those who are not active duty while applying, and who haven't been for a while, (Like me who got out about 4 years ago to go to school), who are you asking? I never really kept up with any of the officers in there since I was enlisted at the time, that only leaves past employers, and what not, the only high ranking military/government personnel I know are relatives, and I was made aware that they "don't count" for this purpose.....just want to hear your guys' thoughts and actions on this

Ghost SWO

Contributor
as far as LoRs, for those who are not active duty while applying, and who haven't been for a while, (Like me who got out about 4 years ago to go to school), who are you asking? I never really kept up with any of the officers in there since I was enlisted at the time, that only leaves past employers, and what not, the only high ranking military/government personnel I know are relatives, and I was made aware that they "don't count" for this purpose.....just want to hear your guys' thoughts and actions on this
I think from past discussions the LOR's are barely looked at, I'd ask anyone who knows you well enough and meets the requirement with some kind of leadership position or rank associated with them. For most this is going to be school professors, friends of the family with military rank, bosses at work, etc. I thought the stipulation was that it couldn't be immediate family, or is it family in general?

I think the high level of subjectivity between applicants is a reason they're rarely looked at. Someone could have a 2-Star Admiral LOR while someone else has two professors and their boss at work. The discrepancy between peoples LOR's doesn't mean that the person with the 2-Star LOR is somehow a better applicant than the person without.

villo0692

I think from past discussions the LOR's are barely looked at, I'd ask anyone who knows you well enough and meets the requirement with some kind of leadership position or rank associated with them. For most this is going to be school professors, friends of the family with military rank, bosses at work, etc. I thought the stipulation was that it couldn't be immediate family, or is it family in general?

I think the high level of subjectivity between applicants is a reason they're rarely looked at. Someone could have a 2-Star Admiral LOR while someone else has two professors and their boss at work. The discrepancy between peoples LOR's doesn't mean that the person with the 2-Star LOR is somehow a better applicant than the person without.
I was thinking something similar, a friend of mine who is currently a pilot, whom I served with as enlisted sailors, was still active when she applied, and therefore had a myriad of senior officers who knew her well who could vouch for her. I just messaged through LinkedIn a Captain whom I served under while I was still a commander, and I think I almost shit myself while at it. I guess it is good to know that, like you said they're not the end all be all of all requirements, some people are just better positioned for this kind of things than others.