• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

DylDozer

SNA PROREC-Y
Contributor
Yup LT Ray Reyes! called me "Maverick" as soon as he saw my scores hahah great guy, enlisted in the same community I was too!

Yeah, I met him out of nowhere and started the process. Made things super easy for me coming from Maine.

villo0692

Yeah, I met him out of nowhere and started the process. Made things super easy for me coming from Maine.
yes, my actual recruiter is LT Oberts, she's my point of contact, and the one I sent all my paperwork, LORs and what not, I think LT Reyes is the more senior person there, and most definitely the one who sells being a Mustang more than anyone else

DMM146

Just wanted to let any SNAs in this group know that I went and took my test today and was reaffirmed that the chances for SNA are incredibly slim for this upcoming Board to the point where I think many recruiters will not send packages to the Board. From what I have heard sending an identical packet to two different Boards is a huge deficit so they likely would not want to put applicants in that position. I was told that for NFO (what I am applying for) the Board will proceed as normal. As far as whether or not that increases our chances because there is a quota to be met I don’t think anyone can say for sure. But I was also told SNA is still accepting applications, my recruiter said they are only looking for about 10 SNA and the deadline has been moved up to December 1st to submit. Hope this helps anyone wondering and I’m bummed for anyone this negatively affects. I’m sure most of you are like me and having been trying to get in for months or even years. Just keep pushing everyone!!!

villo0692

How long does the investigation after filling out the super long form takes? I currently hold a Secret clearance because of my job, but I'd like to hear your different experiences with this regard

BDavis11

Contributor
Sad day. I have great potential of missing this board and having to wait until the next one. I am currently waiting on Nami to approve a waiver (didn't know a waiver was even submitted) for something I already had a waiver for when I joined the Navy in 2013. We all know how these waivers can take up to 6 months. Already has been a month. Since I am already enlisted, my POC won't setup my endorsements without a complete package. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Marsh

Here is what I just heard from my OR (Denver NTAG):

He has not received an OFFICIAL Navy announcement, however, it has been strongly conveyed to him that this board will be selecting minimal or NO SNA's. According to him, this is due to the Navy frontloading certain designators (SNA, Chaplain, and Med) for the last few OCS classes. Hence, the trend of high selection rate for the last few boards. Now they have a bottleneck in the training pipeline with a lot of SNA's being paid to wait in limbo. In other words, "they filled the funnel basin and have to wait for it to drain before adding more".

They are not "full of SNA applicants" for this board or no-longer in need of pilots but the training pipeline is backed up, likely slowed down by COVID-19.

The board is still looking to give out Pro rec Y to NFO's. He is looking into what happens if you apply SNA & NFO for this board and are picked up for NFO. Whether you will still be considered for SNA at the following (May) board or if you have been considered for both already.

This is still unofficial but as of now, my recruiter in Denver has been tasked to NOT send any SNA only applications to the board. I do not know if they plan on considering the ones that have already been submitted but I believe not. Why cut-off applications instead of just being more selective?

Definitely a disappointment but I guess it happens when you apply at the end of the fiscal year. Time to update our plans of action.

The board dates for FY21-22 will likely be very similar to FY20-21. I have attached this year's board schedule, for reference.

The next SNA board will probably be around May 25th with a submission deadline around April 9th.

Of course, it is possible my recruiter is incorrect with the lack of communication from NRC. So, I still plan to finish my application for this board and let my recruiter handle what to do. He is experienced and has been knowledgeable of the best ways to work the system.

I might be missing something, but didn't the Fiscal Year start on October 1st, 2020?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I might be missing something, but didn't the Fiscal Year start on October 1st, 2020?
I think that's true, but they start picking the next fiscal year's quota's beginning in the May board. The May aviation board was selecting for FY20 and FY21 quota's and the August and now October board were purely FY21 selections.

exNavyOffRec

I think that's true, but they start picking the next fiscal year's quota's beginning in the May board. The May aviation board was selecting for FY20 and FY21 quota's and the August and now October board were purely FY21 selections.

Given the new process it is probable that you will see the board before May selecting for the next FY, mainly because if a board is held mid-May results come out mid-June, that only give about 2 weeks to get people to OCS to be an accession for the current FY.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Given the new process it is probable that you will see the board before May selecting for the next FY, mainly because if a board is held mid-May results come out mid-June, that only give about 2 weeks to get people to OCS to be an accession for the current FY.
Makes a lot of sense

terraformer

Contributor
There are several errors with what your recruiter has said, for instance Chaplain and med do not go to OCS, they go to ODS and that is a different area so the people waiting to go to OCS are not affected by ODS people. The pipeline being backed up is one issue, new accessions is another as the USN commissions officers by YG and they are competing for promotion by YG (year groups). They could cut accession numbers if they don't feel they can get enough through OCS the way they are doing it.

This type of issue has happened in the past where NRD's held applications because they thought no one would be selected, and guess what, the board was held as normal, rumors cause issues, if there was truly and issue NRC would put out official correspondence. If a board was going to select no SNA's then they would just roll them over to the next board.

Good to know. He may have been making a comparison to how those designators were prioritized through training. Of course, this is ALL still only a rumor at this point and everyone should still submit their applications.

In your experience, would the NRC send out official correspondence if the numbers of SNA's selected were going to be extremely low (around 10) but not zero?

If my OR wants to hold back my application, should I request (as strongly as I can) him to still send it in no matter what?

Why would several different NRD's be saying the same thing, without any official NRC statement? My OR merely stated that he heard this "down the grapevine". I assume there is some non-official communication with NRC.

exNavyOffRec

Good to know. He may have been making a comparison to how those designators were prioritized through training. Of course, this is ALL still only a rumor at this point and everyone should still submit their applications.

In your experience, would the NRC send out official correspondence if the numbers of SNA's selected were going to be extremely low (around 10) but not zero?

If my OR wants to hold back my application, should I request (as strongly as I can) him to still send it in no matter what?

Why would several different NRD's be saying the same thing, without any official NRC statement? My OR merely stated that he heard this "down the grapevine". I assume there is some non-official communication with NRC.

If it was reduction then nothing would be sent out, if there would be no selections they would change the board schedule, if you poke around here an AD member contacted NRC and was given info that is in line with what has been done in the past, which is NRC puts out official communications.

Edit: OCS and ODS are different pipelines and have nothing to do with each other so there would be no prioritization of one over another.

apare351

Hey all, I just wanted to offer a piece of advice to everyone who is stressed about the SNA selections this time around. Don’t read too much into rumors or hearsay, this is my second time around applying (I put in for the August board) and there where tons of rumors going around there that ended up being false. Worry about what is under your control and let whatever else happens happen, this process is stressful enough without stressing about something that you literally can’t do anything about. Get your packages in, study for your ASTB’s and let whatever else fall into place. Best of luck to everyone

villo0692

Hey all, I just wanted to offer a piece of advice to everyone who is stressed about the SNA selections this time around. Don’t read too much into rumors or hearsay, this is my second time around applying (I put in for the August board) and there where tons of rumors going around there that ended up being false. Worry about what is under your control and let whatever else happens happen, this process is stressful enough without stressing about something that you literally can’t do anything about. Get your packages in, study for your ASTB’s and let whatever else fall into place. Best of luck to everyone
if you don't mind me asking, what happened the first time?

NobleJ

SNA
Here is what I just heard from my OR (Denver NTAG):

He has not received an OFFICIAL Navy announcement, however, it has been strongly conveyed to him that this board will be selecting minimal or NO SNA's. According to him, this is due to the Navy frontloading certain designators (SNA, Chaplain, and Med) for the last few OCS classes. Hence, the trend of high selection rate for the last few boards. Now they have a bottleneck in the training pipeline with a lot of SNA's being paid to wait in limbo. In other words, "they filled the funnel basin and have to wait for it to drain before adding more".

They are not "full of SNA applicants" for this board or no-longer in need of pilots but the training pipeline is backed up, likely slowed down by COVID-19.

The board is still looking to give out Pro rec Y to NFO's. He is looking into what happens if you apply SNA & NFO for this board and are picked up for NFO. Whether you will still be considered for SNA at the following (May) board or if you have been considered for both already.

This is still unofficial but as of now, my recruiter in Denver has been tasked to NOT send any SNA only applications to the board. I do not know if they plan on considering the ones that have already been submitted but I believe not. Why cut-off applications instead of just being more selective?

Definitely a disappointment but I guess it happens when you apply at the end of the fiscal year. Time to update our plans of action.

The board dates for FY21-22 will likely be very similar to FY20-21. I have attached this year's board schedule, for reference.

The next SNA board will probably be around May 25th with a submission deadline around April 9th.

Of course, it is possible my recruiter is incorrect with the lack of communication from NRC. So, I still plan to finish my application for this board and let my recruiter handle what to do. He is experienced and has been knowledgeable of the best ways to work the system.

Are you with ET1 McCabe? Also, Chaplains and Medical Professionals go to ODS not OCS. So, I am stuggling to understand you point because of that.

I hear what you are saying, but my Denver recruiter already submitted my package for SNA to the board. I am w9ndering why someone in Denver would tell you they are not going to submit your package for SNA when that same office has submitted mine for the same thing.

Coffee & JP8

I agree. rumors spread like wildfire in the military, even within the same community that it is about. The ship I used to be on was months away from being decommissioned and we were to be putting in new dream sheets shortly, according to everyone on the ship....That was 9 years ago and its still out there. Until there is official word, Dont worry about it, even if the OR is telling you something like that. Mine still believes there are rolling immediate selection boards