• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

dschiffel

I’m going to MEPS tomorrow and I probably sent my paper work in around two weeks ago. Doesn’t matter now though since I can’t apply right now.
so you send in your med docs to them and they schedule your appointment ? or do i have a say in when that is? like, a way to expedite the scheduling?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
so you send in your med docs to them and they schedule your appointment ? or do i have a say in when that is? like, a way to expedite the scheduling?
If I recall the process correctly, you should send med docs to your officer recruiter, then your OR sends your med docs to MEPS for review/scheduling. I think the only way to expedite the scheduling is to get the med docs to your OR ASAP that way your OR can make the the MEPS request sooner rather than later. The MEPS date/scheduling is out of your control except to say you can/can't make a specific date.

dschiffel

If I recall the process correctly, you should send med docs to your officer recruiter, then your OR sends your med docs to MEPS for review/scheduling. I think the only way to expedite the scheduling is to get the med docs to your OR ASAP that way your OR can make the the MEPS request sooner rather than later. The MEPS date/scheduling is out of your control except to say you can/can't make a specific date.
ok awesome, thank you. yea im really pushing for the December application but what ive got left to do is all dependent on the MEPS timing so thats a bit frustrating haha

Revitalized

Have you already completed the medical screening questionnaire? It's like 4 or 5 pages about your medical history. Your OR should have had you do that already. If you've already done that then getting you scheduled for a date before the submission deadline shouldn't be a problem. If you're waiting on additional medical documents or something like that, you might be cutting it close. Once you're there, it's a breeze unless they start asking for more documents.

I just went to MEPS yesterday and they do a profile check after the full physical is complete. I found out right then and there that I was cleared. I didn't have any waivers though.

terraformer

Contributor
Here is what I just heard from my OR (Denver NTAG):

He has not received an OFFICIAL Navy announcement, however, it has been strongly conveyed to him that this board will be selecting minimal or NO SNA's. According to him, this is due to the Navy frontloading certain designators (SNA, Chaplain, and Med) for the last few OCS classes. Hence, the trend of high selection rate for the last few boards. Now they have a bottleneck in the training pipeline with a lot of SNA's being paid to wait in limbo. In other words, "they filled the funnel basin and have to wait for it to drain before adding more".

They are not "full of SNA applicants" for this board or no-longer in need of pilots but the training pipeline is backed up, likely slowed down by COVID-19.

The board is still looking to give out Pro rec Y to NFO's. He is looking into what happens if you apply SNA & NFO for this board and are picked up for NFO. Whether you will still be considered for SNA at the following (May) board or if you have been considered for both already.

This is still unofficial but as of now, my recruiter in Denver has been tasked to NOT send any SNA only applications to the board. I do not know if they plan on considering the ones that have already been submitted but I believe not. Why cut-off applications instead of just being more selective?

Definitely a disappointment but I guess it happens when you apply at the end of the fiscal year. Time to update our plans of action.

The board dates for FY21-22 will likely be very similar to FY20-21. I have attached this year's board schedule, for reference.

The next SNA board will probably be around May 25th with a submission deadline around April 9th.

Of course, it is possible my recruiter is incorrect with the lack of communication from NRC. So, I still plan to finish my application for this board and let my recruiter handle what to do. He is experienced and has been knowledgeable of the best ways to work the system.

Attachments

• FY20 Board Schedule REV 2 COVID-19.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 30

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor

He has not received an OFFICIAL Navy announcement, however, it has been strongly conveyed to him that this board will be selecting minimal or NO SNA's. According to him, this is due to the Navy frontloading certain designators (SNA, Chaplain, and Med) for the last few OCS classes. Hence, the trend of high selection rate for the last few boards. Now they have a bottleneck in the training pipeline with a lot of SNA's being paid to wait in limbo. In other words, "they filled the funnel basin and have to wait for it to drain before adding more".

They are not "full of SNA applicants" for this board or no-longer in need of pilots but the training pipeline is backed up, likely slowed down by COVID-19.

The board is still looking to give out Pro rec Y to NFO's. He is looking into what happens if you apply SNA & NFO for this board and are picked up for NFO. Whether you will still be considered for SNA at the following (May) board or if you have been considered for both already.

This is still unofficial but as of now, my recruiter in Denver has been tasked to NOT send any SNA only applications to the board. I do not know if they plan on considering the ones that have already been submitted but I believe not. Why cut-off applications instead of just being more selective?

Definitely a disappointment but I guess it happens when you apply at the end of the fiscal year. Time to update our plans of action.

The board dates for FY21-22 will likely be very similar to FY20-21. I have attached this year's board schedule, for reference.

The next SNA board will probably be around May 25th with a submission deadline around April 9th.

Of course, it is possible my recruiter is incorrect with the lack of communication from NRC. So, I still plan to finish my application for this board and let my recruiter handle what to do. He is experienced and has been knowledgeable of the best ways to work the system.

Yes, since I posted this, seems things have changed. Even my OR has changed tones, yet is still sticking to his guns. We shall see. Just waiting for the boards, all we can do.

villo0692

Yes, since I posted this, seems things have changed. Even my OR has changed tones, yet is still sticking to his guns. We shall see. Just waiting for the boards, all we can do.
I thing at this point it is good to come to terms with the fact that things might not happen this specific board, there's always the next one....if you're anything like me, being a pilot would be the next 15-20 years of my life, if not more....so think about it....worst case scenario, what is another three or four months? if anything it gives you more time to prepare for OCS, get your shit straight and ready to go, so when the time comes, you're ready to kill it.....just something to think about

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I thing at this point it is good to come to terms with the fact that things might not happen this specific board, there's always the next one....if you're anything like me, being a pilot would be the next 15-20 years of my life, if not more....so think about it....worst case scenario, what is another three or four months? if anything it gives you more time to prepare for OCS, get your shit straight and ready to go, so when the time comes, you're ready to kill it.....just something to think about

I am on the same page. There was a thread I read a while back and the same thing happened and everyone panicked... 45 SNA's were still selected. So whatever the case, will be fine.

exNavyOffRec

There are several errors with what your recruiter has said, for instance Chaplain and med do not go to OCS, they go to ODS and that is a different area so the people waiting to go to OCS are not affected by ODS people. The pipeline being backed up is one issue, new accessions is another as the USN commissions officers by YG and they are competing for promotion by YG (year groups). They could cut accession numbers if they don't feel they can get enough through OCS the way they are doing it.

This type of issue has happened in the past where NRD's held applications because they thought no one would be selected, and guess what, the board was held as normal, rumors cause issues, if there was truly and issue NRC would put out official correspondence. If a board was going to select no SNA's then they would just roll them over to the next board.

DylDozer

SNA PROREC-Y
Contributor
I took it in MEPS Boston, all recruiters there were pretty confident about me getting accepted in either SNA or NFO, they're trying to get me in before Dec 11, no mention of boards closing, or any of that

Is your recruiter Reyes? I'm applying out of the Boston NORC.

dschiffel

Have you already completed the medical screening questionnaire? It's like 4 or 5 pages about your medical history. Your OR should have had you do that already. If you've already done that then getting you scheduled for a date before the submission deadline shouldn't be a problem. If you're waiting on additional medical documents or something like that, you might be cutting it close. Once you're there, it's a breeze unless they start asking for more documents.

I just went to MEPS yesterday and they do a profile check after the full physical is complete. I found out right then and there that I was cleared. I didn't have any waivers though.
I have completed all paperwork for medical and everything else. I am just waiting for the 6 month post surgery eye exam (Dec 2) , and once i get the paperwork from my doc that day, I'm giving it all to my OR to add to my med paperwork and then submit to MEPS. Been really emphasizing expediency to my OR and my desire to get it done by this Dec deadline. but i know ill be cutting it real close