• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

16AUG2021 SWO Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Thank you sir. Closing thoughts for me, best tips for OCS?
A positive attitude, and a strong reason to go through this program. OCS will test you mentally like, "Why am I putting myself through this, is it worth it?".

There's a lot of dumb stuff that everyone has to deal with at OCS. If you're not sure why you're going, or have any second thoughts about it, it's going to be a mentally exhausting 13 weeks. Know everything is temporary; pain, annoyance, grievances etc. The OCS training environment is also not a representation of the real military, it gets way better than what you experience at OCS.

100water1

Wasn't able to reach my OR today (he was busy). But he did say to me before that he expected results to be out late Aug-mid Sept. And that late 2021 ships were possible. It would be very nice to hear back late Aug

Navy21

OCS
Contributor
No worries,

Here is the excel sheet again, to those viewing or joining us come next week, to keep it relevant!

exNavyOffRec

Called my OR this morning. My application was updated to show "at Pro-board for SWO FY22" which my recruiter inferred was for Monday. She has no information that indicates the board will be canceled or postponed. She had not seen an "at-board" list.

I have been in the dark as to when my package would be reviewed (submitted everything in early May). I'm glad to finally have some information. She said that there were still 413 SWO OCS spots to be filled for FY22, and the average selection per board for SWO FY22 has been 138 selections. Infer the selection rate from those numbers if you wish. I am not AD, and this is my first time applying to OCS, so I don't know how those numbers stack up historically. I'm just an information sponge, so correct me if this sounds incorrect.

I also asked if having SWO as my #2 would impact my competitiveness, from her answer it seems it does not, which was good to hear. Apologies for the verbosity of the post. Good luck to all and let's get those push-up numbers and plank times up. Let the waiting game begin, I will distract my mind by picking up more shifts at my job haha.
The updated dashboard document that was shared is more up to date, 394 remaining, now this is assuming the goal is exactly the same as last year and this number won't update until Dec/Jan when hard goals come in, they are supposed to not exceed 131 per board.

#2 shouldn't be an issue.
Ok, great, do we know how many applicants have applied so far to each SWO FY22 board? That way we could truly see the average acceptance rate.

I assume our status is the same then too: “On a Pro Board” (was mine)

Other info: I believe the SWO board takes an entire week to review these packages, however, I’m hoping it’s a fairly short turnaround time because the SNA/SNFO board just got back their results 8 days after their board adjourned!

They have over 200 waiting for the board that are 1st and 2nd choice so unknown how many when you include 3rd choices, if they are going with max 131 expect 65% selection rate.

They take like a day for actual review, maybe 2 depending how many interruptions and other issues come up, the "board time" is very subjective as some could count it just as the time they are looking at applications, and other times the end date is when they were able to get all OCS dates put in", in most cases it is from the start of the board until they get all the names organized to send back to NRC, so actual application reviews are short for SWO and aviation. The larger the designator the shorter the board.

Navy21

OCS
Contributor
The updated dashboard document that was shared is more up to date, 394 remaining, now this is assuming the goal is exactly the same as last year and this number won't update until Dec/Jan when hard goals come in, they are supposed to not exceed 131 per board.

They have over 200 waiting for the board that are 1st and 2nd choice so unknown how many when you include 3rd choices, if they are going with max 131 expect 65% selection rate.

They take like a day for actual review, maybe 2 depending how many interruptions and other issues come up, the "board time" is very subjective as some could count it just as the time they are looking at applications, and other times the end date is when they were able to get all OCS dates put in", in most cases it is from the start of the board until they get all the names organized to send back to NRC, so actual application reviews are short for SWO and aviation. The larger the designator the shorter the board.

You are a legend!

Provided you can see the over 200 waiting (plus 3rd choice applicants), did they release the "At-Board" list yet? Can you see names or only digits?

There was also the question, a little while back, pertaining to the applicant's order of choice (1 2 3). Do they include this into their consideration when their quota is about to fill up? I assume this is all done electronically so I was curious as to how these packages are ordered/arranged, if that makes sense? Can the boards fill their quota before seeing all the applicants and, therefore, simply Pro-Rec-N the rest without consideration?

Additionally, are there any perks for applicants who solely applied for SWO?

Thank you

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

You are a legend!

Provided you can see the over 200 waiting (plus 3rd choice applicants), did they release the "At-Board" list yet? Can you see names or only digits?

There was also the question, a little while back, pertaining to the applicant's order of choice (1 2 3). Do they include this into their consideration when their quota is about to fill up? I assume this is all done electronically so I was curious as to how these packages are ordered/arranged, if that makes sense? Can the boards fill their quota before seeing all the applicants and, therefore, simply Pro-Rec-N the rest without consideration?

Thank you
The data is just numbers on the dashboard.

Some designators do look at that, there have been times when small designators like Supply would only look at 1st choice, for a while SWO would pick anyone, then only 1st and 2nd, so it does vary.

They will look at all and find the best qualified.

100water1

So if board time is short, what is the reason results are not immediately released? I assume there are other administrative processes, but those take ~4 weeks?

exNavyOffRec

So if board time is short, what is the reason results are not immediately released? I assume there are other administrative processes, but those take ~4 weeks?

yes, the processors have a lot of other things to do, many time critical, assigning OCS dates so the list can get sent out is not time critical. The COMDOCS for DCO's, orders for those going to OCS, processing application for board are all more time critical than assigning OCS dates, that is why it was nice when they did it behind the scenes after the list was released.

Navy21

OCS
Contributor
Freddy Z,

How did you figure out you weren’t on the board? Was it your recruiter who told you or did you find the “At-Board” list?

Sorry you weren’t at this board, best of luck and thanks for updating.

gdubs21

With the "at-board" list from @CaptMorgan, it seems the selection rate this time will theoretically be 52%, if they go with the maximum 131 slots. 131 spots / 252 "at-board" applicants = 52% selection rate. Am I missing any unknown factors by calculating it this way?