• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting about the -56s. I've continued my battle with mine and so far have lost. I just can't seem to make it accomodate my unicorn horn head, even after some modifications. The next trick is to get a slimmer Oregon Aero liner, I guess, but I'll be annoyed if it doesn't work after paying for one.
Too bad, mine fits nicely but moreover it is exceptionally comfortable. Around here I wear a headset, but over more difficult terrain I sport the -56.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too bad, mine fits nicely but moreover it is exceptionally comfortable. Around here I wear a headset, but over more difficult terrain I sport the -56.
Were you wearing it when the Grizcopter decided to commune with cows?

kejo

pilot
Interesting about the -56s. I've continued my battle with mine and so far have lost. I just can't seem to make it accomodate my unicorn horn head, even after some modifications. The next trick is to get a slimmer Oregon Aero liner, I guess, but I'll be annoyed if it doesn't work after paying for one.

I was issued one recently when my trusty -84 of 15+ years was red-tagged because of a bad edge roll repair. It definitely took more finessing to get right but it feels mostly comfortable now. Definitely need to replace the stock bubble liner, which I think is causing the only persistent hot spot after a couple months wearing it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have you considered a HGU-55/p with traditional external dual visor and NVG mount? Light weight, lots of fitting options. It's not a Helo helmet per se but very popular with fire guys and long line types.

Unfortunately that doesn't meet the requirement. It's -56 or -84.

I was issued one recently when my trusty -84 of 15+ years was red-tagged because of a bad edge roll repair. It definitely took more finessing to get right but it feels mostly comfortable now. Definitely need to replace the stock bubble liner, which I think is causing the only persistent hot spot after a couple months wearing it.

I was wondering if I could try and track down some bubble liner just to play with the thickness. I may have access to some shortly, so I guess that's the next step if I decide to bother and/or need it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Honestly I’m working up the willpower to shell out 100 bucks for the Oregon Aero one. I’m a cheap bastard.
I happen to have a few used ones, size XL. Two are full coverage and one is the X shaped kind, one or two thousand hours of sweat in each one minus periodic washings :p

(I hope nobody gagged from reading that just now... Wait, who am I kidding? I hope a few of you out there cringed at least a bit!)

croakerfish

pilot
Honestly I’m working up the willpower to shell out 100 bucks for the Oregon Aero one. I’m a cheap bastard.

You are going to kick yourself for not upgrading it sooner. I have the Gentex X-Liner and it’s unbelievable how much more comfortable and secure it makes the -84, especially on NVD’s. I’ve got about 2k hours on it and it’s going strong. Combine it with the Oregon Aero soft seal leather ear cup covers and it’s a completely different helmet.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have an old SPH-4, in great shape, other than an apparent short in the mic wiring. It is plenty comfortable for the short flights I take with the Foundation. Once our Huey is flying, I will be a crew chief and the flying opportunities will increase and reliability be more critical. Does anyone have a business to recommend troubleshooting and repairing the wiring, if necessary? The other option is converting my 1980s TACAIR helmet (HGU-2?). On the one hand I prefer that. But I would look the part of a Vietnam War Army crewman in the green SPH-4.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have an old SPH-4, in great shape, other than an apparent short in the mic wiring. It is plenty comfortable for the short flights I take with the Foundation. Once our Huey is flying, I will be a crew chief and the flying opportunities will increase and reliability be more critical. Does anyone have a business to recommend troubleshooting and repairing the wiring, if necessary? The other option is converting my 1980s TACAIR helmet (HGU-2?). On the one hand I prefer that. But I would look the part of a Vietnam War Army crewman in the green SPH-4.
I'd think an aviation electrician could take a swing at it. Or maybe an AV type tech?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Theses guys fix and sell all types. Yours would be a cinch for them to refurbish.

kejo

pilot
You are going to kick yourself for not upgrading it sooner. I have the Gentex X-Liner and it’s unbelievable how much more comfortable and secure it makes the -84, especially on NVD’s. I’ve got about 2k hours on it and it’s going strong. Combine it with the Oregon Aero soft seal leather ear cup covers and it’s a completely different helmet.
I have the X-liner for my -84…meant I was working up the nerve to buy a new liner for my new -56. But yeah they’re almost a necessity

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

You could give Gibson & Barnes a call. They have their own helmet shop and are just down the road (kind of) from you. You could also call Oregon Aero. They also have a helmet shop and "the guy" that knows everything was super helpful with working with me to get my SPH-5 to fit (it was a simple solution that I didn't even think of because it was mildly destructive to the foam). I'm sure "the guy" doesn't actually do the wiring, as there's other workers there, but the free consult over the phone while I was going through new-hire I got from OA was very much appreciated.