• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hello All,

Ok so I'm looking for gouge on the TH-73. Here's the deal I'm a former enlisted AMS2(NAC) served at HC-1, HM-12, HM-15, VR-51 and made the switch to the Army Warrant program and retired as a CWO4. Im currently the Lead Pilot and soon to be the Check Airman for my company flying EMS. My company has decided to go with the AW119kx for a replacement to our current aircraft the BK117. The president of my company is a retired Navy Captain who flew Sea Hawks back in the day and is considering the AW119kx as the replacement aircraft. I'm pretty sure he wants to model it after the TH-73, basically identical systems, navigation and autopilot. I've been searching the internet for the Operator' Manual "NATOPS Manual" so I can read ahead before I go to Philly for the transtistion course. Any PPT on systems and in-depth knowledge on the GENSYS cockpit and 3 axis autopilot would greatly help.

Thanks Joe

As a non RW guy, I have nothing to add other than welcome and cool career!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I appreciate the offer, but the 407 just doesn’t have the seating capacity or room to do team jobs ie ecmo, balloon pump. I know they researched every EMS helicopter out there. If the FAA would allow Bell to update the airworthiness on 429 and give the 500lb payload capacity back, I think the 429 would become the F-150 for air medical. Be Safe - Joe

Understood. There was always constant discussion about being able to run a balloon pump from my crews, but room was one of the dilemmas in the -135, along with crew currency and training. I think a couple of the guys had done it in the past in the -145, but most others hadn't since their only flight exposure was the -135.

Out of curiosity, is this all adult, or Peds also?

KWpilot58

We do both, we have a few specialty items like a baby pod. The biggest advantage of going with the 119 over the 407 is that when I do a PEDS transfer I can take a parent with me. Only thing I see is that we will need to tell the hospital staff to limit their equipment and not to have the back of the aircraft look like a clown car.

KWpilot58

As a non RW guy, I have nothing to add other than welcome and cool career!
So I made the switch from the NAV to the Army. I was like Forest Gump on the back of this bus evaluating life decisions. I don’t regret the decision I’m grateful for the opportunity and life it has provided me. But if I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten my degree first and go through the Navy pipeline. But that was 21 years ago this month. Be Safe - Joe

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So I made the switch from the NAV to the Army. I was like Forest Gump on the back of this bus evaluating life decisions. I don’t regret the decision I’m grateful for the opportunity and life it has provided me. But if I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten my degree first and go through the Navy pipeline. But that was 21 years ago this month. Be Safe - Joe
Having flown with Army rotor heads and Navy (Marine and Coast Guard), all I can say is it's a different mentality. Great people coming from both places but sometimes it feels like the difference between the football team and the chess club. You can apply all of the stereotypes from those, all the good stereotypes and all the bad ones too. Products of both the Whiting and Rucker pipelines both have their share of eyebrow-raising ummm let's call them quirks to be nice to everybody.

:D

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For those of you in the business like @KWpilot58 flying in more rural or urban settings? I recently read a report that RW EMS efforts are not as effective in urban areas (called them, unkindly, flying hospital billboards) but the report did note the value of spreading them across rural regions and would like to get your take on this.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
BTW @KWpilot58 stick around the boards. There is a wealth of knowledge here, lots of fun, and some decent debates. We even talk GA stuff.

Oh, just watch out for “Matsui Lost in Translation” stuff...it happens a lot.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For those of you in the business like @KWpilot58 flying in more rural or urban settings? I recently read a report that RW EMS efforts are not as effective in urban areas (called them, unkindly, flying hospital billboards) but the report did note the value of spreading them across rural regions and would like to get your take on this.
For many years, large urban community hospitals that were L1 trauma centers operated HAA/EMS Helos out of community service for the prestige and notoriety - funding the program through the entirety of the hospital system and grants - the program was not operated as a P&L center nor was it required to be self sustaining.

Fast forward to today - almost all programs are operated strictly for-profit asnd are required to be self-sustaining and profitable with gross margins in excess of 20%. That coupled with centralization of many critical care services (especially ped's) and the continued thinning of care available at rural/community hospitals and increased Medicaid reimbursements, and you have a rapid increase in HAA programs in the last 20 years. Most of the certificate holders are large for-profit entities (e.g. Air Methods). This has also driven upgrades in equipment and capability - NVD ops, IFR, etc. My view at least.

Here in the Cincinnati Ohio metro area, you can't swing a cat without hitting an EMS helo - competition is fierce between local SPIFR 2-engine programs and 2 engine VFR programs and single engine VFR programs. Crazy.

KWpilot58

Well, I’ve been doing this for the past 7 years and have hundreds of flights under my belt. I have landed at scene calls directly in downtown Rochester 5 miles from the level one and in the middle of the Adirondacks at least a 50 minute flight to the nearest level one. I think what makes air medical unique is level of medicine the MED CREW provides. The skill set they have is unmatched from any ground ambulance. I truly believe that if an Air Ambulance arrives on station no mater who the vendor is you are receiving the best possible care from some amazing folks.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
.... almost all programs are operated strictly for-profit and are required to be self-sustaining and profitable with gross margins in excess of 20%. That coupled with centralization of many critical care services (especially ped's) and the continued thinning of care available at rural/community hospitals and increased Medicaid reimbursements, and you have a rapid increase in HAA programs in the last 20 years. Most of the certificate holders are large for-profit entities (e.g. Air Methods)...

Which is why I read about these type of occurrences every couple of months.

The air ambulance charge came later by mail: $48,934.27 for the 20-minute, 30-mile flight

Then the bill came in the mail. It was nearly $82,000.

The air ambulance company said she owed $52,112 for the trip.

The Times interviewed a coronavirus patient, a middle-aged woman still coping with the “brain fog” many suffer in the aftermath of the disease — and facing a helicopter bill of $52,112