• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For those of you in the business like @KWpilot58 flying in more rural or urban settings? I recently read a report that RW EMS efforts are not as effective in urban areas (called them, unkindly, flying hospital billboards) but the report did note the value of spreading them across rural regions and would like to get your take on this.

It really depends on the model being used and the locations. The areas around N. FL are mostly rural and are served by two L1 trauma centers, as well as several other specialty hospitals (think heart/stroke stuff) in the two city centers (Jax and Gainesville). There's also a large hospital in Tallahassee for the more western counties (again, very rural). Peds is the same thing, two major hospitals in Jax and GNV, with the GNV program serving a huge area for Peds.

With two exceptions (and one of them is brand new and no doubt cock-blocking other helos), most of the programs serve the rural areas and bring people into the city centers (and sometimes that means into Orlando, as well). Most of my calls were scene from rural or small city areas, or servicing the prisons. We would get inter-facilities, but my particular base generally does more scene stuff.

In FL, one other thing that happened was that a bill passed several years ago that mandated that traumas had to go to the nearest trauma center. Then-Gov. Rick Scott signed the bill. Low and behold, all of a sudden HCA started putting up L2 trauma centers between rural areas and the L1 centers. And who used to be the CEO of HCA (replaced by his wife)? Yup, Gov. Scott. That was finally stopped after a couple of years, but the damage was done and the L2 centers are still there blocking the L1 centers.

Which is why I read about these type of occurrences every couple of months.

As you have pointed out with the airlines and pricing in the past, it's important to keep in mind how expensive running a base is. Generally speaking, only about 10% of the calls actually pay the price. The rest either don't pay or it's a reduced amount. I used to have the number of what an average base costs, but I've lost it. I think it was ~$5 million a year. An IFR base will cost more than a VFR base.

We'd get the cost question all the time when we'd do PR events. Do people get flown that shouldn't be? Yes, though it's not that often (usually due to inexperience of the ground crew that made the call request or a hospital is trying to do an interfacility and there's no county ambulances). But more often than not, if someone is saying you should be flown out, there's probably a reason. It's also interesting to see how some local hospitals will suck up as much money as they can first before making the call to fly someone out that should have been flown out 6 hours earlier because they were in such bad shape.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Medical billing and how they come up with the final price is rivaled only by the process of buying a new car when it comes to weirdness.

KWpilot58

Does any kmow of an Instructor Pilot that is currently teaching the TH119 and who might be willing to reach out?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As a non RW guy, I have nothing to add other than welcome and cool career!

Why would he want to?

If he looks up the operating costs for 119s in Conklin and DeDecker, he'll find that it costs almost 2x what a 407 costs to fly and 50% more than a 135.

jtmedli

pilot
Why would he want to?

If he looks up the operating costs for 119s in Conklin and DeDecker, he'll find that it costs almost 2x what a 407 costs to fly and 50% more than a 135.

Yeah I'm still confused as to how it won over the 407. As an outsider, I thought Bell had that in the bag

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I’m sure there are numbered accounts that have increased balance sheets to explain that. . .

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Смотря сайт MTCH.ru, увидел интересную новинку - ЦАП TJTAK Tj9863

описание очень краткое, отзывов нет, спецификация интересная.
Стоит ли своих денег?
ты говоришь по-русски?