• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

KWpilot58

Hello All,

Ok so I'm looking for gouge on the TH-73. Here's the deal I'm a former enlisted AMS2(NAC) served at HC-1, HM-12, HM-15, VR-51 and made the switch to the Army Warrant program and retired as a CWO4. Im currently the Lead Pilot and soon to be the Check Airman for my company flying EMS. My company has decided to go with the AW119kx for a replacement to our current aircraft the BK117. The president of my company is a retired Navy Captain who flew Sea Hawks back in the day and is considering the AW119kx as the replacement aircraft. I'm pretty sure he wants to model it after the TH-73, basically identical systems, navigation and autopilot. I've been searching the internet for the Operator' Manual "NATOPS Manual" so I can read ahead before I go to Philly for the transtistion course. Any PPT on systems and in-depth knowledge on the GENSYS cockpit and 3 axis autopilot would greatly help.

Thanks Joe

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sorry, I can't help, but it sounds like you have a great gig.

Enjoy!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Joe - PM me and I can give you the contact info for the Navy TH-73 PM and Factory Test Pilot - he's former Navy H-46 (HC-6) dude, and a TPS grad (was a H2P on my HAC cruise). Great dude, lives in Philly. He drove the TH-73 Genesys flight deck integration and "is the man" that NAVAIR turns to.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Joe - PM me and I can give you the contact info for the Navy TH-73 PM and Factory Test Pilot - he's former Navy H-46 (HC-6) dude, and a TPS grad (was a H2P on my HAC cruise). Great dude, lives in Philly. He drove the TH-73 Genesys flight deck integration and "is the man" that NAVAIR turns to.
Excellent work @ChuckMK23!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@KWpilot58 and I also flew the BK-117 (a B2 model) in EMS for a number of years - was also a ferry pilot flying our region spare BK all over the midwest...

kejo

pilot
My sources in PAX say that the TH-73 NATOPS is close to end of approval and should be published soon. Just checked Airworthiness (NAVAIR pubs website) and it's still not there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@KWpilot58 I would highly recommend you look at the Mx requirements for the 119. A buddy of mine (also a Seahawk guy) flies them for his EMS gig and he's not been excited about the amount of down time and/or short inspection cycle on certain components. He came from flying 109s in a previous EMS job. I remember him specifically mentioning the T/R inspection cycle being pretty ridiculous, but don't remember the details. I believe I posted them in the TH-73 thread.

I don't care either way, but curious why not go with an IFR 407? And if part of the answer is patient access, I totally get it. My -135 co-workers love to hate on the 407 for patient access.

KWpilot58

@KWpilot58 I would highly recommend you look at the Mx requirements for the 119. A buddy of mine (also a Seahawk guy) flies them for his EMS gig and he's not been excited about the amount of down time and/or short inspection cycle on certain components. He came from flying 109s in a previous EMS job. I remember him specifically mentioning the T/R inspection cycle being pretty ridiculous, but don't remember the details. I believe I posted them in the TH-73 thread.

I don't care either way, but curious why not go with an IFR 407? And if part of the answer is patient access, I totally get it. My -135 co-workers love to hate on the 407 for patient access.

Unfortunately, I’m just a small fish in the big pond and echelons above me make the decisions. A 407 is great aircraft I have over 3k hours in them, however they have their limitations. I believe that the 119kxi is the only single engine, SPIFR endorsed helicopter. Your the second person I heard that mention the T/R on the 119. looks like I have some research ahead of me.

KWpilot58

I appreciate the offer, but the 407 just doesn’t have the seating capacity or room to do team jobs ie ecmo, balloon pump. I know they researched every EMS helicopter out there. If the FAA would allow Bell to update the airworthiness on 429 and give the 500lb payload capacity back, I think the 429 would become the F-150 for air medical. Be Safe - Joe

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The 407 now has the IFR juice, thanks to the Navy's RFP. @phrogdriver can probably give some more actionable information.

The 407 has been IFR about 1 week less than the 119. I can certainly see why the Navy wanted a bigger aircraft with a cockpit resembling a Navy one.

I also will predict the Navy will soon wish it had bought the 407. 5,000,000 flight hours don’t lie.