• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_thrasher

“The TH-73A is named after the Brown Thrasher, a bird commonly found in eastern US. It is a fearless, territorial bird known for its low-level flying prowess and aggressively defending its nest.”
Nice concept but not an altogether terrifying bird...at least they didn;t name it the "titmouse" or "chickadee."

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So how does the Navy chose aircraft names - is it some random GS in NAVAIR? Is it the Air Boss after a few cocktails? Dart board?

croakerfish

pilot
So how does the Navy chose aircraft names - is it some random GS in NAVAIR? Is it the Air Boss after a few cocktails? Dart board?

I think they were hurting on this one because they asked for suggestions from the HT IPs. They clearly didn’t get much to work with because they asked us again then called it the Thrasher.
I suggested Sea Moccasin in homage to the region’s most populous bad dude, the water moccasin. Not great, but better than Thrasher…

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I thought it's an Augusta Koala. What was wrong with Sea Koala?

That would be a lot of fun to say on the radio in a down under accent. "Navy one echo zero six niner is a Sea Koala one zero miles to the north. G'day mate!"

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I thought it's an Augusta Koala. What was wrong with Sea Koala?

That would be a lot of fun to say on the radio in a down under accent. "Navy one echo zero six niner is a Sea Koala one zero miles to the north. G'day mate!"
I’m sticking with Southern Screamer…thank you @IKE