• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I've been hearing that there have been some issues with quality control and fielding of the TH-73. Any truth to the rumors?

KWpilot58

Its been a while since I've been on, but here's an update. Our aircraft are in production and being built and we expect to get our first AW119 in the coming months. For the most part it models the Navy's TH-73. Same package with the Genesis and autopilot, engine etc. Still haven't received the POH and kind of irritated with that. I'm going to be one of the Instructor Pilots and the Check Airman for the helicopter just trying to find a Navy counterpart who is now teaching the TH-73 for some insight. I'll be at the HAI conference in Dallas from the 8th-10th, PM me like to meet up with some folks who have been flying the 119

Be Safe Joe

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So it's been almost a year since first delivery to NASWF/HT's - whats the status of the program? Anyone flying it?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So it's been almost a year since first delivery to NASWF/HT's - whats the status of the program? Anyone flying it?
Judging from this photo it looks like HT-8 (and I assume the others) are doing a combo. I wonder if the new ships aren’t set aside for the advanced side of the syllabus and the old Sea Rangers bashed up on first time autorotation practice?

AF30A02D-A1AD-4E66-93D4-95585B7DD927.jpeg

croakerfish

pilot
Judging from this photo it looks like HT-8 (and I assume the others) are doing a combo. I wonder if the new ships aren’t set aside for the advanced side of the syllabus and the old Sea Rangers bashed up on first time autorotation practice?

View attachment 35696
When I was there (left just prior to receipt of the first 73) the plan was for students to stick with the same platform throughout the syllabus. Once the first class in a squadron starts on the 73 they’ll shed the 57 by graduation of the legacy studs.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
When I was there (left just prior to receipt of the first 73) the plan was for students to stick with the same platform throughout the syllabus. Once the first class in a squadron starts on the 73 they’ll shed the 57 by graduation of the legacy studs.
Makes sense.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Any word on if the anthro measurements changed for the 73? The 57’s were tiny and everything I’ve heard is that the 73 is more roomy.

kejo

pilot
Currently HT-8 (with a plus up of IPs from 18 and 28) are completing the first transition IUT syllabus. This class of about 12 previously TH-57 qualified IPs will be the first cadre of instructors to teach students in the TH-73. First classes of students should start sometime around the end of the summer but it will be a phased process so some students will go 73, while the rest go 57 until the squadron completes all IP transitions. About 15 TH-73's delivered with roughly three getting delivered per month.

I got a chance to fly it last month. Really nice aircraft, big step up from the TH-57. Lots of power, 21st century avionics, and she wants to go fast. Overtorques will be a thing of the past, but she autos more like a 60 than a 57 (low inertia rotorhead) so Nr control and overspeeds will be the biggest challenge for IPs to overcome with students, IMHO.

I actually got to watch our AMSO doing some of the anthro testing, it's a pretty interesting process. I have no idea what came out of that, but even though the cockpit overall is a bit roomier than the 57, it's not profoundly bigger (more so vertically i.e. headroom), so I don't expect them to change all that much. Seat is fore/aft adjustable and strokes, but not up/down adjustable. Pedals adjust similarly to the 57. I found it very comfortable to sit in...but I'm 5'7"...

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
My info is dated but yeah they were planning on keeping full autos in the syllabus.
I overheard from a reliable source over the weekend that the full autos were getting nixed. Again, just what I overheard and it could be conjecture. But we students were told recently about the problems that the transition IPs were having with frequent overspeeds, so it could be the case.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I overheard from a reliable source over the weekend that the full autos were getting nixed. Again, just what I overheard and it could be conjecture. But we students were told recently about the problems that the transition IPs were having with frequent overspeeds, so it could be the case.
Ironic if this is indeed true. Syllabus full autorotation was a *prime requirement* in aircraft selection. It's what excluded the more advanced contenders - eg Bell 427 and AB H135. Unreal. Leonardo employed a bench of mostly Navy TPS grads, so it makes you wonder why the issues of controlling overspeed wasn't surfaced ....