• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-73

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
But does he have a seat pan rifle? Or a valor award?
Well there was an IP, c2006 or so, who made a precautionary landing out in the sticks and was threatened by the property owner to come inside nicely, or else... (wasn't the first time somebody had used his land for alighting a stricken TH-57 and apparently he was getting a little tired of the routine).

All part of the HT lore. Strange things happen in the realms of lower Alabama.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well there was an IP, c2006 or so, who made a precautionary landing out in the sticks and was threatened by the property owner to come inside nicely, or else... (wasn't the first time somebody had used his land for alighting a stricken TH-57 and apparently he was getting a little tired of the routine).

When I PELd as a stud the property owner offered Droid and I some lemonade. And told us to watch out for cow patties.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
When I PELd as a stud the property owner offered Droid and I some lemonade. And told us to watch out for cow patties.
Yep, most PEL stories are boring but fun.

When I was a stud and riding in the back, we landed in a field/big yard out towards I suppose Allentown, along the old course rules to Pace OLF. Nothing much to it and the IP used the property owner's phone to call the squadron (no cellphones then and it was the style at the time to tie an onion to your belt).

I only ever did one off-airport landing as an IP. It was in a very large churchyard along U.S. 29 and there was a youth group meeting going on in their hall. So the kids got a little extra excitement that evening. All of my other PELs were either to a nearby airport or I was already at a field.

In both cases, we mets some really nice people. The maintenance bird came out to recover/swap with us on the first one and the truck of shame came out on the second. All in a day's work...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

OMG we had an incident when I was there as an IP where a local drove his pickup onto OLF Pace, got out, approached a turning helo at flight idle that was in middle of student swap, entered the helo and sat next to IP and proceeded to voice his displeasure of orange and white helos flying over his trailer. He finished his rant and walked off, departed in his truck.

kejo

pilot
And here we go! On the flight line - HITU flight. Looks remarkably at home! Also interesting the right seat pilot is wearing the HGU-56/P ...

AHTS pilots doing mostly syllabus validation flights. Currently two 73s on station. Students are being issued the HGU-56 as it seems the Navy is keen to phase out the 84, although I think 56’s are back ordered at the moment so magically a bunch of the “old” helmets appeared.

ChuckMK23

pilot
AHTS pilots doing mostly syllabus validation flights. Currently two 73s on station. Students are being issued the HGU-56 as it seems the Navy is keen to phase out the 84, although I think 56’s are back ordered at the moment so magically a bunch of the “old” helmets appeared.
Thank you!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A co-worker took out a turkey vulture (not a small event, in and of itself) after dropping off a patient and then PEL'ed down to a nice house with some land. While they waited for Mx, they got some tasty BBQ. When I was surveying places to land while transiting, especially on weekends, I'd always look for the bigger, nicer houses on ranch land, and then check if there was a car in the driveway. I figured that was a better place to go and probably had air conditioning to wait for Mx.

Interesting about the -56s. I've continued my battle with mine and so far have lost. I just can't seem to make it accomodate my unicorn horn head, even after some modifications. The next trick is to get a slimmer Oregon Aero liner, I guess, but I'll be annoyed if it doesn't work after paying for one.

ChuckMK23

pilot
A co-worker took out a turkey vulture (not a small event, in and of itself) after dropping off a patient and then PEL'ed down to a nice house with some land. While they waited for Mx, they got some tasty BBQ. When I was surveying places to land while transiting, especially on weekends, I'd always look for the bigger, nicer houses on ranch land, and then check if there was a car in the driveway. I figured that was a better place to go and probably had air conditioning to wait for Mx.

Interesting about the -56s. I've continued my battle with mine and so far have lost. I just can't seem to make it accomodate my unicorn horn head, even after some modifications. The next trick is to get a slimmer Oregon Aero liner, I guess, but I'll be annoyed if it doesn't work after paying for one.
Have you considered a HGU-55/p with traditional external dual visor and NVG mount? Light weight, lots of fitting options. It's not a Helo helmet per se but very popular with fire guys and long line types.