• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question about JETS and being navy officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
LOL,

Maybe they should be talkin about wrastlin' around with there women. Come on there has to be sombody that cathces your fancy in OK.

Dave

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by LadyJayUSN...(insert wink and smile here)...
icon_smile_wink.gif
icon_smile.gif

ghost_ttu

if they could just stick to talking about flying she would melt.....

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt....Didn't say it always works though"

LadyJayUSN

It's actually quite funny.

A lot of the ppl around here have similar perceptions about the military that COLLEGEGUY does...

...they think I'm sooooo cute when I go to class in uniform and all of a sudden like, they all want to be Maverick and Goose just like in 'Top Gun'....

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ever encounter that liberal teacher that thinks you are a warmonger? Or get that question, oooh, what does that ribbon/medal/pin stand for?!?! The inevitable response, I'm in the Navy Band...
icon_smile.gif

Dave Shutter

Ever encounter that liberal teacher that thinks you are a warmonger?

I had to listen to that sh!t for five years!

Dude, you were in the Army? Like...do we even, like, need a military anymore? Aren't all guns, like, evil and stuff?

But hey, I'm the one who picked an artsy-fartsy major.

Daedalus

Well it seams this topic has been dead for awhile but I thought I'd put my two cents in. This is my first post after a long time researching.

We shouldn't necessarily bring Patton back from the dead to slap college guy, there is very little humor on this site, (being it about trying to get into too few slots in the service), the last thing I laughed out loud about on this forum was the requirements for getting a commission, having to be conceived in the cockpit ect.

Well to introduce myself for all those who read, I have recently graduated and am researching on how to get a commission. My degree is in finance, but I am trying to get a second degree in engineering (seams like there is awhile before I can apply anyway in this climate)

John, this is a great site, very useful and I like the new format the darker color easier on the eyes when reading for awhile.

collegeguy

WELL, I'M GLAD THAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN A GOOD LAUGH OUT OF ME TRYING TO GET SOME INFORMATION ABOUT BEING A NAVY JET PILOT IN THE MARINES. HA HA. YOU ARE ALL FUNNY UNTIL I READ THE OTHER TOPICS AROUND HERE AND I SEE THAT HALF OF YOU CANNOT EVEN GET ACCEPTED. BUT i DO NOT MAKE FUN OF YOU ALL. ANYWAY, THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU WHO DID WANT TO HELP ME LIKE GHOST TUT AND TALI234/. THIS WEEK I GOT TIRED OF WAITING FOR MY RECRUITER TO CALL ME BACK SO I CALLED HIM AND HE SAID I CAN TAKE THE ASTB NEXT WEEK IF I'M READY.

I ONLY HAVE ONE QUESTION: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS ON THE ASTB AND OAR? IS THE TEST HARD? DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE TEST TO GET TO BE INTO FLIGHT SCHOOL? WHAT TEST SCORE DO YOU NEED TO GET IN ORDER TO FLY F-18S? IS THE TEST EASIER IN THE MARINES? MY UNCLE SAID IT MIGHT BE. i HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT i CAN STUDY TO GET READY FOR MY ATBS? I'M TAKING IT ON TUESDAY NEXT WEEK. IS THERE A BOOK OR SOMETHING I CAN STUDY FOR IT? ALSO, I HEARD THAT I SHOULD LIE FOR THE BIOGRAPHICAL PART? DID ANYONE ELSE DO THIS?

I JUST HAVE ONE OTHER QUESTION. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY F-18'S ARE IN THE NAVY? WHAT ABOUT THE MARINE CORP? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE MARINES HAVE MORE F-18'S THAN THE NAVY? I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS A WEB SITE OR SOMETHING i CAN LOOK AT TO SEE HOW MANY AIRCRAFT ARE IN EACH OF THE DIFFERENT BRANCHES. THAT WAY I MIGHT CHANGE MY MIND AND DO THE MARINES IF THEY HAVE MORE F-18'S.

DAEDALUS, YOU AND I ARE IN THE SAME BOAT! I AM GETTING READY TO GET A COMMISSION TOO. LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANYTHING OUT AND YOU CAN PRIVATE MSG ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. GOOD LUCK. I'M TAKING THE ASBT ON TUESDAY. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT'S ON THERE.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
That's pretty funny! He said "ASTB," then he said "ATBS," and then he said "ASBT!" Sorry CG, but I'm still having trouble accepting all of this!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
CollegeGuy,

I have a buddy in Primary at Whiting Field, just north of Pensacola. If you want, I can see if he can get you a tour around the squadrons. I think that there are some F-18's coming in to give the SNA's there a show. I dont know, but maybe he could get you a ride in one. Just to make sure that you want to be a jet pilot. If not maybe he could get you a ride in a T-34. They only let guys that want to be jet pilots have test rides. If you wanted to be a helo pilot maybe he could get you a ride in the helos there as well. Just thought this opportunity would get you ready for you ASTB. They also have Marine F-18's down at NAS Pensacola sometimes. So if you wanted to do the Marine thing, maybe he could get you a ride with them. The Blue Angles are also at NAS Pesacola. Sometimes they take people up for rides. However, I think only if they are important or want to be Navy Jet pilots. Anyways, let me know.

Dave

LadyJayUSN

COLLEGE GUY! WE MEET AGAIN!!

Origionally posted by COLLEGEUY:
WELL, I'M GLAD THAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN A GOOD LAUGH OUT OF ME TRYING TO GET SOME INFORMATION ABOUT BEING A NAVY JET PILOT IN THE MARINES. HA HA.

On behalf of some of myself and my fellow shipmates, you have my sincerest apologies COLLEGEGUY. As you can tell, there are just some people out there who can't seem to take this forum seriously now can they? [:I]

(Somebody needs to clue in 'flynavy')

Anyways, it looks like you're in hot water with this whole ASTB, ATBS, STAB stuff huh. Well, here's a solution that worked for pilots like Pete Mitchel (a notorious F-14 pilot, Top-Gun and everything). Just go in and wing it. You sound like a pretty intellegent individual...I'm sure you can ace something like this with little-to-no effort. And another thing...chicks don't dig guys who study.
boring_125.gif
So why study!

Once again, I wish you the best of luck!!!

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To answer your ASTB question: Have a look at the ASTB thread and THIS website. There is a lot of 'study' material to look at before your test. And NO, the Marines take the same test as the NAVY, but the Marines require higher scores (4/6/6) whereas the navy only requies (3/4/4). The higher the scores the more competitive you are. (AQR/PFAR/FOFAR)
Good luck on the test but you must study unless you are a brainiac. The ASTB test is only the first step to get into the door. Getting F/A-18's takes a lot of hard work IN flight training.
ea6bflyr [^]
Originally posted by collegeguy
I ONLY HAVE ONE QUESTION: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS ON THE ASTB AND OAR? IS THE TEST HARD? DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE TEST TO GET TO BE INTO FLIGHT SCHOOL? WHAT TEST SCORE DO YOU NEED TO GET IN ORDER TO FLY F-18S? IS THE TEST EASIER IN THE MARINES? MY UNCLE SAID IT MIGHT BE. i HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT i CAN STUDY TO GET READY FOR MY ATBS? I'M TAKING IT ON TUESDAY NEXT WEEK. IS THERE A BOOK OR SOMETHING I CAN STUDY FOR IT? ALSO, I HEARD THAT I SHOULD LIE FOR THE BIOGRAPHICAL PART? DID ANYONE ELSE DO THIS?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A little off topic...

What is the current G limitation for Prowlers? When I did some work on them it was 3Gs. I know they've replaced the center wing section on many/most aircraft (if not all) and was wondering if it's been up'ed to 4Gs or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.