• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question about JETS and being navy officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

i realize i'm new to this site, but the majority of you have to lighten up. you will not last two seconds in any ready room if college guy actually bothers you. naval aviators have a glorified history of bashing each other, especially if you show that it bothers you. good luck college boy!

kimphil

I hope you are really not as stupid as your post make you out to be. But, if you are, take this bit of advice. Stick with Navy. Not that I think you have a chance of finishing Navy AOCS.

However, your slim chance is better than none in the Marines. Nobody joins the Marines to fly. You join to be a Marine. If you have the privilege to fly, all the better. The attrition rate for the most recent Marine OCS class was somewhere around 50%. And these people KNEW what they were getting into. I doubt that if you knew what it took to be a Marine officer you would even consider it. Even if you did want to join the USMC, I'd don't think they would accept you with your aversion to running. Also, unlike the Navy, the physical training gets more intense after you receive your commission when you attend TBS. Only after 10 weeks of OCS and six months of TBS will you go on to start your aviation training. Still worth it?

NuSnake

wow...i really learned alot from that post since you said everything twice....try reading it before hand and maybe it will make more sense after you post it. So are you sure that you join the Marines to be a Marine?????? I dont know if you said it enough.

kimphil

Originally posted by BDCPUAH
wow...i really learned alot from that post since you said everything twice....try reading it before hand and maybe it will make more sense after you post it. So are you sure that you join the Marines to be a Marine?????? I dont know if you said it enough.

Shame on me, a simple cut and paste mistake. However, considering that the second half of the text is EXACTLY the same as the first half, did you have to read the entire post to figure that out? Or did you think that I actually wrote the same information again word for word?

You also incorrectly paraphrased that I wrote nobody "join the Marines to be a Marine." What I wrote was "Nobody joins the Marines to FLY. You join to be a Marine." I suppose I shouldn't assume that my audience would understand the subtlety of that sentence within the context of what I wrote particularly when my audience is distracted by an obviously TRANSPARENT mistake like repeated text.

I not sure how much of what College Guy has written you have read, since my posting was directed at people actually reading this thread, so I'll summarize what I think College Guy has been saying. I believe College Guy has made it clear that he wants to fly Hornets. He's not necessarily interested in being a naval aviator, or being a naval officer, or being in the Navy. It's Hornets or nothing.

While I think College Guy has the wrong attitude, it is possible, although unlikely, to get away with it in the Navy. It's certainly possible that a recruiter might send College Guy to Pensacola for OCS, but the Drill Instructors there would pick up on Guy?s attitude and ride him until he DOR or he washed out.

The advantage of the Navy is that OCS for them is also a combined preflight indoctrination for aviation candidates, so that from day one Guy would be learning the things he needed to know to fly. In contrast, preflight indoctrination doesn't occur in the Marines until after OCS and TBS. That's almost a year of training.

The advantage of the Navy for Guy is that if he couldn't hack it in OCS, he could DOR with no commitment. If he didn't have what it takes he to be an aviator in the Marines, too late, he would already have accepted his commission and would be committed to at least four years. I don't know what happens to people who drop there air contracts in the Marines, but I'd imagine that they would be tossed into infantry.

So if are considering the Marines, given the commitment, you had better be interested in being in the Marines MORE than being an aviator in the Marines.

P.S.

The Marines have a program called Platoon Leaders Class (PLC). There's also an aviation variant called PLC aviation. For juniors like you College Guy, they send you to OCS in the summer for 10 weeks, give you FAA approved flight instruction at a civilian airport and guarantee a slot at flight school in the Marines. The advantage to you Guy is that you get all of this and you are not committed to the Marines. You only get offered a commission after you graduate from college and I believe that you have a year after graduation to accept or decline the commission. Something to think about Guy.

NuSnake

you cant really be taking COLLEGEGUY seriously. If you are, good lord get a life. Its a guy trolling this forum just having some fun. I havent taken him seriously once and I wouldnt expect anyone with a sense of humor too either. Good God man, I bet your kindergarden teacher had to write "doesnt work well with others" alot. Get a sense of humor and dont let everything anybody says in life bother you

kimphil

No disrespect intended, but do some research before you start writing things about another service.

Navy OCS has absolutely nothing to do with Aviation Indoctrination. ALL (Navy and Marine) Aviators go through Aviation Preflight Indoctrination together at Pensacola. From day ONE of Navy OCS, a Candidate learns how to be an Officer first.

No distrespect taken, but you are wrong College Guy. Haven't you seen "Officer and a Gentlemen"? Do you think they make all naval officer candidates go through the Dilbert Dunker, or learn aerodynamics. Or maybe its just the AVIATION officer candidates? The Aviation Officer Candidates School at Pensacola is a Combined OCS and Aviation Indoctrination, although I believe they train with other non-aviation officer candidates since all navy OCS candidates report to Pensacola. There is a separate aviation preflight indoctrination at Pensacola for officers who already have commissions (e.g. Academy grads, naval officers switching to aviation, Marine officers, etc.) You should really do your homework College Guy.

kimphil

dont tell me youre getting your info from a movie.......

From what I've heard the movie is fairly accurate about the life of an aviation officer candidate. Two exceptions that I know of are (1) OCS is in Pensacola, Florida not Washington State (the producers relocated their OCS to Washington because the Navy didn't cooperate with the filming. I don't think they appreciated officer candidates being portrayed as horny, suicidal womanizers and deadbeat dads). And (2) the wall on the obstacle course is much higher than the real thing (good drama). Could be more, I don't know, never been to AOCS.

kimphil

riiiiiiiight.......my point exactly...you've never been to OCS

Guess you've got me. I've also never been to the moon, but supposedly it's not made of cheese. Won't know for sure until I've been there.

Dismissing what I said because I haven't been there is a specious argument. I simply used a fictional movie to illustrate the point I was making. It doesn't make what I wrote less legitimate.

Schwabenprinz

Kimphil, I'm not even applying for Navy and I already know you don't know squat about Navy OCS. Do some more research before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

-------------------
This space for rent

kimphil

Originally posted by Pap
From what I've heard the movie is fairly accurate about the life of an aviation officer candidate

OK, you?re joking right? Like I said before, do some research (watching a movie is not research) before you start talking about things you have no idea about.

There is a separate aviation preflight indoctrination at Pensacola for officers who already have commissions (e.g. Academy grads, naval officers switching to aviation, Marine officers, etc.) You should really do your homework College Guy.

There is no separate Preflight Indoctrination and there are no more Aviation Officer Candidates and ALL (read that again, ALL) SNA?s (Navy and Marine) will go through API together. It doesn?t matter if you got commissioned through the Academy, ROTC, OCS or anything else. The reason I can guarantee you that Navy OCS has nothing to do with Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API). Is because I just got Commissioned through OCS a few months ago.

the wall on the obstacle course is much higher than the real thing (good drama)

Correct, also, there is no rope attached to it.

Thanks, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong. My point in using Officer and a Gentlemen is factual accuracy, or as the case may be, factual inaccuracy. The information that I've been reading is accurate (and Officer and a Gentleman, again, is an illustration) but not current. So reading something printed last year (2002) may be not reflect current practice. What I have been reading is consistent with Officer and a Gentlemen. That's why I used it. I'm interested in naval aviation from the Marine perspective. On the other hand, I'm interested in knowing how the other half (Navy) gets there wings because of the obvious overlap with the Marines. That's why I'm reading this thread.

When someone dismisses point by saying I've never been there, well that's not helpful.

kimphil

Originally posted by Schwabenprinz
Kimphil, I'm not even applying for Navy and I already know you don't know squat about Navy OCS. Do some more research before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

-------------------
This space for rent

Thanks for the useless advice.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Wow, this is a thread that Jerry Springer, Chris Matthews, Donahue, et al would be proud of! Keeping with the tradition, anyone else here think kimphil is collegeguy's mom or sister?

Status
Not open for further replies.