• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question about JETS and being navy officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

collegeguy

HI, I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM. I'M A JUNIOR IN COLLEGE RIGHT NOW (ROLL TIDE!!) BUT I THINK I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO BE IN THE NAVY TO SERVE MY COUNTRY AND BE AN OFFICER IN THE NAVY.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS, HOW HARD IS IT TO BE A JET PILOT IN THE NAVY??? CAN THE NAVY RECRUITER GUARANTEE ME A JET POSITION??? IF I DON'T GET SELECTED FOR OCS AS A PILOT, DO I STILL HAVE TO GO?? IF I DON'T GET JETS DURING FLIGHT TRAINING, DO I HAVE TO STAY IN THE NAVY?? WHAT IF I GET JETS BUT THEN LATER I DON'T GET F-18'S???? DO I STILL HAVE TO BE IN THE NAVY THEN??? i REALLY THINK I'M GOOD ENOUGH TO FLY JETS SO I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I WILL. I MEAN, IM' NOT TRYING TO BRAG BUT I KNOW I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE NAVY JET PILOT.

IF THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION IS NO, THEN CAN i JOIN THE MARINES INSTEAD??? HOW HARD IS IT TO BE A JET PILOT IN THE MARINES??? CAN THE MARINES RECRUITER GUARANTEE ME A JET POSITION??? IF I DON'T GET SELECTED FOR OCS OR PLC AS A PILOT, DO I STILL HAVE TO GO?? IF I DON'T GET JETS DURING FLIGHT TRAINING, DO I HAVE TO STAY IN THE MARINES?? WHAT IF I GET JETS BUT THEN LATER I DON'T GET F-18'S???? WOULD I STILL NEED TO BE A MARINE AFTER THAT??? SINCE I KNOW I'M GOOD ENOUGH TO BE A NAVY JET PILOT, THERE'S NO DOUBT I'M GOOD ENOUGH TO BE MARINES JET PILOT.

WHAT IF I JOIN THE MARINES, GO TO FLIGHT SCHOOL, BUT I DON'T GET JETS??? CAN i THEN FLY JETS IN THE NAVY INSTEAD? WHAT ABOUT THE ARMY?? I DON'T THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO FLY ANYTHING BESIDES JETS. ONE OTHER QUESTION - IF I JOIN THE MARINE CORP TO BE A PILOT, WOULD I HAVE TO EVER CRAWL AROUND AND GET DIRTY?? I DIDN'T GO TO COLLEGE TO GET DIRTY. I JUST NEED TO BE A JET PILOT BECAUSE I KNOW I'M GOOD ENOUGH.

THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION - i'M LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING A JET PILOT IN THE MARINES

ghost_ttu

Well I'm going to just get you ready for the gentle flaming you are going to receive. You need to do some research, just read through some of the past post and that will get your answers. But the basic answer is NO.

I too would love to fly jets, however; there is no guarantee, and timing, skill and luck play into it. Both Navy and Marines can guarantee you a flying contract (provided you pass the physical) But once you commission you have a commitment, that means no matter what happens you will complete atleast 4 years. It will just depend on your performance in flight school, your rank in your flight class, and the needs of the Navy or the Marines. Same for getting 18's if you got that far.

You'll need to check your attitude. You won't make it in the marines with that attitude, now will you make it in the Navy, getting dirty is just part of the job. And your job will not be just flying. I'll let people that are in the program get on this some more, but I just wanted to put that out there as kindly as possible to try to lower the level of flaming that will probably come from this.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

JayManC

COLLEGEGUY...EASY WITH THE CAPS!!!

ghost is right, if you do even a perfunctory search through this site, you will find that there are tons of guys....and gals who think/know/wish/feel that they have what it takes to be a jet pilot....or pilot at all for that matter. The first step is looking into a commissioning program. 2006 makes you a freshman if my math is right, which gives you a myriad of avenues to look into. will you get dirty? most likely. the navy/marine corps/air force/army need pilots....but more than that they need officers first.
heres the deal. lets say you go through OCS which is the avenue most of us are pursuing either because we're too late in the game for the academy, or have already graduated and/or don't desire to do a 2-year stint in ROTC. IF (and with your attitude it's a pretty big if) you got accepted than yes they could guarantee you a slot at flight school (provided that theres a slot to be had). after that anyplace you want to go is purely up to you (and the needs of the navy)
can you get out? from what i understand once you raise your right hand and accept those gold bars....the short answer is no, you would then be obligated for 4 years and if you get your wings...it's either another 8. now if for some reason the navy broke the contract with you...(ie: ensuring you a spot at API/flight school, and then telling you that they cant give you one 9as is the case with one member on here)) then im sure thats looked upon at a case-by-case basis and you may be able to terminate your obligation.

and one more thing....
I DON'T THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO FLY ANYTHING BESIDES JETS.
won't get you anywhere

<insert something witty here:>

collegeguy

GHOST TUT, THANKS FOR YOUR GOOD ADVICE. YOU MADE IT SOUND LIKE IT'S NOT A SURE THING TO FINISH FLIGTH SCHOOL? WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU FLUNK OUT OF FLIGHT SCHOOL. IF I FLUNK OUT OF FLIGHT SCHOOL, CAN I GO TO MARINES CORP FLIGHT SCHOOL?? ONE MORE THING - IF I GET JETS IN THE NAVY BUT I DON'T GET F-18'S, COULD I FLY F-18'S IN THE MARINES INSTEAD?

THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS. I'M GETTING MY B.A. DEGREE IN PSYCHOLOGY IN 2004, SO IF IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE i WILL GET JETS IN THE NAVY I COULD MAKE A LOT OF MONEY AS A PSYCHIATRIST INSTEAD. SO I WANT TO MAKE SURE.

ONE MORE QUESTION - IS THERE A WEB SITE ABOUT BEING A JET PILOT IN THE MARINES CORP? I WANT TO FIND OUT HOW TO APPLY.

I HAVE ONE QUESTION - YOU SAID THAT MY JOB WILL NOT JUST BE FLYING? WHAT IF i GET JETS THOUGH? DO I STILL HAVE OTHER JOBS IF IM' AN F-18 PILOT? IS THAT THE SAME FOR THE MARINE AND THE NAVY?? THANK YOU.

collegeguy

JAYMAN C, SORRY BUT MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN. its to hard type like this with the shift key the whole time> SORRY.

ghost_ttu

collegeguy, I'm gonna go ahead and push off and let you research these questions. You can not jump from Navy to Marine, when you go to a branch you have a contract with that branch that you have to complete. If you fail out of flight school then you will most likely never get another chance at flight school.

collegeguy

THANKS AGAIN GHOTST - WELL, WHAT ABOUT THE COASTGUARD??? I HEARD THAT THE COASTGAURD HAS JETS BUT THEY JUST AREN'T AS FAST AS THE F-18. THEY LOOK LIKE A LEAR JET OR SOMETHING. IF I GO TO THE NAVY BUT THEY WANT ME TO BE A C-130 PILOT OR 747'S OR SOMETHING, CAN I BE A JET PILOT IN THE COASTGUARD??

I HEARD THAT YOU CAN BE A TEST PILOT IN THE NAVY BUT NOT IN THE MARINE CROP. CAN YOU BE A TEST PILOT IN THE COASTGAURD??

JAY MAN C - YOU SAID SOMETHING ABOUT BEING IN FOR FOUR YEARS? I JUST HAVE ONE QUESTION - WOULD YOU HAVE TO STAY IN THE FOUR YEARS EVEN IF YOU DON'T GET F-18'S? AND IS THERE A WAY TO GO TO THE NAVY FLIGHT SCHOOL WITHOUT AGREEING TO THE FOUR YEARS? WHAT ABOUT THE MARINES. THANKS AGAIN.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayManC

im gonna have to side with ghost here and let you research this.
once you obligate...youre locked in for good or bad. chances are if you get into flight school, do well, and you cant land on the boat...you aint gonna fly f18s, and no they wont let you opt out for the coast guard. once in a blue moon someone transfers their commission, but they will not let you shop around.
i think the tab is either 1 or 2 million to train a pilot and believe me theyre gonna get their money out of you. if youre looking to fly, and fly only i would recommend either a tanker/cargo track through the AF or possibly look into WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training) through the army (yes that means helicopters, ad yes you would have to enlist first). As for the navy/ marine corps youre most likely to get flight time as a c130 pilot.
another option is to look into the ANG where you know exactly what youre going to fly before you commit.

<insert something witty here:>

collegeguy

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE COAST GAURD? HOW HARD IS IT TO BE A JET PILOT IN THE COAST GUARD??? CAN THE COAST GAURD RECRUITER GUARANTEE ME A JET POSITION??? IF I DON'T GET SELECTED FOR CG OCS AS A PILOT, DO I STILL HAVE TO GO?? IF I DON'T GET JETS DURING FLIGHT TRAINING, DO I HAVE TO STAY IN THE COAST GUARD??

JUST ONE MORE QUESTION - DO YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE COAST GAURD FOR FOUR YEARS IF YOU'RE A PILOT??? DOES THE COAST GUARD HAVE TEST PILOTS???? WHAT ABOUT ASTRONAUTS?? THANKS.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

collegeguy

JAY MAN C -

i REALLY DON'T WANT TO FLY TANKERS OR CARGO. DOES THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD HAVE TEST PILOTS? CAN THEY GUARANTEE ME A TEST PILOT SLOT BEFORE I SIGN UP?? DOES IT HAVE TO BE FOUR YEARS IN THE ANG?? THANKS AGAIN.

ghost_ttu

collegeguy, all the questions you are asking would be better answered through some research. You'll find more information while you are researching the topics than you can imagine. After you have researched the basics (process of being accepted, commitment, pipelines) and then you have more questions, then come ask. But for us to hand you all the answers shows that you haven't really looked and it doesn't make since for us to explain the whole process to you. It is written very well in other places. You might read the journals available to you as well and they will give you some insight. I will say this there are NO guarantees that you will get jets unless you go ANG. And ANG is VERY competitive, and most of those guys have REALLY high AFOQT scores and lots of flight hours. If you don't know what an AFOQT is, then you need to research what it takes to apply for a pilot slot in the Air Force as well. Once you know the whole gammot then you will feel on a level playing field to ask questions that people here can be at better service.

jet_ifr

collegeguy, you need to re-evaluate your ideals about flying in the military...the attitude that you have, "I don't wanna if I don't get jets," sucks. No branch of the service will guarantee you up front a test pilot, jet pilot, or cargo pilot up spot. All they'll guarantee you is a slot at flight school AFTER OCS where you'll have the chance to become a pilot. shrink your head a bit before going to your local OSO's office. If you walk in and tell a Marine officer you don't want to be crawling around in the mud...he'll politely tell you to leave.

collegeguy

THANKS GUYS - I DID A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH AND I THINK i AM GOING TO APPLY TO THE NAVY AND THE BACHELOR DEGREE COMPLETION PROGRAM. I HAVE JUST ONE QUESTION - WILL THE NAVY PAY FOR THE SCHOOL THAT I ALREADY HAVE COMPLETED??

I GUESS YOU HAVE TO PICK THREE JOBS TO APPLY FOR? WHAT IF YOU ONLY WANT TO BE A JET PILOT?? IF I HAVE TO PICK THREE JOBS I WILL PICK THESE:
1. SNA
2. SUPPLY CORP
3. HELICOPTER
UNLESS YOU CAN APPLY FOR MEDICAL JOBS? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE NAVY HAS DOCTORS AND MEDICAL PEOPLE?? I AM GOING TO BE A PSYCHIATRIST WHEN I GRADUATE AND I WOULD RATHER PUT MEDICAL FOR MY THIRD CHOICE INSTEAD OF HELICOPTER.

JET IFR - I'M SORRY IF YOU THINK MY ATTITUDE "SUCKS" BUT YOU MIGHT NOT UNDERSTAND MY POSITION. IT'S HARD FOR ME TO DECIDE TO COME INTO THE NAVY OR MARINES CORP IF I THINK THEY MIGHT TRY TO MAKE ME FLY C-130'S OR 747'S. OR EVEN IF THEY WOULD MAKE ME BE IN SUPPLY OR ANOTHER TYPE OF JOB. THE REASON IS BECAUSE I CAN MAKE A LOT OF MONEY BEING A PSYCHIATIST. SINCE I REALLY WANT TO FLY JETS, THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO DO. AND IF I CAN'T THEN IT WOULD BE BETTER TO GET A BETTER JOB. I'M SURE IF YOU LOOKED AT IT THAT WAY IT WOULD MAKE SENSE.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!

tali264

Originally posted by collegeguy

JET IFR - I'M SORRY IF YOU THINK MY ATTITUDE "SUCKS" BUT YOU MIGHT NOT UNDERSTAND MY POSITION. IT'S HARD FOR ME TO DECIDE TO COME INTO THE NAVY OR MARINES CORP IF I THINK THEY MIGHT TRY TO MAKE ME FLY C-130'S OR 747'S. OR EVEN IF THEY WOULD MAKE ME BE IN SUPPLY OR ANOTHER TYPE OF JOB. THE REASON IS BECAUSE I CAN MAKE A LOT OF MONEY BEING A PSYCHIATIST. SINCE I REALLY WANT TO FLY JETS, THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO DO. AND IF I CAN'T THEN IT WOULD BE BETTER TO GET A BETTER JOB. I'M SURE IF YOU LOOKED AT IT THAT WAY IT WOULD MAKE SENSE.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to jump in here. Collegeguy, I think you should reconsider your options. You want a jet or nothing, so I suggest you go be a psychiatrist. The military isn't there to provide jets for everyone who thinks they deserve it, because they dream about it, or because they KNOW they have what it takes. You serve the military, they don't serve you. Don't forget that.

I don't think jet_ifr misunderstood anything. We all make choices and you don't seem to be willing to risk anything to get what you want. That's fine, but don't say you'll want to quit because you didn't get hornets. You can bet the Navy isn't going to just let you walk away because you didn't get what you thought you deserved after they spent all that money training you.

Originally posted by collegeguy
I THINK i AM GOING TO APPLY TO THE NAVY AND THE BACHELOR DEGREE COMPLETION PROGRAM. I HAVE JUST ONE QUESTION - WILL THE NAVY PAY FOR THE SCHOOL THAT I ALREADY HAVE COMPLETED??

Not everyone gets accepted into the BDCP program, in fact, even getting accepted to be a pilot is tough because of so many qualified people applying. And no, the Navy doesn't pay you for school you've already completed.

You haven't mentioned what your major/GPA is or if you have flight time. Many people here have been getting rejection letters. The only person to have been accepted recently has a degree in aeronautical engineering with a 3.97 GPA and lots of flight time. How do you compare?

Yes, the Navy has medical personnel.

And you don't have to put 3 choices down, but you can.

And helicopter IS SNA. Helicopters need pilots too!!!

I think you should check your attitude and then go visit a recruiter if you really want to do this.

marcurb

collegegay
you suck just to start things off. you know nothing about airplanes or the navy or marine corps. You should just quit while you are ahead and stay in the civilian world. You will never be worth a damn to the Navy or Marine Corps with you attitude. There are no damn 747's in the navy, you want one of those join the AF they have one or two. There is no way you can be a test pilot with a psychology degree. By the way, you are nothing special! There are a 100 guys on this website alone that are in better shape to be a jet pilot and probably 10 of them will make it. SO dont think that you are special, if you were that damn special you would actually be informed and not struting around this forum like you own the damn place and acting like we are all a bunch of left overs. You my friend are the left over, not any special case or something that needs to be understood. The navy also does not employ the C-130, that is the marine corps. If you want to be a marine, you first have to go through their OCS, then TBS, which is where they make you crawl through mud and basically become an infantry officer. Remember, all marines are infantry man, then they are whatever their MOS is. The marine corps is not for you. I am not so sure that jets in any service are for you, because those who are jet pilots have to go to SERE school, where they show you what it is like to be somebodies POW. You would probably cry. Well I do wish you the best with your head shrinking practice, i am sure you will do fine.

"Be careful out there..." "If I was careful I would have joined the Coast Guard."

Status
Not open for further replies.