• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pipeline Cut

Lustrante

pilot
For last week's selections a guy was told he got rotary (not his first choice). The XO offered to speak with him if he wanted (XO supposedly gave out the selections that week). Turns out the civilians from the squadron that pass the NSS's to CNATRA sent up the wrong NSS. This mistake was only discovered after the guy talked with the XO and a few phone calls were made. Guy ended up getting Tailhook. Sometimes the greasy-wheel theory works, but I imagine this is an extreme case.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I selected out of Primary, my CO took us all into a conference room (with beer, at 9 in the morning, I love Naval Aviation). Went around the table making idle chitchat and telling the other guys that they got helos.

Made as if to get up and then went, "Oh, Ensign! Almost forgot about you. What was your first choice?"

"Jets, sir."

"Oh, umm, ok. Well, what was your second choice?"

"E2/C2, sir."

"Hmm. Well how about your third choice?"

*gulp* "Helos, sir."

"Oh, really." (long pause) "So you wouldn't be disappointed if I told you you got jets?"

"No, sir!"

"Oh, well in that case, you got jets!"

I think it's tradition for Primary skippers to harass the jet selectees, or at least it was with this particular skipper. What a guy.:D

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Make sure you let all your instructors in advanced know that you had jet grades but got screwed by the Man. Then, if you make it through, be sure to tell everybody in your community that you had jet grades and shouldn't be stuck there. Having said that: if you think my response makes me sound like a dick, imagine what you sound like. Learn this now because it will be useful your entire career: the Navy owes you nothing - whether you worked hard for it or not.

So, in all seriousness, shut your hole and be grateful - being a whining tool now can follow you all the way to the Rag and your first tour.

EDIT - By the way, I do know that comes off as harsh, but he needs to get over it before he damages his reputation in his new community. Students sometimes don't realize that instructors talk to each other across the pipeline, but they do.

Well said. For all of you in primary getting ready to select, or even less far along in the pipeline, and for those of you who have selected and "gotten screwed" into flying something other than tailhook let me give you some advice. Resist the urge to voice that opinion around if you can't wrap your head around the fact you are lucky to be a member of a very elite and fortunate organization. If you take a negative attitude into the community you are destined for, you will alienate yourself, establish a terrible reputation that is tough to recover from, and it will negatively impact your performance. I assure you that if you look at the positives, take the time to actually experience what a community is like before you judge and work hard to be the best you can be at what you do, you will find that you love your community and your aircraft. If you are unable to do that....DOR. Nobody is forcing you to stay in the fraternity. Harsh....perhaps, but true...absolutely. Bert is absolutely right...keep bitching and talking about how you got screwed and it is so unfair and you are going to fight it (which rarely works and only under unusual circumstances), your Advanced IP's will know, your RAG IP's will know, and yes, your fleet squadron will hear about it too. You don't want a rep as a whiner, etc before you ever show up. Think about it...even on AW, you may be showing your ass to people who may be your fleet squadron DH's...I know a few on here from the P-3 community....and others.:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Think about it...even on AW, you may be showing your ass to people who may be your fleet squadron DH's...I know a few on here from the P-3 community....and others.:D
THIS IS GOOD GOUGE!!! You'd be amazed who lurks on here.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Last Thursday at Vance all three got P-3's. We all had over a 50 NSS, and all I can say is I'm pissed.

Make sure you let all your instructors in advanced know that you had jet grades but got screwed by the Man. Then, if you make it through...

Noted for future reference. I was looking for a new onwing anyways. I'll make sure and keep my eye out for you so I can give you a nice "Welcome aboard!"

Put it behind you dude. If you don't, it will affect you here. Attrition is low in advanced but, I am sure the other SNAs would be happy for you to fill one of the few slots.

...your Advanced IP's will know... you may be showing your ass to people

Well said...and yes, we are watching.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Noted for future reference. I was looking for a new onwing anyways. I'll make sure and keep my eye out for you so I can give you a nice "Welcome aboard!"

Put it behind you dude. If you don't, it will affect you here. Attrition is low in advanced but, I am sure the other SNAs would be happy for you to fill one of the few slots.

Well said...and yes, we are watching.

The guy is solid, know him for two years now. Just letting his emotions get the best out of him, and it has taken him more than one night to drink his dreams off. I know he knows he has taken an improbable road from being a SNFO to SNA to where he is now. He'll be a good addition to the humor in the community.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
You can attrite out of prop advanced?

1%

The guy is solid, know him for two years now. Just letting his emotions get the best out of him, and it has taken him more than one night to drink his dreams off. I know he knows he has taken an improbable road from being a SNFO to SNA to where he is now. He'll be a good addition to the humor in the community.

No worries...just posted for effect. Nothing said here means anything (as it should be) but, others guy's comments on knowing your audience are dead on.

If he gets to be my onwing he will soon learn the value of the maritime communites. OBTW, I am a recovering E-6 guy turned FTS so don't lump me in with the P-3 nazis.

MasterBates

There is a difference between E6 and P3 system nazis? :D

(Oh I forgot, E6 guys cared much less about the "prop system")

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You want a rep REAL QUICK, go ahead and try to "fight it." I distinctly remember some assclown who selected Prowlers out of VT-9 a month or so ahead of me. Student rumor mill put out that he broke down in tears, ripped the Prowler patch off his flight suit and put the T-45 one back on. He was lucky to be serving under one of the coolest COs ever to wear a command pin in that he didn't get reamed. One of the guys in the next class wanted Prowlers, and a slot magically appeared for him as the whiner went off to Hornet land. Dunno who decided what to make that happen. Yeah, he got what he wanted but he lost all respect from anybody who heard the story in order to get it. Suck it up and deal.

cat-okay.gif

I bet now he tells everyone that if you make a big stink, you can get what you want. I'm sure he's spreading some GREAT gouge around....:icon_rage

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
There is a difference between E6 and P3 system nazis? :D

(Oh I forgot, E6 guys cared much less about the "prop system")

There is a difference or at least there used to be. It was squadron dependent. Notice I say "recovering" E-6 guy. I have way more time in other aircraft (T-34/T-44/UC-12) than an E-6. A result of my FTS gig. Most E-6 guys I know are not concerned with the temperature at which the schvitzer valve opens...now the temperature at which my Tecate has been chilled to is a whole other question. Back to the game...I'm out.

Sorry about the thread jack...back to the whining and sage advice from the 4000 post geniuses.:)

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Now I've hear it all

Apparently a friend of mine was told by a officer selection recruiter that the pipeline cuts were due to "not enough jet pilots retiring." I could not stop laughing. So according to a recruiter these cuts will be here for a while. LOL

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Well, just found out that I'm too tall for the T-45 cockpit so I put down P3s instead. It was tough selecting between helos and P3s, but I think I made the right choice. Kind of disappointing to work so hard and get to this point to find out something medical holds you back from your dreams. Oh well, I hear Hawaii is a pretty nice place to be stationed.:)