• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot from USNA

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
I am not really sure why I want to go to the USNA so badly. I can't explain it really.
What grade are you in?

fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
SWO doesn't really interest me at all.
I understood that part. What I'm asking is why doesn't it interest you?

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

I am in 10th grade. SWO doesn't intrest me because there are other things that i would rather do in the military. Driving a ship or operationg the gun system on teh ship doesnt sound like fun to me.
I know that Bubba didn't exactly say that aviation is the easiest to get into but if they recieve the most midshipmen then I would think that it is the easiest.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
Yes, I know, or was that for fut.midshipman's benefit?
It was for everyone's benefit who don't know the difference. By your context, I assumed you were calling a redesignation an interservice transfer.
HH-60H said:
You can also interservice transfer. If you are NPQ you can go into the RL/Staff communities.

HH-60H said:
Actually, you can be NPQ for URL straight out of the Academy and not have to redesignate.
Thought you were talking about him being NPQ'd after he was selected for SNA.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
While I am not a SWO, how on earth do you know there are other things in the military you would like to do? What exactly do you know about the military? Would you rather be an infantry officer, or maybe a boiler tech?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Steve- My bad, I wasn't clear. I meant from USNA you can interservice transfer OR Staff/RL (if NPQ).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
I am not really sure why I want to go to the USNA so badly. I can't explain it really. SWO doesn't really interest me at all.
Also out of all those choices that you listed to me Bubba do I get to pick which I want or do they say your doing this or do I get like to pick out of liek 3 of them?

You list what you want... between 1 and 6, depending on what you're medically qualed for. They then tell you what you get. They try to get everyone one of their top two choices. However, needs of the Navy/Marine Corps trump what you want.

Case and point: I was qualed for Navy Pilot, Navy NFO, Marines (NFO and Ground) and SWO. That also happens to be the order I put my choices. Needs of the Navy and class standing put me at SWO. Not what I wanted, but open to it none the less. Later on, I was offered an NFO billet and took it.

All came down to needs of the service.

(No offense Steve, but I'd rather be flying...)

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
I know that Bubba didn't exactly say that aviation is the easiest to get into but if they recieve the most midshipmen then I would think that it is the easiest.
Bad assumption.

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

I know a bit about the military. Enough to know that i don' want to be a SWO. MP, Infantry, Aviation(pilot or NFO), Lawyer and translator(I think they are called cryptologist)

Sorrry for assuming with Bubba's reply but can you further explain that or me then if I assumed wrong.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Man, this thread is a mess. fut.Midshipman, let's take a step back for a second. First of all, if you want to join the military and become an officer, you can do it one of three ways, all of which are covered well here on the forums.

1. USNA out of high school.
2. ROTC at a regular college.
3. Regular college and then OCS (there are several programs that make this happen).

USNA (or any service academy) is just one method to get to the commission. After the commission, then you go to whatever job you were selected for. It's based off the needs of the Navy, but you get to request it. For all three of these choices above, you can select the options that Bubba mentioned. These are called "Unrestricted Line." There are other options (like medical or lawyer) that, generally, you have to go through another program to get into. These are also called "Restricted Line."

So, the major take away is that USNA is not the only choice to go the route of Aviation. Just want to make sure you're aware.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Steve Wilkins said:
But I bet it's not simply because you don't want to be a SWO.

Yup... I was actually pretty excited about gettin to the ship. Would have been a completely new experience and I was lookin forward to it. Who knows, I may have liked it.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Yup... I was actually pretty excited about gettin to the ship. Would have been a completely new experience and I was lookin forward to it. Who knows, I may have liked it.
See, now this is what I'm talking about...having an open mind. I don't really care is someone doesn't want to be a SWO, but they better know why. Or, if you want to flip it around, I think someone should have a good idea on why they want to be an aviator or go to the Academy other than it sounds like a cool thing to do. I know it probably looks like I'm being a hardass on this guy, and maybe I am. But if he gets in the Academy and is dead set on being happy only if he gets aviation, then we're just gonna have another bitter SWO in the fleet. So, if you're not ok with getting selected for SWO, then don't go to the Academy or go through NROTC. Get your degree and get a commission through OCS and have your aviation slot guaranteed. This is unless you go Marine option via NROTC and you have a guaranteed flight slot.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
luckechance:
Doesn't being commissioned by the USMMA or any MMR program require you to maintain employment in your license field for seven years after commissioning? I thought that was the basis of the entire program. How does one remedy that with law school?

I assume one would have to go into the field of maritime law.

Fut.Midn, Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. Just know that getting into the USNA is no cake walk, as I have found out through my experiences with the application process. And have an open mind about the different jobs available. I always thought along the lines of "SNA or bust" but as I learn more about the different jobs in the Navy, I realize I will be happy no matter what I do, with maybe the exception of being on a submarine. I would suggest that when the time comes you put in applications for NROTC, USNA, and the USMMA. It's nice to have a choice of where you want to go to school.:)

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
It seems like keeping an open mind is key with any military service... Even with set contracts, be they Navy, USMC, or whatever, there are factors that can change your career path in an instant. Its good to set goals, and to know what you want, but you have to go in knowing that something could happen that might land you in a position other than what you had planned. My buddy at TBS had an air contract, and lost it due to an eye injury (now IOC bound). Some other guy had his femur broken during pugil sticks, and had to get pins put in, resulting in an NPQ. Then there is always the possibility of attriting from school. I'm sure there are many conditions, not just medically-based that can result in similar outcomes. These things are rare, but just go to illustrate that even a guarunteed contract can go away. That in mind, know what you want, and do everything you can do get there. Listen to these experienced guys offering advice (not referring to myself, in terms of experience), both positive and critical, and take the stuff that works for you. As for the ribbing, try and roll with it. Its just an internet forum.