• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot from USNA

Taz24th

Proud member of Class 903
Futmidshipman,

Coming from someone that's about to commission this May, you have to look at the big picture of the Navy. You’re an officer first, serving your country as a leader of sailor and marines. That is your job in the United States Navy, and that is what you should strive for first my friend. I did your same thing in high school, reading everything I could on naval aviation and ways to commission into the navy. I admire your enthusiasm, but think about just getting in a commissioning program (USNA, NROTC, PLC, etc...) first. Do the best you can in your selected major and use your summer cruises (USNA, NROTC) to decide want you want to do in the Navy. CORTRAMID is your best ticket to seeing everything that the Navy and Marine Corps have to offer as far as service selection. This occurs generally right after your freshman year with the battalion (Academy grads I know yours is a little different). Before I was found physically qualified for flight I took a submarine cruise for my 2/C cruise (going into junior year) to checkout alternate options. Last piece advice I could give you is that it will always come down to the "needs of the Navy", so have a 2nd and 3rd option ready and do not be too disappointed if you do not get your first choice. Information on NROTC programs can be found at NETC's website. Good luck there, and we'll see ya in the fleet soon enough. <Side note> Being able to have a thick skin and take some ribbing is just the nature of naval aviation. Had a couple buddies on my final summer cruise named "*%#@ Holster" and "&*^ Dumpster" just because they could be. Don't take anything to heart or too offensively. Good luck little man. :)

-Taz24th

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
If I cannot become a Pilot then I wish to become a lawyer. Anyone have any info for this? thanks for any help

Jet pilot...lawyer...doctor...it's all real easy to do.

You just wish for it...and it happens.

My advice...
well2.gif

And don't forget "It's all about the fun"...and it's easy.

fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
Driving a ship or operationg the gun system on teh ship doesnt sound like fun to me. I know that Bubba didn't exactly say that aviation is the easiest to get into but if they recieve the most midshipmen then I would think that it is the easiest.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Brett327 said:
This thread makes me want to tear my teeth out. :eek:
What happened to God-speak? ;)

Future Mid: As a fellow wannabe, I suggest you stop trying to work with this thread, it will just confuse you. Stick around, do a few (comprehensive)searches, and listen in for a bit.

Best of luck and Happy Posting,

Eddie

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
I could be nice or mean. I choose...both!

OK, all better now. I'm at the Academy and have a pilot slot. I got it by working for it. This year there were about 275 pilot slots. About 1k cats graduate. That's more than any other community (warfare speciality). Yes, more people will be pilots than SWOs, but that doesn't mean its easier. Competition is keen here and starts before you even get in. Some of those SWOs wanted pilot and because of physical or academic (or conduct, etc. for that matter) didn't get it. Some wanted SWO off the bat and got it. If there was a formula for getting an appointment to USNA, I'd say its 4-year varsity athletic participation, leadership positions, AP classes, 1350+ SAT, Eagle Scout, and applying for a NROTC scholarship to prove you are dead-set on a military career. They don't want to hear about people that will either go to USNA or Berkley. Also, a big part of impressing anybody who doesn't know you is to be well spoken. In written form, that means taking the time to review what you typed. I'm afraid people are stomping on you here because they don't realize that you are using the forum like instant messenger. It's a generation thing. PM me if you have any questions.

BTW, nothing pushed me to get in here like the people who said I wouldn't make it.

Attachments

• backtotherepost.jpe
    backtotherepost.jpe
    62.9 KB · Views: 69

Rebel652

pilot
Also if you have the time and money try to get your Pilots License. I think having that helped me get my pilot's slot since I didn't have the best grades(also they didn't have to waste money on IFS for me) - I'm about middle of the class.

Service Assignment is tomorrow too. Talked to the detailers today and they are all pushing the early class dates like June and July.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Hey not to bag on everyone here, but some people are acting childish on here with some of the reply's. Help the kid out and set a good example as officers rather than making fools out of yourselves...

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

BurrghGuy- You were right, I meant that I would not like to be working on/in the ship but rather be flying around it.
SteveWilkins- I have done some research on SWO so I was not just guessing. Also you are not being too hard on me, I understand and don't take offense to any of it. There are things I would rather do in the Navy besides SWO but if that is what it comes down to I will accept it.
I am not quite sure I get the whole USMMA thing. I went to their website and looks it it. Would I still be able to transfer to the Navy or Marine Corps?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Sorta...

It wouldn't be a transfer. You'd just get commissioned as a Naval or Marine Officer.
If in the end at USMMA, you decide so, you can get a job in the civilian sector without incurring any obligation.

There's more details to it than that, and I'm sure one of the KP grads will pipe up...

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
I'd definitely determine why exactly you want USNA. It'll help you in the application process or help you decide to go elsewhere. The PLC/ROTC route is great. Real college with girls plus a flight slot.

The USMMA guys graduate as reservists with reserve commitment then go work in the maritime field. Some guys go to grad school, some request to go active duty, either restricted and unrestricted lines, and some end up working on tankers or cruise ships. A friend did that and now works half the year with a good deal of bank.

I'll take going to work in a flight suit. Chics know who maverick is. Who was on the love boat anyway?

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

I really don't understand the whole restricted/unrestricted line thing. Can someone please further explain it for me. What do you think would look better on a application CAP or AFJROTC because they are the only 2 programs within reasonable travel distance from me.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
I really don't understand the whole restricted/unrestricted line thing. Can someone please further explain it for me.

The Navy breaks their officers into three categories: Unrestricted Line Officers, Restricted Line Officers, and Staff Corps officers.

Generally, Line Officers carry out the mission of the Navy: Sea Power (If anyone recites the gouge from OCS, you're a homo). This applies to both the Restricted and Unrestricted Line officers. Staff Corps officers are in a supporting role.

Unrestricted Line Officers are eligible for command, where as restricted line and Staff corps officers are not.

Also, unrestricted line officers are not restricted in the billets they can hold. I was an Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer (restricted). I could only hold billets in the maintenance department, whereas the unrestricted pilots/NFOs could hold billets in Maintenance, saftey, admin or OPS.

I am currently a staff corps officer. I manage construction contracts in the middle of the fvcking desert. Needless to say, I contribute nothing to sea power :)

USNA and NROTC are designed to produce unrestricted line officers (SWO, Sub, Surface Nuke, NFO, Pilot, EOD or SEAL). You will not be able to select a Staff Corps or restricted line designator unless you're NPQ, or have some kneepads and really know how to use them.

Clear as mud? Good.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Future, you are asking some good questions, but you are in no way at a stage where you need to worry about a lot of this stuff. You are a sophmore in highschool. You say that you are determined to go to USNA. If that is true you need to be damn sure that you know why it is you want to go and "to be a pilot" will not be the answer that gets you through. A lot of use have dreamed of flying, and a lot of us probably went to USNA for that reason, but if not before, then when you get there you need to fine something out about yourself and what you believe that keeps you there. If not you will be in the several hundred that start and never finish. You also need to realize that even tho aviation selects more mids than any other community our of the academy, overall there are MANY more midshipmen that select (or are selected) something other than pilot. (4 to 1 odds pilot to something else.) Also, a lot can happen even if you get selected for USNA. Maybe you are not medically qualified. Maybe you get selected NFO, SWO, etc instead of pilot. Maybe you get to flight school and attrite (not uncommon) and you are given the choice to either transition to another community or are presented with a big bill for your obligated USNA active duty service. Even if you get aviation, your odds of getting jets are no higher than props, and helos and may be worse! You are in a postition to make a decision. Look at what you want and what you believe in and make the right decision for you. Keep asking questions, but actually LISTEN to the answers. Don't just take what you want to hear from what these people are telling you.

I know this is a rant, but I have to close with something for lonestar. After reading your post, I read your bio. Watch yourself....you are in no postition to tell people how to act like officers, and you have no idea who you are talking to on this sight or who you might run into if lucky enough to get into aviation. Keep that in mind.