• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot from USNA

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
luckechance:
Doesn't being commissioned by the USMMA or any MMR program require you to maintain employment in your license field for seven years after commissioning? I thought that was the basis of the entire program. How does one remedy that with law school?

vanity

Zoomie
I was told to graduate the USMMA you had to learn how to drive one of those large oil tankers. So I pulled my app out for that.

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

So basically you are saying that the USNA isn't the best route to take for me?
What do most USNA grads wind up being an officer in, besides SWO? I am not quite sure exactly what I want to do yet that is why I ask. Pilot seemed desirable to me but after hearing how hard it is to obtain I would like to keep my options open. Also I thouhg I would be a good lawyer due to ability to debate. All in all I am an like most other teenagers who doesn't know what they want to do. All I know is that I want to do something in the military specifically the USNA then probably the Marines.
Whats the whole MM thing anyway? CAnI go and join the Navy or Marines after i graduate from USMMA?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
What do most USNA grads wind up being an officer in, besides SWO? I am not quite sure exactly what I want to do yet that is why I ask. Pilot seemed desirable to me but after hearing how hard it is to obtain I would like to keep my options open. Also I thouhg I would be a good lawyer due to ability to debate. All in all I am an like most other teenagers who doesn't know what they want to do. All I know is that I want to do something in the military specifically the USNA then probably the Marines.

USNA graduates more aviators (SNFO's and SNA's combined) than SWO's... at least it has the past couple of years.

I'd definitely say keep your options open. Coming out of USNA, you can go SWO, Nuke SWO, Subs, SNA, SNFO, Marine SNFO, Marine SNA, Marine Ground, SEALs or EOD.

I had orders to a DDG before I was picked up for an NFO billet.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
TheBubba said:
I'd definitely say keep your options open. Coming out of USNA, you can go SWO, Nuke SWO, Subs, SNA, SNFO, Marine SNFO, Marine SNA, Marine Ground, SEALs or EOD.

You can also interservice transfer. If you are NPQ you can go into the RL/Staff communities. I believe there is program where you can go straight to med school right out of the Academy also.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
What do most USNA grads wind up being an officer in, besides SWO?
Why do you want to go to the Naval Academy and why don't you want to be a SWO?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
You can also interservice transfer. If you are NPQ you can go into the RL/Staff communities. I believe there is program where you can go straight to med school right out of the Academy also.
Being NPQ'd and picking up a RL/Staff designator would be a redesignation. An interservice transfer would be if you transfered to one of the other services.

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

Okay well Bubba and HH-60H you are telling me that it is pretty easy to get a aviation billet(i guess that is like a job) out of the USNA but many of other people are telling me it is extremely difficult. I am not sure which info is right. I would like to believe Bubba and HH-60H.
I am guessing a SNA is a pilot?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
HH-60H said:
I believe there is program where you can go straight to med school right out of the Academy also.

Yeah, there is. A kid in my Co and a couple others I know did.

Steve... wouldn't actually be a redesignation (in most cases) b/c the mid's initial service selection would be to the specific RL/Staff community. There are some cases where it is a re-des, as the mid has orders to P-cola or USS Whatever and then finds about about being NPQ'd.

To fut.midhipman: Yes, SNA is a Student Naval Aviator (student pilot). And most people who want pilot out of USNA get it. The caviot: you gotta work for it. I wanted pilot. I had sucky grades. I got SWO, then was offered NFO. My roommate at USNA wanted pilot. He worked his tail off. He got pilot.

You can get it, you just gotta be willing to work. If you want to know more about life at USNA, shoot me a PM.

Oh, and about NJ schools... Ex. 7A... Trenton Central High, class of 2000... USNA class of 2005. Don't count yourself out just cuz you hail from NJ, the land of sh!tty schools. It can be done.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
Okay well Bubba and HH-60H you are telling me that it is pretty easy to get a aviation billet(i guess that is like a job) out of the USNA
That's not what they said.

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

I am not really sure why I want to go to the USNA so badly. I can't explain it really. SWO doesn't really interest me at all.
Also out of all those choices that you listed to me Bubba do I get to pick which I want or do they say your doing this or do I get like to pick out of liek 3 of them?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Being NPQ'd and picking up a RL/Staff designator would be a redesignation. An interservice transfer would be if you transfered to one of the other services.

Yes, I know, or was that for fut.midshipman's benefit?

Actually, you can be NPQ for URL straight out of the Academy and not have to redesignate.