• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot from USNA

fut.MIDSHIPMAN

You talk about props when you listed the different types of pilot. What is that? I actually wouldnt mind helos, as long as its a apache or comanche attack helichopper not like a transport helo. NFO doesn't sound bad either i would probably take that if I was offered. Can a NFO be given a billet to become a pilot?
What officer did I tell how to act to? I understand that I shouldn't show any disrespect to any of theses officers here and don't plan too.
thanks

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
You talk about props when you listed the different types of pilot. What is that? I actually wouldnt mind helos, as long as its a apache or comanche attack helichopper not like a transport helo. NFO doesn't sound bad either i would probably take that if I was offered. Can a NFO be given a billet to become a pilot?
What officer did I tell how to act to? I understand that I shouldn't show any disrespect to any of theses officers here and don't plan too.
thanks

OK, here is some basic data for you on what the Navy/USMC currently flies and what you may be able to expect in the next 5-10 years or so. This is off the top of my head and only includes the big communities (so no flames on what I forget from my fellow AW compatriots). With this info, you can google to your hearts content:

Jets (USN):
F/A-18C Hornets (transitioning to F-35C JSF ~2012)
F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet
EA-6B Prowler (transitioning to EA-18G ~2010)

Jets (USMC):
F/A-18C/D Hornets
AV-8B Harrier (transitioning to F-35B JSF ~2015)
EA-6B Prowler (transitioning to ??? ~2015)

Props (USN):
E-2C Hawkeye (Carrier based)
C-2 COD (Carrier based)
P-3C Orion (transitioning to MMA Boeing 737 derivative in the future)

Props (USMC):
C-130 Hercules

Helos (USN):
CH-60S
SH-60R

Helos (USMC)
AH-1 Cobra (only true attack helo in USN/USMC service)
V-22
CH-53E

Naval Flight Officers currently fly in F/A-18F, EA-6B, E-2C, and P-3C platforms. USMC NFO's are in the F/A-18D and EA-6B platforms.

There are no Apache or Comanche's in the Navy. They are pure Army platforms.

As for your second question, there is an NFO to Pilot transition program bt we are talking less than 10 people per a year and you are really only eligible after your first fleet tour (3-4 years after wings, 5-6 years after commissioning).

Like other's here have stated, flying is only one small part of being a Naval Officer. Admittedly, it is a fun part and will take the majority of your efforts initially but you will be a Naval Officer first and an Aviator/NFO/SWO/SEAL/Submariner second.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
SteveG75 said:
OK, here is some basic data for you on what the Navy/USMC currently flies and what you may be able to expect in the next 5-10 years or so. This is off the top of my head and only includes the big communities (so no flames on what I forget from my fellow AW compatriots). With this info, you can google to your hearts content:

Jets (USN):
F/A-18C Hornets (transitioning to F-35C JSF ~2012)
F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet
EA-6B Prowler (transitioning to EA-18G ~2010)

Jets (USMC):
F/A-18C/D Hornets
AV-8B Harrier (transitioning to F-35B JSF ~2015)
EA-6B Prowler (transitioning to ??? ~2015)

Props (USN):
E-2C Hawkeye (Carrier based)
C-2 COD (Carrier based)
P-3C Orion (transitioning to MMA Boeing 737 derivative in the future)

Props (USMC):
C-130 Hercules

Helos (USN):
CH-60S
SH-60R

Helos (USMC)
V-22
CH-53E

Naval Flight Officers currently fly in F/A-18F, EA-6B, E-2C, and P-3C platforms. USMC NFO's are in the F/A-18D and EA-6B platforms.

Steve, good list. To add, The Navy also flies the E-6B Mercury (I think its a modified Boeing 737).

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Helos (USN):
CH-60S
SH-60R

Helos (USMC)
V-22
CH-53E

There are no Apache or Comanche's in the Navy. They are pure Army platforms.

And the Comanche isn't coming along anymore.

MH-60S and MH-60R. True to it's MULTIMISSION capabilities.

And to emphasize a previous point...keep an open mind and focus on the SERVICE aspect of being an aviator...whether it's haulin' the fleet's $hit or dropping serious firepower abroad...I promise it'll be better that way.

SteveG75 said:
Like other's here have stated, flying is only one small part of being a Naval Officer. Admittedly, it is a fun part and will take the majority of your efforts initially but you will be a Naval Officer first and an Aviator/NFO/SWO/SEAL/Submariner second.

Have to disagree...An officer simply is...whether it's Naval, Army, Marine, etc...It's more of a character trait and holds you accountable whether on or off duty to uphold the character of an Officer.

IMHO, you'll be a Aviator/NFO/SWO/SEAL/Bubblehead First and an officer always...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
You talk about props when you listed the different types of pilot. What is that? I actually wouldnt mind helos, as long as its a apache or Comanche attack helichopper not like a transport helo. NFO doesn't sound bad either i would probably take that if I was offered. Can a NFO be given a billet to become a pilot?
thanks
Ughh! Two points:

1. One would think that you would had done at least a rudimentary review of what the Navy does and what aircraft it flies before committing yourself to the USNA, no? Apache? Comanche???

2. Reading comprehension - try it on for size.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm assuming HH is asking a sarcastic question to make a point (of which I agree). ;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
thanks

Yeah..I'd like pilot too,it sounds fun. But then again...I wouldn't mind helo if it was airwolf. Transports suck. NFO doesn't sound too bad either. You know I guess I'd do that if I had to...blah, blah, blah

Read what you write.
Do you still fail to see why people are attacking your posts yet?

raiders%20troll%20doll.jpg

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
HH-60H said:
The S in SH-60F and SH-60B is for their Single Mission capabilities.

... Because in the -60B we only have two primary missions and five secondary missions (that NATOPS lists).

ghost

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Do "transports" still suck if you're transporting the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, and the next day you're "forced" to go to Japan, then to Australia? I guess that all sucks, if you don't find an air-to-air engagement along the way.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Lonestar155 said:
Hey not to bag on everyone here, but some people are acting childish on here with some of the reply's. Help the kid out and set a good example as officers rather than making fools out of yourselves...

Might want to take a good look in the mirror big guy. Of all people on this site to give advice on naval aviation, you're pretty much not on the list.

First impressions mean alot, even on the net. Maybe it's more important because we can't really see who we are talking to. So coming across as arrogant or a know it all, constant grammer mistakes (sometimes says lazy) doesn't help anyone's case. I will say that when I was in high school, I didn't know much about anything but knew I didn't want to serve in the Army or Marines, didn't want to drive a ship, fly a desk but did want to fly airplanes. Never thought I'd fly those crappy "transport" planes off the decks of carriers but it has been fun none the less. Keep your eyes open, ears ready and learn from those in the know on this site. That is all.