• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more DCOIC?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Yyyyyyep. They probably sent you to a leadership class before your knife-and-fork school because DCOIC didn't count for that 5 year leadership continuum (strange as that policy sounds). The day after you finish knife-and-fork school you were delinquent for leadership training. You probably ended up at intermediate leadership of all choices because that was all that was available anytime soon and not too far away.

Yup, that was me too. Shortly after DCOIC I popped on the NOSCs hitlist as delinquent on my RILC training. I was thinking the same thing, "Why was I in this class with mostly O3-O4s?"

BarryD

Contributor
There is LDOs in the reserves? Had no idea.
You post, sir, said “new officers”, and you seemed to be speaking to the entirety of officers. To my knowledge, yes there are LDOs in the reserve sir, though we may be thinking of a different component.
V/r

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Sending everyone through OCS would water down OCS too. If all of the staff corps communities had to send their folks through there then they are going to have some say as to how it was run. When they combined AOCS with OCS in 1994, the new program was a lot less harsh than AOCS had been.

Likewise, the weeks of yelling and remedial PT for folding your socks the wrong way would be a dubious benefit for staff corps officers. As it is, it's a little odd that active component supply officers have to go through OCS but the AC docs, nurses, JAGs, chaplains, etc. do not.

Odd that SUPPOs are included or odd that the rest of Staff community is excluded? I think if you're going AC then you should complete OCS regardless of designator.

bluemarlin04

I meant all new line officers go through OCS.

But I doubt active duty would allow it or want the reserves coming through.

And yea, I never understood why supply was the only staff corps to go through.

Goodfou

Why cant we send new officers to OCS? Forget ODS. Everyone goes through OCS unless they went through ROTC or the Academy. What is the issue with it? Seems like it would be excellent training for everyone.

Let’s not get carried away. The average age of DCOs is much higher than OCS. In fact, there were a number in their 50s in my class-all highly successful doctors wanting to serve their country. The Navy needs quality doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc.,,and you would lose most, if not all, of them if you pigeon whole everyone into OCS. 12 weeks is a bit overkill to teach the basics of being a Naval Officer. Notice, I did not say “leadership.” OCS is focused in turning college students into Naval Officers. DCOs are all well beyond college and highly successful in their respective professions. In my opinion, they don’t need the first phase (phase and a half) of OCS.

bluemarlin04

DCOs are all well beyond college and highly successful in their respective professions. In my opinion, they don’t need the first phase (phase and a half) of OCS.

If you read, I revised and said Line Officers. Staff should stay in ODS.

This statement is the absolute wrong approach. Being sucessful as a civilian =\= being a sucessful Naval Officer.

What year did you go through OCS for you to think that is how OCS is?

Goodfou

If you read, I revised and said Line Officers. Staff should stay in ODS.

This statement is the absolute wrong approach. Being sucessful as a civilian =\= being a sucessful Naval Officer.

What year did you go through OCS for you to think that is how OCS is?

You know very well I didn’t go through OCS. That is like me asking you what year you went through ODS or DCOIC? You don’t have to go through OCS to read up on what the major themes are of each phase. But since you revised to “line” Os, I have to rethink my post. I can understand your argument to that. I’m kind of indifferent to that idea. Would change the talent pool going into the reserves and wouldn’t draw the same “talent” that the DCO program currently draws though.

bluemarlin04

How would I know you didnt go through OCS?

Would it actually change the talent pool? Hard to say. It is only 12 weeks.

The issue I have is that just because you are a sucessful civilian doesn't mean you have the required skills to suceed as an officer. Which is why I brought up the 2 DCOs getting thrown out of NIOBC for failing their exams and opintel briefs.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
How would I know you didnt go through OCS?

Would it actually change the talent pool? Hard to say. It is only 12 weeks.

The issue I have is that just because you are a sucessful civilian doesn't mean you have the required skills to suceed as an officer. Which is why I brought up the 2 DCOs getting thrown out of NIOBC for failing their exams and opintel briefs.
Has there never been an AC intel officer that failed NIOBC?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Of course there has.

But these two reservists told the staff that they’re senior engineers in the civilian sector and don’t have to be in NIOBC if they don’t want too.

Pissed off the cadre and they were gone
That’s pitiful.

It’s really a second job. If you aren’t willing to do some self-reflection (on your own gaps & limitations) and self-study, it will show.

I watch long, crappy documentaries (like the Carrier one with then-CAPT “Twig” Branch) and read Wikipedia (and Intellipedia when I have access) to refresh my knowledge on platforms and maritime ops. I skim/read RealClearDefense, War is Boring, and other blah defense media. Make no mistake, this sh*t is hella boring (hence the name) but it’s professional development.

It kind of hurts inside whenever one of my shipmates, for example, gives a platform brief on the DDG-51 class and didn’t know what the 5” deck gun was on the bow of the ship (they thought it was for missiles). I am sure they have great other skills - but that isn’t this job. My opinion is probably unpopular. Also, everyone has to start somewhere in learning a new field. Not trying to disparage my shipmates - I am far from perfect - but also it doesn’t help to varnish over the hard truths if we want to improve our community.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

“Line” includes IWC, PAO, AEDO/AMDO, EDO, FAO, Nuke, HR, Reserve Recruiting, and Strategic Sealift.

Do you mean line or URL?
No. I mean line.

FAO requires coming from URL. And all of those others attend OCS for AD except HR cause that requires a lateral xfer just like FAO on active duty.