• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff29

Science Project
Give me a Break!

Marine OCS: 10 weeks (ofttimes 5 weeks one summer, go home, 5 weeks the next summer).
Navy OCS: 13 weeks (no going home halfway through to recover from the crud, shin spints, fatigue, and Gunny Jones).
Please explain to me how my Navy OCS experience was somehow inferior.

On lateral transfers going to TBS: It seems that it would be career suicide not to go. How many non-TBS guys would make Major?

Finally, if they guarantee 18's, they might as well say 18's Miramar. I'll take that one!

thumper

I think TBS should be required for NAVY exchange pilots because it would give the exchange pilots a better idea of the Big Picture of Marine Corps aviation. If you are going to be flying a Cobra in support of Marines on the ground, you better have a firm understanding of infantry operations (just my opinion).

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
(ofttimes 5 weeks one summer, go home, 5 weeks the next summer).

Those are 6 week sessions. Probably the most difficult thing I've done my whole life was get on that airplane and go BACK for that second six week session.

AprilFool

Devo said:
Has anyone heard projections for when and how many navy jet students will be transitioned to Marine Hornets? Will the transfer slots be mandatory like the helo slots are?
From a source guaranteed to know . . . they're talking about only a dozen Navy strike guys to switch to Jarhead. Additionally, the source claims that they won't force anyone into it. Finally, on the TBS thing - phrogdriver has got it right . . . TBS for jet guys? Stupid. Imagine if the tables were turned and marines were forced in the Navy and had to go to a six month seamanship course that was widely regarded to be a kick in the balls w/o much direct effect on their job? Think about it.

mat

Any details on who and how to be chosen? I am about 1/3 of the way through phase 2 at NASK. I spoke with the senior Marine in my squadron and said something about a memo from MARADMIN in a couple weeks would have details. I'm interested, I hope I don't offend any Marines. Since I've already gotten a Navy jet slot I wouldn't take a Marine slot (if anything I took one from the Navy pool).

35_NSS

AprilFool said:
From a source guaranteed to know . . . they're talking about only a dozen Navy strike guys to switch to Jarhead. Additionally, the source claims that they won't force anyone into it. Finally, on the TBS thing - phrogdriver has got it right . . . TBS for jet guys? Stupid. Imagine if the tables were turned and marines were forced in the Navy and had to go to a six month seamanship course that was widely regarded to be a kick in the balls w/o much direct effect on their job? Think about it.

So if the tables were turned and Marines were forced in the Navy would they have to gain 30 lbs, grow their hair long, and only run 1.5 miles a year??

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
35 NSS, what is your deal? Did some Navy guy run over your puppy or something? People are (at least were) trying to ask legit questions on here and all you can do is bash the Navy. I understand if you dislike us or whatever, but keep that trash to yourself.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I know your sick of the *****ing, but these guys in-between OCS and TBS are the ones that are gonna carry some squids pack when he starts suckin wind. I would be pissed if I was them too. At least if you go to TBS, you’ll learn that there is more to life than “My Jet Slot.”

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny how Marines believe they have a monopoly on physical fitness. I know "squids" that would run Marines into the ground.

wilsonator

okay enough already, i see only one way to settle this once and for all. some good old-fashioned KY wrestling. :tongue2_1

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
1st, Mike W, SEALS are "squids." They're in the Navy, right? They get enough good press; they don't need my help. A lot of them have fallen into the trap of believing their own news releases.

I'm not going to say that Marines have the monopoly on physical fitness, however, I will say that the organization does enforce some uniform standards. While a squid in great shape is something of an exception to the norm, most Marines are at least fairly athletic. And yes, in Pensacola, a failing PFT will get you an adverse fitrep as well as almost certain attrition and possibly separation.

It also sounds as if the calls for a Marine draft of Navy may have been premature. It's been toned down a bit from "get ready for it to happen within the next couple of wingings," to "it's awaiting decision from the Commandant, etc."

Status
Not open for further replies.