• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Today's applicants are 1 1/2 to 5 years from the fleet. Opening the floodgates that far upstream will have no impact for a long time. This is a short term fix for manning, which is why they're doing this stop-gap measure rather than something I'd prefer, like increasing the bonus for re-upping.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
phrogdriver said:
Word is that a number of navy strike guys will be offered an interservice transfer, AND F/A-18s. They will be Marine Lts--TBS TBD. Navy helo students will have cobras and Marine 53s on their selection cards. Some will seek greatness, but others will have greatness thrust upon them, i.e. some will volunteer, others will be in for a big surprise. The helo bubbas will remain squid ENSs and JGs, and return to the Navy in 4 years.

The Navy has too many students and the Marines too few--somebody decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Our long-term supply of rocks is also TBD. We have some many fingers in so many dikes we're going to have to start using our toes.

This is supposed to happen soon, as in the next few months.

This is the same thing I heard from different sources. May cause some heartburn with some of the Marines but I think it is a good idea. Navy and Marine fixed wing guys have been working together for a long time, no surprise that the helo squadrons will move the same way. The only buzzword as big as "Transformation" right now is "Inter-operability".

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Well I'm going through TBS right now (done in a few weeks thank god!!). I think there are some good and bad points to this. If it's going to take Jet slots away from eligable Marine pilots I straight up thinks thats jacked. If its just to aleviate the pressure until these pilots get through training and can take over for the Navy pilots..... that makes perfect sense to me. But ....... they GOTTA go through TBS or at least a crunched down version of it .... maybe the Warrent Officer course as it is 3 months instead of 6 months.

TBS helps the air guys to understand and KNOW what the ground guys are going through, how they think, etc ... And since the bulk of our missions are to support those grunts on the ground ..... you have to have that understanding. Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

Spin

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
But if it is going to take Helo slots away from eligible Marine pilots, thats OK? Just curious....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spin said:
Well I'm going through TBS right now (done in a few weeks thank god!!). I think there are some good and bad points to this. If it's going to take Jet slots away from eligable Marine pilots I straight up thinks thats jacked. If its just to aleviate the pressure until these pilots get through training and can take over for the Navy pilots..... that makes perfect sense to me. But ....... they GOTTA go through TBS or at least a crunched down version of it .... maybe the Warrent Officer course as it is 3 months instead of 6 months.

Not sure who these eligible pilots are, because most of the Marines here seem to want C-130s.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
As far as rejecting the offer, for the helo guys it'll be as if you're saying "no" to SH-60s. You can turn in your wings, if you want, but that's probably not a good move. The gouge we got passed was that the Navy strike guys will be offered guaranteed F-18s if they transfer. I bet there will be some POed Marines flying Harriers as a result.

The TBS thing is a little overblown. I definitely wouldn't send boots to the warrant's course. That class is designed for experienced former staff NCOs, not boot officers. A 23 year old lieutenant would be eaten alive there.

Perhaps I'm showing a little prejudice here, but TBS is definitely more applicable to the helo side, vice the jet. The jet applicablility of TBS is more of a zen, "every marine a rifleman" thing, than practical application. How many of you actually remember your nine-line brief from TBS? Helos interact with a grunts daily, so there's more of a direct application. However, it looks as if the jet guys will be true interservice transfers, which I think will likely go to TBS. The helo guys will remain LTJGs, so probably won't. Make sense? Thought so.

How 'bout they just increase the Marine helo bonus? Any friends in high places, RumorBuster?

Jester

pilot
If this Navy to Marine transition goes through when is it supposed to start? Within the next year, next few months?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
30 navy helo drivers FY'04
30 navy helo drivers FY'05

48 mos tour then back to the navy, no TBS. Navy guys will be allowed to add the marine slots to their dream sheet. But if 30 dudes do not want it, 30 slots will still be filled

Devo

Marine SNA
Has anyone heard projections for when and how many navy jet students will be transitioned to Marine Hornets? Will the transfer slots be mandatory like the helo slots are?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
i can only propagate rumors, so here I go

i guess they'll say "you have jet grades but got helos, unless you wanna transition to the marines and then you can fly hornets. which will it be?"

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The helo gouge was passed by the COs of the HTs on Friday, so that's as official as it gets.

As far as the jet transitions go, I'm guessing they'll be offering those to guys nearing the end of strike. They're not going to say to a new primary grad, "You can go jets, but you have to switch to the Corps." But, I could be wrong.

FYs actually end Sept 30. The new one starts 1 Oct.

BTW Rick James, there are exceptions, but most Marines going jets want F-18s. A good buddy of mine has spent most of his AV8B career trying unsuccessfully to convert to F-18s. Contradictions from jet SNAs are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.