• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalebite

Rumor and others,
I can't read the tea leaves, would this be a good, bad, or indifferent thing for those looking to get into the Marines and fly? Would this turn the Navy's lack of need for people and pilots to the Marines?

wilsonator

I am really concerned about the attitude towards navy guys who would be thinking about making or being forced to make the switch to remain flying. Give us a break. I mean I hate the Air Force but if that's the only way I could fly jets, then sign me up for a powder puff outfit and some lipstick. :tongue2_1

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Curious to know how this will affect bonuses. Remember that Navy helos, Navy jets, and Marine Jets all get a $25 per year flight bonus - everybody but Marine helos.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
If you know anything about the Navy/Marine Corps, then you know that they are firmly based on tradition. Instead of worrying if some Navy dude is going to have to go through TBS or not, we should be thinking about how this will benefit everyone as a joint service. I don't have ANY gouge on this, but I can almost assure you that if a Navy guy is going to transfer over, he/she would go through TBS, I really don't see the brass on either side having it any other way.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
$25K per year.

If the Navy pilot does an interservice transfer to become a Marine, I would expect TBS. If the Navy pilot is doing an exchange tour with the Marines, I would not expect TBS. We had a Navy intel officer assigned to our squadron and he never went to TBS.

thumper

I think TBS should be a requirement even for exchange pilots. The $25k re-up should be across the board as well; either all pilots get it or none do.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
well, the news I heard of Thursday was that there were 12 slots open for the lateral transfer, and as of right now, that's exactly what they are. No exchange tour like what is going on in helo land. Even though that would be more enticing to us down here.

Anyways, the word is, transfer over, you start in the next TS class then after wings, off to Quantico for TBS

35_NSS

Punk said:
well, the news I heard of Thursday was that there were 12 slots open for the lateral transfer, and as of right now, that's exactly what they are. No exchange tour like what is going on in helo land. Even though that would be more enticing to us down here.

Anyways, the word is, transfer over, you start in the next TS class then after wings, off to Quantico for TBS

LOL, off to Quantico, you squids better pack a flash light and a lunch box cause its gonna be long 6 months. Quantico aint to Navy training, oh yeah, bring an e-tool too

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Wow,
Its like a feeding freeeennnnnzzzyyy here.

Before everyone gets all freaked out chill!!! If you are not close to fininshing atleast primary, then you dont need to worry about this. So all you OCS, Academy, ROTC and TBS'ers RELAX. This isnt affecting you. They are looking for guys for this and next fiscal year. That means guys that were commisioned in 02 or maybe 03. So, if you are not one of those affected, please dont clog up this thread. Those of us that are being effected want to read posts with a little bit of relevance. So, once again if your not being affected by this (No, we arent taking your future slots) please feel free to read but dont clog up this thread with "What if in 2006 and beyond questions".

Thanks alot for your help.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
35_NSS said:
LOL, off to Quantico, you squids better pack a flash light and a lunch box cause its gonna be long 6 months. Quantico aint to Navy training, oh yeah, bring an e-tool too

Don't worry buddy, I'll wait my 4 more months to start.

Kingsville is only starting ONE more Navy TS guy this fiscal year (they only will wing one more Navy jet guy in fiscal year '05 from what they already have in training). Me and the rest of my contempories will not start till October of this year and beyond so that we will not wing until FY '06.

Devo

Marine SNA
I do not have a problem with this idea in general. If the Marine Corps needs more jet guys that bad, I would rather see them fix the problem this way rather than lowering the NSS standard and having a huge increase in attrites (like what happened in K-rock last year). The most important thing is when our Marines on the deck are getting shot at, that we are there for them to smoke Ali al Jihad from above. My one concern is more of a selfish one. I would be frustrated if when I finally wing, there are no Hornet slots available because they where all taken up by this transfer or whatever you want to call it. If you want to make 12 Navy guys into Marines, fine. But I think they should be eligible for any jet job in the Corps and that the transfers should be spread out so they don't shock the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.