• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Fly Navy said:
Not to be picky, but Marine pilots are Naval Aviators, just like Navy pilots are.
No doubt! But you see my point and and what's happened to flight contracts in the past right?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMCBebop said:
No doubt! But you see my point and and what's happened to flight contracts in the past right?

If he had the contract, that certainly does suck. But it also sucks when the Navy does stupid things, like a "bottom blow" on the flight training pipelines. But again, as we all know in this profession, "needs of the Navy/Marines". Nothing is "yours".

It is certainly a messed up situation between the two services though. Want to know the best part? In a couple years they're both going to be going "OH ****!"

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I wish a Marine Ground pounder was around so we could ask his point of view.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
chubbs said:
Bigworm can you help me off my soapbox? I’m just a squid so I’m sucking wind trying to get down.

Phrogdriver gave a good explanation, so I can’t beat that one. With this thread, you need to read between the lines a little. There is a lot of trash talking (inherent in aviator lingo), which is just fun and games, and then some of the serious talk. I wouldn’t get so wrapped around all the “hot dog talk.”

If the Navy guy transfers to the Marines, he is going to learn a lot, TBS gives you a good perspective on everything from the ground supply to the Arty. But take a look at the trash talk, and if you think the aviators are a little “Oooraahed out,” wait till you meet the ground pounders, they will give no mercy! The Navy guy would be under the microscope from day one, and have to step up to the plate real quick. The aviators catch a lot of flak from the ground side, which would only be magnified coming from the Navy.

From a Major that I went on a cross country with, he flew the Deltas, and said he really wasn’t prepared for the FAC-A (forward air controller in the air) mission. He talked a lot about how you own the battle field, and coordinate with arty to mark the target with a white phosphorous round, and then back it up with a rocket shot from the Delta. Mean while, a flight of two C models come screaming in, you fly under them, make sure they are pointed at the mark, and clear them hot. TBS wouldn’t be essential for the mission, but would give you a better understanding of how the Arty guys are making their calculations, and what the ground guys are up to.

Sorry, no thesis statement, just trying to shed some light in a few areas.

bluto

The Corps must need more pilots some years from now because every squadron in Beaufort right now is overmanned. Most guys are only averaging around 10 hours a months unless their on det.

rrnavy

Does the USMC need more pilots than the nave. Im asking because i am still deciding which way to go navy or corps. Also do any of you know what type of ASTB scores are needed for USMC, are they the same as the navy, or diffrent?

reapergm

Man, rrnavy, I think you picked the wrong thread to post your question! Try asking that again in the Marine OCS and/or Navy OCS section.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
OK Guys.....

Navy to Marine is a GO..........
Your squadron CO's in Meridian have the word. Start getting your application packages together......

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Patmack18 said:
or just starting... that do want to do it?

do you have to

1) select (and get) jets then ask to be a marine

-or-

2) ask to be a marine, then get handed jets?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our squadron (VT-2) is taking strictly volunteers. You must have a 52+ NSS, or be on-track to have a 52.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
This is what I have just read. The transfer option will be offered to Meridian and Kingsville students. If the USMC cannot get 12-15 people from the two wings, only then will it be offered to the primary squadrons. The student’s who are selected to transfer will first have to get winged and then finish TBS before reporting to the RAG.

Mworrell22

I had someone ask around about this a few weeks ago and they told me that the Navy wasn't ready to let anyone transfer yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.