• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumper

Phrogdriver,
What are your thoughts on this as a Marine Officer/helo pilot/IP? How do you think something like this will work out in the Marine squadrons?

Devo

Marine SNA
Currently, I would choose the AV8B first. But I still have a lot of time to think about it. We are starting to hear some things about this here as well. But if things keep going the way they are now, there isn't going to be very many Navy guys around to transition. The only SNA's classing up these days are E2C2 folks and Marines. The Navy strike students are stuck in the pool until next FY.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
those guys who are stuck in the pool at kingsville, were given the option to start right away, get winged, go to TBS and then be recommissioned as a marine.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
bch,
are you saying that they will interservice transfer helo bubbas as well? How long is helo advanced? I heard that the helo guys were going to be exchange tour guys only.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
EOD,
What was passed to us was that it was a 48mos tour with the marines, then back to the navy command (for helo bubbas). The only interservice transfer I have heard been offered is to the pool guys in Krock.
No one has been able to say how the no time in airframe when you go back to the navy would effect you though.

Helo advanced is ~6 mos.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Patmack18 said:
Personally I think an exchange tour for jet guys makes more sense. Fly Hornets for the Marines, come back to the Navy, and you're still in the same airframe. Go fly Cobra's for the Marines, come back to the Navy... You gotta go back through the RAG, now you're a second tour JO w/ no experience in your community.

That makes sense, I mean a Marine has become a CO on a carrier, and then they have been talking about integrating Navy squadrons into the expeditionary groups as part of TACAIR integration. Although, I smell a little fear of TBS, does somebody not want to go?

Once they start asking for AF or Army pilots, then you know the world is going to hell!

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Hey Everybody,

Nothing has been approved and nothing has been decided. The transition thing has still alot of hoops to jump through. Strike slots will be dependent on whether they decide to transfer or exchange. Navy has too many and exchange program does'nt solve that problem. Transfer will be voluntary only and you will go to TBS. Alot of things have to be worked out. Everybody, don't go jumping off cliffs-----. I have more details but it will change with each day. So, I am hesitant to mention them. I will keep everybody posted as things become more stable.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I am interested to hear how they chose who is offered the chance to switch (provided they already have jet grades). Will it be a timing thing, or do you think this offer will stick for quite some time? I heard about this, but it went in one ear and out the other, because I didn't think it'd be possible. My eyes got big when I saw this thread. Can't wait to hear more details.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
If they put TBS to jets on the selection card out of Primary, some of the jets or death folk would jump on the opportunity. I saw a few with the 60+ NSS that surely would have gone for it.
I have a hard time seeing many people want to spend 6 months in the highlands of Quantico right after winging.

I for one would be very interested in transferring over. I had Marine Corps aviation as my first choice for service selection out of the academy, but was commissioned in the Navy because of the limited number of Marine slots out of the academy. I think the program would be great, since I know of others who were in the same situation I am in and I have also seen several of my Marine Corps friends from primary who were forced into taking jet spots when they didn’t even place jets on their selection cards. I say any program that can help get the best-qualified people in jobs they want will help increase retention and combat effectiveness.

Dustball

2nd LT
In my opinion I don't have any problem with Academy grads getting an oppertunity to switch from Navy to Marine because they worked hard I'm sure to graduate from the Academy, but just some Navy OCS or ROTC stud not even having to go through Marine OCS I don't think has earned it. I think it will cause alot of anomosity with Marines who have earned the title. I'm sure the powers that be with their vast knowledge and experience will listen to our opinions, look at the needs of the Corps, and in the end do whatever the hell they want to. As for me it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Dustball said:
In my opinion I don't have any problem with Academy grads getting an oppertunity to switch from Navy to Marine because they worked hard I'm sure to graduate from the Academy, but just some Navy OCS or ROTC stud not even having to go through Marine OCS I don't think has earned it. I think it will cause alot of anomosity with Marines who have earned the title. I'm sure the powers that be with their vast knowledge and experience will listen to our opinions, look at the needs of the Corps, and in the end do whatever the hell they want to. As for me it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Look at it this way, the OCS guys still went through Marine DI’s, and although they didn’t go through SULE II, they got some extra academic hazing.

On the enlisted side, once they finish boot camp there is no question about their title. Going through Marine OCS, you live in sort of a grey area until you punch the college ticket and earn your commission. The real transition for the Os takes place at TBS. Even if they begin as a squid, the staff platoon commanders that usually come from the “crunchy” side won’t let them leave without fully embracing the Corps values. The first few weeks, they would be a little out of place in a digital uniform, but I’m sure they would be rinsed free of the squid smell by the time they finished FEX I. They might even add words like “YUT” or “KILL” to their vocab.

-Just as a side note, at TBS, you will run into some that came from the AF academy or West Point. There were always some good cracks, but the ones that stepped up to the plate didn't have a problem.

wilsonator

simmer down dustballs, TBS doesn't make you a better pilot. if the navy dudes have to do TBS before switching, what's the problem? we're all on the same team in the end, right? whatever kills bad guys.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This wouldnt be the first time something like this happened. A friend of mine's uncle was an A-6 pilot in Vietnam and started at Navy OCS then someone said anyone who wants to be a Marine stand up and he did. He did TBS non-resident as he put it "I kicked some mud on my boots on the way to the mailbox" Im not saying I like this situation but it isnt unprecedented. The problem with them not switching over is you lose out on experienced second tour guys. If they stay Navy they get all this experience then the Marine Coprs never sees them again and that instituional knowledge is basically lost.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
i guess a main reason marine officers go through TBS is so that they all know what marines go through on the ground. A non-marine pilot who doesn't understand this might have problems when it comes to close air support... i.e. the air force and friendly fire incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.