• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

joining the Marine Corps flight program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse Wagner

dorliska, First let me say that the infomration you are giving is great, I appreciate it. I do have a few questions I think you can help me with. I am a recent college graduate, age 22, I hold a BS in communications with a minor in business managemnt, also an associates from a prior community college in psychology. My overall GPA is 3.2, major GPA 3.5, as far as medical goes I have no eye probelms, never had a broken bone, no major injures. However I do have allergies, more serious with the change of seasons seeing how I am allergic to pollen, but this problem can be corrected by simply taking calartin D. I talked to a Marine OSO before graduating, of course the flight contract was flashed in front of my face and I have not been the same since, being a pilot has long been a dream. Now, when I talked to the OSO I yet had to complete an internship with a highly awarded news television station in Tennessee, not knowing where the internship might lead I told the OSO I wanted to wait to see how things might work out before decinding totally on the military, seeing has how this would be a large commitment. I have some of the study literature for the ASTB gouge given by the OSO, he asked that I think about the offer, get all medical records and academic records together so that if i did decide then everything would be ready to go. He also said that the Marine Corps proably wouldn't not be so in need of pilots by the end of this year, but when I asked the same question again he said that most likely that would be needing pilots for the next three years. How true is this? I have had job offers in civilian positions that are tempting, of course nothing as exciting as piloting a military aircraft. My one worry is that I will enter OCS in good shape medically, then for some reason at the end they tell me that I am being DQ out of flight school, will the military just drop me then, or will I be assigned another position? Another question, what can I expect at OCS and the basic school? My email is jesseva31@yahoo.com if you would like to elborate on these questions more in depth. Again I thank you for taking the time to answer questions.

NavyOCS

How is OCS and TBS? Is it really difficult as far as the actual classroom stuff? What is the percent that say its not for them and drop?

Kat

hey.... I am about to graduate and I'm putting together my app now, I am hoping for an aviation contract with the marines. If/When they take me I would go into OCS in June so I would love any info about what im getting myself into... I'm really excited already, I just have to get through this last semester coming up and I'll finally be on my way to doing something I will actually enjoy, and as crazy as it sounds, I cant wait for OCS, I know it will be hard, but everything I've got ahead of me just seems so much better than a boring deskjob (now that I wouldn't be able to handle) :)

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by BriSimm007
How is OCS and TBS? Is it really difficult as far as the actual classroom stuff? What is the percent that say its not for them and drop?

At OCS we dropped a little under 50% of our Candidates, but that was a couple years ago and attrition doesn't seem to be that high anymore. Keep in mind the majority of these candidates were sent home, only a small percentage dropped on request. I couldn't imagine the total percentage ever being less than 20% though, no matter how tough selection gets.

At TBS you don't really ever get dropped, you just may get recycled for all eternity. I am currently being recycled at TBS for broken feet, but there is no threat of losing my commission. Lt's may hang around for a full 2 years before finishing the 6 month TBS POI, but they are Marines and will graduate eventually(unless they decide to resign their commissions).

As far as classroom work is concerned, I don't think it is anything to worry about. However, the physical trash is no joke (in my humble opinion).

NavyOCS

what causes you to get "sent home". Not making your bed, being out of shape, goofing off or anything not done by protocol? Why do guys leave on their own? I am just curious about what exactly I am getting myself into.

NavyOCS

what causes you to get "sent home". Not making your bed, being out of shape, goofing off or anything not done by protocol? Why do guys leave on their own? I am just curious about what exactly I am getting myself into.

zamirs

hey guys,

i would appreciate any information anyone can offer. i am trying to find out what the age cap is for the marine corps flight program. i spoke to an nrotc officer who has her wings but she was unsure if the cap was:

-commission before/by 27; OR
-acceptance to flight school before/by 27; OR
-beginning flight school before/by 27; OR
-earning your wings before/by 27

better yet, tell me everything you know about the marine corps flight program. thanks.

Crowbar

None
Zamirs-
The cutoff used to be that you had to start training by 27.5 yrs old. Then it moved up to 29.5 yrs old. Then it seemed that everybody and their brother was getting an age waiver for pilot/NFO slots. Hell, Strom Thurmond could have probably gotten one. Then last year, MCRC came out and said that flight guarantees would no longer be granted past 29 yrs old, waivable based on the "whole Marine" concept. (See USMC forum, topic called "OLD AGE"). I tried to keep it all straight because I would be just over the 29 yr thing myself. I will finish TBS the same month I turn 29, and I probably won't actually start training until 29.5-ish. Yet, last week I got my approval letter for my SNFO guarantee. So, ask, the worst anybody can say is "No", right?

As far as "tell me everything you know about the marine corps flight program", that's a pretty tall order. Look around the board some. Spend a while reading and you can find out plenty.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by BriSimm007

Well, the underlying factor of getting sent home is that those who fall behind the pack are usually sent home. If you fall out of more than one or two runs, you will probably be sent home. If you are usually one of the last candidates done with making your bed, getting dressed, or anything else, you will probably be sent home. If you ever do anything to highlight yourself as being worse than the pack, you will probably be sent home. Noone is perfect though, so there is room to counterbalance your strengths with your weaknesses at OCS. Unfortunately, there is a large group of candidates that simply "can't hack it".

People leave on their own for various reasons, the most predominant being that OCS sucks ass. While I never did get a chance to talk to any of those who left mysteriously in the middle of the night, I would imagine they had convinced themselves that the Marine Corps was not for them, and that they didn't want to waste any more time in Quantico. Everyone reacts to that situation differently, and I guess some just choose "flight" instead of "fight".

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
While I never did get a chance to talk to any of those who left mysteriously in the middle of the night, I would imagine they had convinced themselves that the Marine Corps was not for them, and that they didn't want to waste any more time in Quantico.

Guys really do leave in the middle of the night? How do they get past the gate?

NavyOCS

Fall behind the pack? Is that just sucking at running and being last or what? If your running a sub 20min. 3 mile, will that put you in the middle? Also, are most guys in OCS straight from college or are they prior enlisted? I would imagine OCS for priors would be a whole lot easier.

DFuqua86

Why do Marines offer you a guaranteed spot in flight school

I'm a history major with an alright gpa and ive had no problem with getting picked for plc air why is it that people in the navy and air force seem to have a much harder time?

kaiangel

I am not in the Marine Corps, but this is my understanding of it. In the Navy and Air Force, aviation slots are about as "respected" as you can get. However, in the Marines, the combat arms/ground side is more sought after. In fact, whenever you talk with ground types, they often talk negatively about aviators. It is just the Marine Corps mentality that everyone is there to support the infantry marine. Again, that is just my take on it.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
well, that may be a reason in some peoples' minds, but I doubt that is the real reason.

The Marine Corps is significantly smaller than the Navy or Air Force, and consequently, so is our officer corps. Fewer officers = fewer pilots as a whole. Granted, this doesn't explain the need to fill them.... for that, I would imagine it's because not many people want to be a Marine. Many join the Navy or Air Force because they want to be a "fighter pilot." You have to want to be a Marine first, and a pilot second and frankly, most people are not willing to do that, or put up with all the training we have to do.

So in summary....the Navy and Air Force are soft.... and scared :)

Status
Not open for further replies.