• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

joining the Marine Corps flight program

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic22

Quick overview of Marine Corps flight program

I am thinking about going for a Marine aviation slot. Can anyone give me a quick overview of what the process is after you get selected and how long it takes to get your wings?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Both Marine and Navy (as well as Coast Guard) are considered Naval Aviators and upon designation all wear the same "Wings of Gold." There is no difference in flight training until after you are already winged -and in most cases the RAG (or FRS - whatever you want to call it) is joint as well.

nic22

Thanks 46 Driver. What is TBS and does it take longer to go from OCS to Primary for the marines?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
TBS stands for "The Basic School". Although we make fun of it (i.e., Trainees Being Saluted, The Big Suck, Thousands Being Stupid, etc) it is actually a very good concept. All Marine officers - regardless of MOS - go to TBS to learn about all facets of the Corps, in particular infantry. (This also leads to Marine OCS being nothing more than a grueling process of separating the wheat from the chaff by some HARD Staff and Gunnery Sergeants - the real learning process starts at TBS.)

The timeline goes like this upon graduation and commissioning as a 2nd Lt. You wait for your TBS class (some go immediately, some wait for up to 6 months until your class is assigned). 6 months of TBS and then you wait for flight school - once again, sometimes you go straight to Pensacola and sometimes there is up to an 8 month wait. Flight school takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years and then you go to the FRS which can take another 4 to 8 months - finally, you arrive in the fleet. So to answer your question, it takes longer for the Marine to arrive at Primary than the Navy but generally its a good deal because you show up already knowing a bunch of guys and there is a good bit of gouge floating around.

For an example: I was commissioned in June '89, started TBS in Nov '89, started flight school in Dec '90 and winged in Jul '92 - finally arrived in the fleet in Dec '92.

Hope this helps - and wish I could trace places (well, after OCS...)

PS: That's Marines with a capital "M"!

juiceman

well, if your eyes are borderline, and you get in for the sna, or nfo training, can't you get laser eye surgery. I heard somewhere that you can get the eye surgery after you make it

Beaver

I was told recently in a aviation brief here at TBS that they won't let you switch from NFO to Pilot if you get the surgery, but they may have just been trying to discourage people from trying.
I wouldn't count on doing that, though.

akmoon

How bad does a couple run-ins with the law hurt someones chances of becoming a Marine aviator? I have two blemishes from back in late 95-early 96 and one from 2000. Nothing major by any means - just young, gung-ho, and stupid. To what degree will this affect my application? Any info on the subject is appreciated.

Potter1

It doesn't look that good on an application. I was accepted to OCC 184 and also had a friend that applied for the same class. He had a DWI that was reduced to a PI on his record. He had to obtain a waiver and was not accepted to OCC 184. On the positive side if you can put together a solid application in all other areas(PFT, accomplishments, references, ASTB score, etc.)you might have a shot. I was told by my OSO that if you have one minor setback on your application you can overcome it but if there is more than one it will be real tuff to overcome.

Good Luck

Hampton

How many flight physicals do you go through before primary? Do any of you remember if they do an echocardiogram (sonogram of your heart) or do they just do an EKG and chest X-ray.

akmoon

I don't have anything as serious as a DWI - just a drunk in public back in 95, a noise violation in early 96 and an obstructing an officer in 2000. Some guys sucker-punched my roomate at a concert and I basically cleaned up the mess, so to speak. The police officer was not appreciative. I know it looks terrible in the packet, but I couldn't sit around and watch my boy get jumped and beat down.
Other than that I just hope the rest of my packet speaks louder than my brushes with the law. I've been told my PFT has to be nothing less than perfect.

outlawz2323

hey dorliska

I'm a college student who is just now starting to apply for the PLC aviation program into the marines. I have 20/40 eyes, and I know that the minimum is 20/40. I don't know wheather to get the PRK surgery or not. what happens if my vision craps out BEFORE I get to pensacola? Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by outlawz2323

hey dorliska

I'm a college student who is just now starting to apply for the PLC aviation program into the marines. I have 20/40 eyes, and I know that the minimum is 20/40. I don't know wheather to get the PRK surgery or not. what happens if my vision craps out BEFORE I get to pensacola? Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Not Dorliska. .but I say don't get it (if you're indeed 20/40). I was 20/40 and sweated it a lot and second guessed not getting the surgery A LOT . . and it really wasn't a big deal. One civilian in Quantico wanted to say I wasn't 20/40 (durning TBS) but it didn't matter. I went to API and they were pretty liberal. . were much more concerned with the corrected vision. And once you pass the initial API physical, you're good to go to 20/100 for all airframes.

Suffice to say you need to get the 20/40 on your flight physical to get accepted. Once you're there. .try not to worry and get yourself down to Pensacola.

In the jet pipeline, we are encouraged to wear contacts, especially for ACM. . .etc. And the damn flight glasses let in too much engine noise for me.

my couple pennies

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I'm a PLC-Candidate waiting for my boot camp date (this december)... I have a couple questions regarding flight trainig. I have my private pilot's license and about 80 hours of flight time... by the time I graduate I'll have about double that... what bearing does that have on the awarding of pilot slots? Also, at what point in your PLC trainig do you receive a guaranteed flight contract (if its possible). Any answers you have wouuld be much appreciated, thanks.

die2fly

whats goin on? im new top the forum just happend to run by it surfing the net. Ummm im a college soph. at ODU in VA. I just got back from joining the reserves. The Oso contacted me in reference to joining the PLC program with a guaranteed flight contract. what steps should in take to prepare myself for training ect.?

Status
Not open for further replies.