• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

joining the Marine Corps flight program

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorliska

I am a 2nd Lt. in the Marine Corps stationed at The Basic School right now. On July 1st I leave here to report to Pensacola for NFO training. If anyone has any questions about what you have to do to get into aviation in the Marine Corps or what it is like going through all the grunt training at OCS and TBS, just drop me a line. I actually used to be a pilot contract until my eyesight crapped out on me and I am in the process of trying to get PRK with the Marines. But right now I am an NFO contract. I know a great deal about the matter though so just drop me a line. Also, if there are any Marine NFO's out there, I have some questions for you. email: c4dor4@earthlink.net

gq

Is the Marine Aviation backed up like the Navy? And what kind of Astb scores or overall package should an applicant have? And any other advice that you can think of. Thanks!! Sorry for so many Questions I'm curious..

dorliska

no, the Corps is actually hurting for pilots still, in fact guys are having to wait a long time to get ground slots as officers, but they are taking pilot contracts left and right. 120 of the Lt's here at TBS in my company of 236 are air contracts if that shows anything. As far as your overall package, unless it has changed from when I first got my air contract you need a 464 composite score on the astb and a minumum 2.0 gpa and it doesn't matter what your degree program is.(I have a B.A. in Government!, but better grades means you're package looks better) Of course you have to pass all the same medical requirements because the Navy does all the medical for the Corps. And you need to be in decent physical shape because it is the Marine Corps, but you can work your way up before OCS(talk to an OSO for their specific requirements) So if you think being a Marine Officer sounds like it's for you, with aviation as your main job of course, then look into it. Don't worry though, you mainly just fly, only switching to a ground job after a few years, and that ground job (B billet) doesn't have to be grunt stuff or anything. There is all kinds of different things. The thing is just that the Marine Corps is more concerned that you are a leader of Marines first, in whatever area.

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
What happened to your eyes? I'm concerned in this area. I got selected for sna with 20-40(minus two) when the requirement is 20-40(minus zero) I'm concerned that I'll be dropped later because of this. If I've already been selected, am I safe with my eyesight with the way it is, or does it need to be better for a later eyecheck, lemme know, thanks!

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

Rayman

There is a thread in this forum that the Corps is not giving any age waivers anymore, how true is this?

hotshotgunship

I'am interested in joining thec corps aviavtion program. I had some questions and comments. I talked to the OSO, and they told me that if I can get PRK, then I can get the eye waiver, is that true??? My eyes right now are 20/60 uncorrected. Can you tell me the complete process you went through before you got TBS/OCS. What were the steps starting the day you first talk to the OSO. I would like to get an idea of what I'm going to go through. At whatpoint in time did you take the ASTB, and were the questions almost exactly like the ASTB prep on this site.Are the requirements for HELOS less than jets. What type of medical waivers do the corps offer. How about dental requirements. Are they harsh with the dental requirements to fly for the corps???? These questions are what I would like to know, beings as though you know from experience. Answer as many questiona as you can. Any or all will do. Thanks Alot

dorliska

as far as my eyes, I have a slight refractory error. 20/10 in my left, 20/40 in my right. 20/40 is the cutoff but the allowable refractory error is +or- 1, I have -1.25 in my right. So I got switched from front seat to NFO a week before I got commissioned. I'm in the process right now of getting the Marine Corps to let me have the PRK, we'll see how that goes. If any of you have gotten your flight contract with a full flight physical, then you are good to go. Age waivers: not sure about that, ask an OSO. As far as PRK, yes if you really want to be a pilot then get the PRK. If your vision is 20/20 afterwords then you can get a waiver. One of my roomates and another buddy of mine here at TBS have PRK waivers. Not a big deal from what I've seen. It is just hard for me because I am active duty and I have to get it approved through my chain of command. As for the ASTB, get a book called Military Flight Aptitude Tests 5th addition by ARCO. The practice test for Navy/Marine Corps is the exact same stuff as the real one. As for your score, it has nothing to do with what you will fly in the future. I think there is a difference in the minimum score between NFO and pilot though. Medical waivers: no big deal unless you have like a plate in your head or something. I have flat feet, knee surgery, and allergies. I got all of those waivered. As for medical, you just have to fight it if they try to disqualify you, because the damn Navy doctors will try to DQ you for any little thing, don't let them. They tried to DQ me about three different times on different occassions before I got commissioned.
Also, try to send me a message if you have specific questions, so I can keep track of everything. Later.

Jeremy

Sweet, I am trying to get back in the Corps as a pilot as well. We'll see how everything pans out. I don't wear glasses and I am fairly intelligent (rolls eyes) so I hope I can get through everything. Let me know how everything goes dorliska.

-Jeremy

reapergm

Hows it goin? My name is Gavin and I am going through the motions to hopefully go to OCS this Fall. I just took the Flight Physical yesterday in Rhode Island. It was a pain in the ass but everything went well. Few things. 1st is that I have terrible vision(uncorrected) so I need to go for the NFO contract. They told me not to get the PRK before hand, that I had a better shot of getting when I got commission, for 3 reasons. First, they said my package would look better without a waiver, second, it would be harder to get the waiver not getting the PRK from a military doc, and 3rd it would be better financially. They said the wait for PRK's is around 6 months for aviation contract, and 2 years for others (once commissioned). Also I heard that the aviation indoctrine is the same for pilots and NFOs, so doing well in the stick time you get as an NFO, then getting the PRK, you have a good shot. I don't know if Im right, but thats what I've been told. I just want to be an officer though. They told me I needed atleast a 185 on the PFT for NFO (I got a 154), and the 4-6-4 on the ASTB by this July. Im a college grad. They also said going OCC is going to be alot more competitive than if I had gone PLC. So if you're in school, start trying now.

dorliska

reapergm, I would check into the PRK more because I am in the process of trying to have it done now that I am active duty and it is a real pain in the ass. The air officer here at TBS told me that if you come into the Marine Corps as an NFO contract, they won't let you have PRK and switch, because they would never have anybody that wanted to stay NFO. The only reason I am trying is because I originally joined PLC as a front seater, then my vision slipped later. Apparently there is some loop hole which is what I am trying to shoot for. And like I said before, my roomate as well as several others in my platoon here had PRK before joining and had no problem getting a waiver. Also the flight surgeon here at TBS said that the only way to get on the government PRK list is if you are a pilot already(they want to keep you flying), Naval Academy, or special ops. So I wouldn't believe what your OSO said, it is pretty contradictory to everything I have been told here. (OSO's don't always no the full truth, talk to a Navy flight surgeon)

USMC NFO contract about to graduate TBS

rare21

pilot
Contributor
hey dor, its garcia from UT..hope you remember me. Hey man its cool that you're coming down i'm here in Pensacola and I start API tomorrow. U should talk to Danny Martinez who's here (i'll give you his number if you want it) i know Pasquali classed up last week. Good luck man drop me a line.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
reapergm,

I was told by my OSO that min. ASTB scores are 5/6/5 but I would suggest shooting for higer than that. PFT sounds about right .. my OSO said the high 270's and above but remember that the run time is what they put the most weight on.

Peace,

-Spin

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
Actually, the refractive error is +or- 1 for astygmatism and +or- 1.5 for myopia, not sure which you have, but you may want to check it out, I have -1.5 20/40(minus two) each eye, and got selected for sna, pretty much right on the border for vision requirements. If it was +or- 1 I don't think I would have been selected?

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Does the board actually look at what your vision is or just that your visually qualified. (i.e. I have 20/25 .. if someone else had similar stats in all areas and their vision was say 20/20 or 20/15 would they get chosen over me)? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.