• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

joining the Marine Corps flight program

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The pilot/every-Marine-a-rifleman horse was beaten into glue a long time ago, so I won't readdress it. The issue of employability of NFOs in the civ sector piqued my interest, though. Employers do look favorably on any military experience, provided you did well. This is especially true for extremely technical jobs, for example, cryptography, nuclear submarines, etc. It's also true in regards to leadership and managerial ability, e.g. a unit commander or department head. If, during a career as NFO, you can get yourself into one of these categories, you will be in good stead. For example, get a job doing test and eval on a piece of radar gear and you might get a job with the company that makes it later.

However, if you plan on parlaying NFO experience into the airlines, better start getting your civilian tickets and start building hours instructing at Bob's FBO at the airport now. Military PILOTS with 2000 hours get jobs with the RJs earning $15,000-25,000, if they get hired at all. It used to be that NFOs could squeak into the airlines as flight engineers in the big jets. Now, the big jets only have a 2 man cockpit crew. This is a big reason that NFOs stay in the service at a greater rate than pilots.

Phrogs phorever

Crowbar

None
46Driver-
You bet. Operation Noble Obelisk. At the last minute, A 1/10 took over as security detail but it got my attention and made me really think about what I was doing calling myself a Marine. We may have been getting a different story to keep us on our toes since we were supposed to be security, they made it sound like a damn death sentence to be in that city.

Were you on the Ponce or Kearsarge?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Small world. I came over TAD from 266 and took over as the AMO on the Ponce. Arrived in Sigonella - missed Varna but got to see Constanza and Odessa (ya gotta love Russian girls...) Trying to remember: when y'all did the evac, were they able to get 100 people on board one of the 53E's or did they top out in the 90's?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Military PILOTS with 2000 hours get jobs with the RJs earning $15,000-25,000, if they get hired at all.

Serving for 8 years in the Marines only gets you 2000 flight hours? I thought it would be way more than that...

"There were many airplanes, but it was the skinny bird that scared us the most."
- Iraqi POW on the AH-1W Cobra -

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I had my 8 year anniversary last month and I'm at 1650. Next April will be 6 years from the my winging. I'm probably at about the mean, though I'm hoping to pull ahead a little with this flight school gig!

Phrogs phorever

Nikki

Does anyone know what the odds are for a female getting picked to go to OCS for the flight program? I am currently enlisted in the Air Force, but want to cross over to the Marine Corps as a pilot. I have some information, but what do I need to do to get accepted into OCS and how many people actually make it through OCS?

Beaver

Your odds are pretty good as long as you have a respectable application. A friend of mine was selected and the OSO loved her because she fullfilled both a female slot and a pilot slot, which is in high demand right now. She didn't make it through, though because of an injury. I've heard that the drop rate for females is pretty high, perhaps over 50%.
In order to get in you need a good PFT score, to pass a flight physical, and to pass the ASTB. Other than that it's pretty standard.

Nikki

Yeah, I am fairly prone to injuries, but I think it would be worth trying my hardest not to get injured...lol. My pft score right now is 268, but I think I could raise it to about a 288 if I tried really hard. Thank you for the info.

ruthlesspeed

I attended OCS last summer....have an air contract (pilot) and am attending TBS this Dec....

If you havent attended OCS....start training six months before hand. You should go into OCS with a PFT of atleast 250 to be comfortable....start getting in the habit of drinking lots of water. Keep a positive attitude and you'll graduate no problem :)

Nikki

I still have about a year until I would going, because I am in my senior year and am active duty airforce already. What is pro rec'd???? I am about to take my pft for the af. They are having us run now instead of the dumb ergometry test thank god!! I will see what I get. We don't get a score and we do pushups instead of pullups. I have to get 54 situps to pass, I usually get 88 so I should be good and I run 3 miles in 24 min right now I am working toward 21 min. I have muscular legs and I think the bulk slows me down. my pic is on my profile ...I look a bit chunky in it.grrrr. Need to run that crap off!! Thanks bunches.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
This is just my opinion, but I believe you'd better be doing way better than a 250 to be "comfortable" at OCS. You should be running a 270 or higher at least. Anything above that may help you to be a little more "comfortable". You should only be doing a 250 if you're hung-over, have the flu, and a possible broken leg. Seriously though, the PFT average is well above the 250, so you'll be behind your peers if that's your goal. Our PFT avg. was around 275, so think about it. Good luck, and as said earlier, start training well in advance of OCS.

Nikki

Well, again right now I am at a 268 on the pft. I am sure I can raise it to a 290 in the next year. Last time I was timed was about 2 months ago, and I have been working out like crazy so I am sure it is at a 270 by now. thanks

nic22

I am thinking about going for a marine aviation slot, do they still have slots open or are they full for the next year and a half like the Navy?
Do marine pilots go through the same training with SNAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.