• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

joining the Marine Corps flight program

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
It's not that Marines on the ground have a dislike for aviators, although there always will be rivalry between the two communities. Personally, I think that it has to do with two things: 1. Marines are, by nature, extreme examples of the type A personality. There's endless trash-talking, not just between ground folks and air wing people, but also between different jobs on the ground. It's just the way we are in the Corps. 2. There is a huge difference in the command climates of (for example) an infantry battallion and a squadron. True, we're all Marines first and foremost, but each MOS receives extensive training in its own respective areas. I know that when I was a young Lance Corporal in the wing, I used to look at some of the stuff the grunts did and cringe. My friends who were prior-enlisted infantry guys have all told me that they did the same thing whenever they saw us wingers. In some respects, you could look at it like a body: The individual missions of the different organs may be different, but the overall goal of keeping the organism alive and functioning properly remains the same. Just my take on it.

usmcecho4

pilot
I believe that the guaranteed flight slots result from the fact that the Marine Corps needs to have 2,044 aviators in order to keep all their aircraft flying. Considering that the total officer corps numbers only 16,058; approx 1/8 of all officers are aviators. In order to achieve yields like this consistently the Corps needs to have guaranteed aviator slots or risk falling short and negatively affecting readiness.

S/F,
usmcecho4

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also some not all of your techno engineer types are scared off by the six months of fun in the quantico swamps therefore they are more likely to go to the other services and so our beloved Corps gives aviation guarantees to lowly history majors like me who liked the options if flight school didnt work out int he Marine Corps a lot better than driving a boat around (No offense to those who do it and do it well lots of offense to those on my last Amphib they sucked)

makoslim

Air candidate 188
kaiangel said:
In the Navy and Air Force, aviation slots are about as "respected" as you can get.
I always thought that was funny considering the Corp. kicks everyones butts in air exercises. I've heard we then in turn get our butts kicked by the IDF pilots however, is that true?

d_bossart

My OSO once said that 1/3 of the Marine officer corps are aviators and that the Corps has one of the largest air forces in the world. Regardless, I believe that SkidKid is right, people just don't want to go play in the tree line for 6 months after commissioning.

stevew

The Corps' "guaranteed" air slot is no different from that of being accepted to the Navy with an air slot. They just use this as a recruiting ploy to get people to sign up. At different periods in time it is harder/easier to get a slot with the Navy/MC. Both will guarantee you a spot in flight school before you sign on the dotted line, whether you are going BDCP, OCS, PLC, or OCC. The only time you may not get the guarantee is with NROTC, but that applies to both Navy and Marines. There was a long thread on this a while back try doing a search.

luscombepilot

Airport Bum
does the aviation guarantee just offer you a spot in flight school, or does it also offer, upon proficient completion, a spot in a squadron actually flying the aircraft you trained for. My dad told me he had heard some people went all the way through flight school, and then they were given a desk, or put on a boat or something like that.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
all it gives you is a shot in API (first step in 'flight school')
what happens from there depends solely on your performance

if you successfully complete the program and wing, you will go to the RAG, train in a specific airframe, then go to a fleet squadron to fly that aircraft. some time will be spent behind a desk (collateral duties) or on a boat (deployed), but you're still flying.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Aviation Guarantee

First of all the OSO can only put in some many people (especially OCC) do to be spaces at OCS, basic allocations for Officers, and some legal stuff you'll find in Title 10 of US Code I'm sure.

The OSO can over write the number of applicants he finds and stuff like that, but the magic number will stay the same for OCS bed spaces. OSO has 3 air slots and 5 guys/girls = two guys/girls ain't going. Period. Unless the OSO's guys/girls are better than some other OSO based off of whatever (i.e. PFT score, GPA, SAT/ACT/ASVAB, etc...). It's always about getting the best and the brightest no matter what.

The Marine Corps can offer guaranteed air slots because it's going to pick the best and the brightest. Therefore, to guarantee a slot is not a big deal, besides the fact of finding people that can pass the ASTB, flight physicals, and want to run through the Quantico Outback for 6 or 10 weeks. However, the Marine Corps does have the second most airframes next to the Air Force only. http://www.marineofficer.com.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
samadma,

How bout some TAI numbers to back up that statment about AC numbers. Where in Ohio are you an OSO?

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Can't post numbers for various reasons of national security of course. However, the district missions out to make sure that they meet there requirement to the Region. Then the Region missions out to meet Recruiting Commands needs. Just like going to Las Vegas the house will always win. Therefore, the mission is usually upped by each chain of command to make sure mission is met at the top (Manpower). However, the number of bed spaces at OCS doesn't change (Candidates need somewhere to sleep right?). Therefore, the Marine Corps can only have a certain magical number to fill the requirement, so they can pick the best and the brightest of what the OSOs bring to the table. Does that make sense? I'm the OSO in North Eastern Ohio.

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
Does anyone know what the breakdown is for Jet/Prop/Helo slots in the Marines? I either here there are hardly any Jet slots. Or, most Marines Aviators want to fly Helicopters because it keeps them closer to the ground guys. Or most recently, there's tons of Hornet slots available.

Status
Not open for further replies.