• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

joining the Marine Corps flight program

Status
Not open for further replies.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Air Slots

Air slots are dependent on your OSO's mission. GPA in college doesn't have as much of an effect as a high PFT score and passing the ASTB. However, it is a factor.

mcporet

Marine Corps Guaranteed Flight Program

My son has signed a contract to attend PLC next summer with a guaranteed seat in flight training upon commissioning. My question is, What are the "catches" or "gotchas" with this contract? Is this "guarantee" on the up and up, or should we be cautious? He will attend PLC in the summer, return to college to complete the last semester, graduate and be commissioned in December prior to attending TBS.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
He's guaranteed a seat at Aviation Preflight Indoc (API) so long as he upholds his end of the bargain -- passing OCS, graduating, commissioning, passing TBS, passing a flight physical. If he can do all that, then he is provided the chance to prove he has what it takes, so to speak, to stay in the program. If he passes API, he goes to Primary. From there he'll select his pipeline based on 1) needs of the Marine Corps 2) performance in primary 3) preference. If he succeeds all the way and makes it through Advanced, he'll wing as a Naval Aviator in whatever airframe he selects out of there (based on same criteria as above) I prefer not to think of it as a 'guarantee' as that leads to a lot kids thinking they are somehow entitled to it. Think of it as a contract - you uphold your end, the Corps upholds their's.

mcporet

Thanks Squeeze. After 20 years in the World's Greatest Navy, I'm well aware of the requirement to do one's part to maintain the bilateral contract. I was recently discussing my son's plan with a friend (former enlisted Marine and Naval Officer) who made comments that caused me to question the details of the program. No worries, he's a Master Chief's son, he'll do his part!

Status
Not open for further replies.